Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghb51
Level 9

Re: Removing channels online

"microlady" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:
It would be nice to be able to remove channels online, my folks just ran into this problem when they set up an account for my 1st gen Roku that i gave them, they added some channels online but some didn't install because they weren't compatible with the older Roku, so there's no way to remove them from their account, they're not on the Roku itself so they can't uninstall from there and of course they can't uninstall online. Which actually brings up something else, they said that some of the channels showed as incompatible when they tried to install, but obviously others didn't and showed as installed even though they weren't.

I can admit this is a problem. Hope someone can think of a solution. I can say that from my situation I did learn having 2 Rokus meant having 2 sets of channels online.  I have the original Roku also, from 2008 and had a few channels on it (Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, etc).  In 2014 I bought a Roku 3500 stick and installed it.  When I went to the channel store, I found it had lots of channels I could install so I added a bunch of them until at one point Roku said I did not have enough memory to add more. I decided I better get rid of a few, just to make sure. That's when I found out that the Roku store had a different page for the original Roku box vs the new Roku 3500 stick.  And to make it more confusing the older Roku showed some channels I had added to the stick and said they were installed, but I  could not access them. What worked was using the new 3500 stick to access the channel store and using its remote with the star (asterisk) button and removed excess channels so that my old Roku now only shows me the few actually installed and will work from the box, and my Roku stick will show me what I installed on the stick and will work from the stick.  The only problem I did run into was the 3500 stick had a problem actually accessing Netflix.  I gave up and use my 2008 Roku box exclusively.  I, too, saw channels as installed that were listed and I did use the stick remote to access the channels on the stick and deleted them using the star button. If it sounds confusing I believe it still is.  I did not have to access Netflix to delete channels but I did use the stick menu to show channels and the stick remote to delete them.  If you can find something here to help....that would be great.

Ahh thanks, i just emailed my folks and told them to try putting their newer Roku onto the account they made for the old one and just uninstall them from the new Roku and then move the new Roku back to it's original account. If it works i'll tell them they have microlady to thank.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

Re: Removing channels online

"ghb51" wrote:
"microlady" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:
It would be nice to be able to remove channels online, my folks just ran into this problem when they set up an account for my 1st gen Roku that i gave them, they added some channels online but some didn't install because they weren't compatible with the older Roku, so there's no way to remove them from their account, they're not on the Roku itself so they can't uninstall from there and of course they can't uninstall online. Which actually brings up something else, they said that some of the channels showed as incompatible when they tried to install, but obviously others didn't and showed as installed even though they weren't.

I can admit this is a problem. Hope someone can think of a solution. I can say that from my situation I did learn having 2 Rokus meant having 2 sets of channels online.  I have the original Roku also, from 2008 and had a few channels on it (Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, etc).  In 2014 I bought a Roku 3500 stick and installed it.  When I went to the channel store, I found it had lots of channels I could install so I added a bunch of them until at one point Roku said I did not have enough memory to add more. I decided I better get rid of a few, just to make sure. That's when I found out that the Roku store had a different page for the original Roku box vs the new Roku 3500 stick.  And to make it more confusing the older Roku showed some channels I had added to the stick and said they were installed, but I  could not access them. What worked was using the new 3500 stick to access the channel store and using its remote with the star (asterisk) button and removed excess channels so that my old Roku now only shows me the few actually installed and will work from the box, and my Roku stick will show me what I installed on the stick and will work from the stick.  The only problem I did run into was the 3500 stick had a problem actually accessing Netflix.  I gave up and use my 2008 Roku box exclusively.  I, too, saw channels as installed that were listed and I did use the stick remote to access the channels on the stick and deleted them using the star button. If it sounds confusing I believe it still is.  I did not have to access Netflix to delete channels but I did use the stick menu to show channels and the stick remote to delete them.  If you can find something here to help....that would be great.

