Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boatertn

Amazon Prime fee of $199.99 plus tax

Jump to solution

Tried to install Amazon Prime through ROKU screen came up to complete the install. Called the number on the screen Rock Digital claims to be selling 5 years of Amazon Prime for a one time fee of $199.99 plus tax total $249.99. Amazon has no such feature.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Activation scam: Amazon Prime fee of $199.99 plus tax $249.99

Jump to solution

Hi @Boatertn,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We're sorry about the issue. It sounds like you weren't speaking with a Roku representative. Roku will never charge you an activation or support fee, and we won't ask for sensitive details like payment information over the phone, or ask for remote access to your computer.

You can find a bit more information on how to protect yourself from scams here.

In this case, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able to further assist you.

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance or clarification.

Regards,
Mary

Additional topics you might find helpful:

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku activation fee scam - Amazon Prime fee of $199.99 plus tax

Jump to solution

Hello @Ptecsaba

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Please be advised that Roku® does not require an activation fee, registration fee, or charge for support of any kind. 

If you believe that you have interacted with a fraudulent website or fallen victim to an activation or technical support scam, please tell us about your experience, and if desired, request follow up from a Roku customer service agent.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Rock Digital Scam

Jump to solution

@Boatertn wrote:

Tried to install Amazon Prime through ROKU screen came up to complete the install. Called the number on the screen Rock Digital claims to be selling 5 years of Amazon Prime for a one time fee of $199.99 plus tax total $249.99. Amazon has no such feature.

Do you have a screen shot of the message? Or can you get one?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Activation scam: Amazon Prime fee of $199.99 plus tax $249.99

Jump to solution

Hi @Boatertn,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We're sorry about the issue. It sounds like you weren't speaking with a Roku representative. Roku will never charge you an activation or support fee, and we won't ask for sensitive details like payment information over the phone, or ask for remote access to your computer.

You can find a bit more information on how to protect yourself from scams here.

In this case, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able to further assist you.

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance or clarification.

Regards,
Mary

Additional topics you might find helpful:

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
crapsetup
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same thing happened to me today.  Roku WTF, why would you have a security hole this big for potential users of your product to get scammed.  Dummy up.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Did the phone number actually appear on your TV screen, or was there a web link that you typed into a browser? My guess is the latter, and you made an error typing the web address. Those scammers make URLs that are almost identical to the real one, with a slight difference that takes you to their scam site. Roku doesn't charge for any sort of registration, and Amazon is subscribed to directly with Amazon. There is no security hole in the Roku OS. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
crapsetup
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

website that was listed on the roku tv.  went to my computer and punched it in.  Setting up Roku I didn't know you didn't or did  have a phone number to phone .. Might be nice to put this as a warning on your screen with the code etc to avoid people having to go through this and cancel there credit cards at christmas and change there e mails etc for a **bleep** tv set up.  How are people supposed to know your procedure if you leave a gaping hole for scammers,  then that's the customer whose first time set up is following your instructions into a scam.  Even if it's only a small percentage of your customer's if they have a business exploiting this "hole"then who is the originator of said "hole" to be exploited. Fix it.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Are you talking about Roku or Amazon?  Roku changed their link method to email-based some time back, but the Amazon Prime App (which is written and controlled by Amazon) is still using a URL link method.  (And counting on the user to be able to type that accurately.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

There's no "hole" to fix. You did not type the URL on the screen exactly as shown. The scammers count on you to make an error. It was very likely a tiny change from the correct URL, which they are hoping you'd miss. Many people do it. The other problem is the web browser tries to "guess" what you're typing, and offers suggested sites that they think match. Again, those scammers make an effort for their bogus site to appear higher in the list of supported sites. I'm the moderator of several forums, and am constantly deleting bogus posts that the scammers use to make their web site appear higher in the suggestions. 

And if you're referring to Amazon Prime, Roku has no control over what you saw on the screen. Talk to Amazon about their linking procedure, as they have sole control over it. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
crapsetup
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes ,you are correct.  It's the users fault for not typing it properly to go through a website through prime on your roku device.  Sorry please disregard me getting scammed and all the people before me listing this grievance on your website.  It's entirely our fault that this happened , it's only a coincidence that it's happening to so many and that it's through a Roku device.  If your the technical fix for this "non" situation then I guess it will continue to be your new customer's problem not yours.  Kudos

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have no idea if anyone from Amazon reads this website.  So, you should probably try contacting them directly.

Sorry you got scammed though.

(By the way @atc98092 and I are other users.)