Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skippette77
Reel Rookie

Ripped Off For Nothing. My Bad Judgement

Ok, I was trying to add LocalBTV which to my understanding is free. When entering the code to activate, it said I needed to call 800 #to activate. Somehow I get this guy and I get charged $199.99 for nothing. Stopped payment and reset to factory on Roku. Worried things can go really wrong, Has anybody else had this problem or have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Re: Ripped Off For Nothing. My Bad Judgement

Yes, you got scammed. Roku never charges for installing channels.

If you gave a charge card number, I would cancel the card ASAP.

0 Kudos
Skippette77
Reel Rookie

No, I used PayPal thank God. When I went to my PayPal it was already invoiced and couldn't stop it. Yet when I went to my bank acct. it was still pending. So that is where I stopped it. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

It’s a common scam.  Some video channel/device tells you to go to a specific URL and enter a code.  But people routinely fail to go to that specific URL.  They throw that URL into a search engine, or they start typing and accept some suggested site and they end up at some URL that isn’t anything like the specific URL but the page says stuff about linking stuff so they think they’re in the right place.  That page always says that something went wrong and you have to call them so they can size you up and figure out the best scam for you. One guy ended up getting the "you have a virus on your computer" scam (that was somehow preventing his Roku from linking) and paid them $900 to install remote control software and probably other malware on his PC.

0 Kudos
Alfredo-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @Skippette77, thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

We want to clarify that Roku will never charge any setup or troubleshooting fees.
Any charges from Roku will be from subscriptions you choose to sign up for. They will be billed to the payment method introduced during setup.

Please read this article so that you can protect yourself in the future: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068
We are going to send you a PM so we can gather more information on this. Please be on the lookout for us!

0 Kudos