Ahh thanks, i just emailed my folks and told them to try putting their newer Roku onto the account they made for the old one and just uninstall them from the new Roku and then move the new Roku back to it's original account. If it works i'll tell them they have microlady to thank.

WHen you go to the channel store itself, you do have one account and you add the new Roku stick to the channel store account. That way the store has both devices as listed for Roku.
When I use old Roku box, I only see the channels I put there.  When I go to another TV that has the stick installed, that Roku stick shows me the channels the store shows I installed and that is why I was able to delete some.  Yes, I believe ADDING the newer Roku onto the account will work as to uninstall channels from the new Roku. I do not know about moving the new to its original account as I only have one channel store account and my 2 devices are part of that account.  I seem to see the channels the Roku channel store has listed for the box or stick I am accessing the Channel store with. I agree with adding the newer Roku to their Roku channel store account and leaving both Rokus on the account. Roku apparently shows you what it has for channels depending on which Roku device you use at the time to access the channel store.  I saw on my older Roku some channels listed as installed but could not be accessed because they were actually installed on the channels store using the newer stick device, however, when using the old one if I saw a channel it says is installed and I did not install it on the older  box, I believe that simply using the stick remote with the star that the Roku channel store allowed me to delete channels that I knew were not installed on the older Roku.
I believe your instructions to your folks will do the trick.  The last sentence I am not sure of as the channel store will use the same account for both devices as far as login. Somehow although the channel store account is only one account with 2 devices listed....I believe the software for the account internally shows the channels associated with the device's MAC Number determines the channel list one sees.  They have 2 Rokus with each having its own individual MAC number which is entered at the store to register that device with the store. The login is based on the email address and password, the the store can contact the device being used and display its channel selections. Let us know what happens.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Re: Removing channels online

They said it worked Smiley Happy but that the old and new Roku have to be kept on separate accounts because the old one can't hold all the channels the new one can, so every time they accessed the channel store on the old one it would try to install all the channels and bog down to a crawl, works fine on it's own account though.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

Re: Removing channels online

"ghb51" wrote:
They said it worked Smiley Happy but that the old and new Roku have to be kept on separate accounts because the old one can't hold all the channels the new one can, so every time they accessed the channel store on the old one it would try to install all the channels and bog down to a crawl, works fine on it's own account though.

Love to hear a happy ending.  Your folks will really enjoy their Roku devices. Maybe I should try to create a new account for my 3500 stick instead of one account number registering the two devices I have.  I can see where separate account numbers would make it easier to only install channels that model Roku could handle.  I just didn't know I could have 2 separate accounts with the channel store.  Thank your folks from me as to the new idea.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Re: Removing channels online

"microlady" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:
They said it worked Smiley Happy but that the old and new Roku have to be kept on separate accounts because the old one can't hold all the channels the new one can, so every time they accessed the channel store on the old one it would try to install all the channels and bog down to a crawl, works fine on it's own account though.

Love to hear a happy ending.  Your folks will really enjoy their Roku devices. Maybe I should try to create a new account for my 3500 stick instead of one account number registering the two devices I have.  I can see where separate account numbers would make it easier to only install channels that model Roku could handle.  I just didn't know I could have 2 separate accounts with the channel store.  Thank your folks from me as to the new idea.

I told them they had microlady to thank and sent them a link to this thread so they've probably already seen it, but i'll tell them just in case. They said all they had to do was unlink their newer Roku from it's account, link it to the account they made for the older Roku and once they were done uninstalling the channels just unlink it again and link it back on the original account. If you're not sure where to do that, you just go to roku.com, click on My Account and scroll to the bottom of the page, you should see your linked Rokus there.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

Re: Removing channels online

Now....I have a questions for your folks.  Since I read your posts about keeping the 2 Rokus on separate accounts, I believe I can dust off my 3500 stick and use it again if I can put it on its own account.  Now and originally, I just added the new stick to the Roku account and as we both saw...doing this created confusion about adding channels, etc.  Since your folks found that when one has 2 different Rokus, each should have their own account.  (I had assumed Roku could figure it out as I registered the 2 different MAC addresses. But when adding channels, etc., I found out that actually Roku did get confused. 

I like what I read where your folks said they found that each Roku device should have its own account at the channel store.  So now my question is this:  When they set up the 2 separate accounts at the Roku channel store, did they use the same email address and password for each account?  Did  the channel store allow that as part of keeping the devices separate?  I know your folks did set up the accounts...first the old one....then later at a different time the new one....which I wonder if they set up the new one with the same email and password to access both?

Mine is a little different as I originally in 2008 set up my old Roku and therefore in 2014 just added the 3500 stick MAC address to the original account which also had the 2008 box on it.

Now, if it is better that each have its own account (and I understand why), to access the channel store do they have the same email and password on each of the two different accounts and the channel store accepts the same email and password even though the MAC address is different?

I do not want to confuse the channel store if I delete the stick from my old account setup and want to give the stick its own account number......it will ask for an email address and password for the new account.  I do not want to mess up my channel store by it replying the stick already has an account.  I would delete the new stick MAC address and it is okay to lose those channels as I can add them to the hopefully new account I will create..  I think both Rokus will work better being on separate accounts.

Maybe by adding the stick to my old account which has Netflix may be why that was the only channel my stick could not connect to.  It would  connect to YouTube and others, such as Amazon but gave me an error if I tried to access Netflix using the stick.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Re: Removing channels online

"microlady" wrote:
Now....I have a questions for your folks.  Since I read your posts about keeping the 2 Rokus on separate accounts, I believe I can dust off my 3500 stick and use it again if I can put it on its own account.  Now and originally, I just added the new stick to the Roku account and as we both saw...doing this created confusion about adding channels, etc.  Since your folks found that when one has 2 different Rokus, each should have their own account.  (I had assumed Roku could figure it out as I registered the 2 different MAC addresses. But when adding channels, etc., I found out that actually Roku did get confused. 

I like what I read where your folks said they found that each Roku device should have its own account at the channel store.  So now my question is this:  When they set up the 2 separate accounts at the Roku channel store, did they use the same email address and password for each account?  Did  the channel store allow that as part of keeping the devices separate?  I know your folks did set up the accounts...first the old one....then later at a different time the new one....which I wonder if they set up the new one with the same email and password to access both?

Mine is a little different as I originally in 2008 set up my old Roku and therefore in 2014 just added the 3500 stick MAC address to the original account which also had the 2008 box on it.

Now, if it is better that each have its own account (and I understand why), to access the channel store do they have the same email and password on each of the two different accounts and the channel store accepts the same email and password even though the MAC address is different?

I do not want to confuse the channel store if I delete the stick from my old account setup and want to give the stick its own account number......it will ask for an email address and password for the new account.  I do not want to mess up my channel store by it replying the stick already has an account.  I would delete the new stick MAC address and it is okay to lose those channels as I can add them to the hopefully new account I will create..  I think both Rokus will work better being on separate accounts.

Maybe by adding the stick to my old account which has Netflix may be why that was the only channel my stick could not connect to.  It would  connect to YouTube and others, such as Amazon but gave me an error if I tried to access Netflix using the stick.

I just wrote and asked about the emails etc on the accounts, but they're usually out and about on the weekends and not very good about checking their email, so i probably won't hear from them until monday. I know they didn't say anything about a mac address last time i heard from though, and i just checked my account and it only has the serial numbers of my Rokus, no mac address from what i can tell, so i don't know why it's asking you to enter a mac address.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

Re: Removing channels online

Sorry about that...been a long time since I registered with the channel store.  I see by my papers that it is the Serial Number registered with the Roku account  (the MAC address is needed for my router to allow the connection).  So I meant I have one Roku account that has both serial numbers so there are two devices.  I would like to do what your folk did....unlink the new Roku from the one account and create a new account for the new device so I can add and delete channels without confusion on the part of the Roku devices.  So if I unlink one device and then want to create a separate account for it, would I be setting this different account up with a different email address and/or password so the Roku store does not tell me that email and password is in use or did your folks set the 2nd account up with a different email address and password so the two accounts have different sign-on information or did the Roku allow the same sign-on information to be used for either device? 

I originally had so much trouble adding, deleting channels so each device eventually had its own and worked properly, I don't want to confuse the channel store or Roku.com. I believe my original Roku still has some channels that are "installed" but really are not.  I do know as it is now, the new Roku stick never connected with Netflix  but did handle other channels okay.  Both are registered with Nelflix...maybe since already registered...the new stick did not know how to actually connect with Netflix.  I stopped trying to figure it out at that point  but now I really would like each to have their own account, like your folks did,  The more I type, the more confused I get but..............

If you ask your folks if each account has identical email addresses and passwords that would help. Or, when each account was set up, the requirement was a new email address and/or password for each account. I could follow that..  Any information would be helpful. Thanks. no rush.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Re: Removing channels online

"microlady" wrote:
Sorry about that...been a long time since I registered with the channel store.  I see by my papers that it is the Serial Number registered with the Roku account  (the MAC address is needed for my router to allow the connection).  So I meant I have one Roku account that has both serial numbers so there are two devices.  I would like to do what your folk did....unlink the new Roku from the one account and create a new account for the new device so I can add and delete channels without confusion on the part of the Roku devices.  So if I unlink one device and then want to create a separate account for it, would I be setting this different account up with a different email address and/or password so the Roku store does not tell me that email and password is in use or did your folks set the 2nd account up with a different email address and password so the two accounts have different sign-on information or did the Roku allow the same sign-on information to be used for either device? 

I originally had so much trouble adding, deleting channels so each device eventually had its own and worked properly, I don't want to confuse the channel store or Roku.com. I believe my original Roku still has some channels that are "installed" but really are not.  I do know as it is now, the new Roku stick never connected with Netflix  but did handle other channels okay.  Both are registered with Nelflix...maybe since already registered...the new stick did not know how to actually connect with Netflix.  I stopped trying to figure it out at that point  but now I really would like each to have their own account, like your folks did,  The more I type, the more confused I get but..............

If you ask your folks if each account has identical email addresses and passwords that would help. Or, when each account was set up, the requirement was a new email address and/or password for each account. I could follow that..  Any information would be helpful. Thanks. no rush.

I heard back from them and they say that the emails on the two accounts are different and the passwords and credit card info are the same. But, they also said they had to factory reset the new Roku to be able to re-link it, i had been under the impression that all they had to do was un-link it from one account and then get a new activation code from the Roku without re-setting and then link it to the new account, but no, they had to do a factory reset and go through the set-up guide to be able to link it which means you have to re-install and sign back into all your channels, kind of a hassle. I googled around, but i couldn't find any way to re-link without re-setting, so i guess that's the only way.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

Re: Removing channels online

Thank you for the information, Hearing the 2 accounts have different email address make sense to me, The password and cc are no problem. I see how Roku is able to keep the 2 accounts separate using the sign in different email addresses. I will see what I can do. It is good to know your folks are able to maintain 2 accounts without each one overwhelming each other. The login therefore is different. I will not jump into all of it at once but will study the situation and go slowly and see exactly how it all winds up. Sounds like they did first unlink one Roku from the account so that account probably stayed okay without problems. Thanks again for the further information. It really is a big help. Knowing what worked for your folks tells me it is possible for me to separate my two Roku and can uninstall channels, etc. so each only deals with channels they are capable of using. Whenever I do get it done, I will post back and let you know.. Whatever information your folks come up with .....is really extremely helpful.

Thank them for me and I am so glad you were able to get this further information. Thank you also,.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos