Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
europe123
Level 9

Removing channels online

I know this issue has been brought up many times before and yes, we all know it's impossible to remove unwanted channels online or from the roku website. My question is: why is Roku so backwards with this? If it's possible to add channels online why not remove? It really is a big hassle if you have dozens of channels you'd like to remove. Please help me to understand the logic behind that.

Labels (1)
25 Replies
andyross
Level 11

Re: Removing channels online

Maybe partially for security. If somebody broke in and removed channels, you may forget what channels you had, and then they lose money. Having them add channel may be annoying, but you could then remove them on the device.
0 Kudos
europe123
Level 9

"andyross" wrote:
Maybe partially for security. If somebody broke in and removed channels, you may forget what channels you had, and then they lose money.

Seriously? Is that what you really think it is? Whoever would bother breaking in just to remove channels, I mean, come on. Even if that was the case, it's not like I wouldn't be able to add them back in a flash. I still don't get why Roku is so backwards with this. They could ask for a special security code if you wanted to remove channels online.
Emissary35
Level 9

I agree it's ridiculous you can't remove channels online, Roku needs to change this, the security excuse isn't very acceptable in my opinion, if your account is compromised I think deleting channels is the least of your concerns if people can make purchases from your account.  It's the same thing with buying Rokus that come with remotes with channel specific buttons that you may not use instead of just making programmable preset buttons so you can set your most used channels for those buttons.  It's Roku caring less about the user and more about making money on advertising, I wouldn't be surprised if that is why they make it difficult to remove channels from the website too.
microlady
Level 7

I don't understand this problem. I once had added too many channels and did not have enough memory in my Roku box so I had to delete some to get Roku to work. I followed the below instructions which I got from Google by asking How to remove channels from my Roku box. This did work perfectly.....I did have to use the newer Roku remote with the asterisk button on it as my old Roku box remote did not have that feature.

"Go to the Home Screen, select a channel you want to remove and press the * button on your remote. then. Select "Remove channel" and press "OK" on your remote to remove that channel from your Roku. Repeat this procedure for any additional channels you'd like to remove."

Hope this helps.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

They are referring to the fact that you can add a channel on the my.roku.com web page, but you can't remove a channel from there. Sometimes it's just easier to do something sitting at the computer with a mouse, instead of a limited remote function. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
jeffrok
Level 12

"microlady" wrote:
I don't understand this problem. I once had added too many channels and did not have enough memory in my Roku box so I had to delete some to get Roku to work. I followed the below instructions which I got from Google by asking How to remove channels from my Roku box. This did work perfectly.....I did have to use the newer Roku remote with the asterisk button on it as my old Roku box remote did not have that feature.

"Go to the Home Screen, select a channel you want to remove and press the * button on your remote. then. Select "Remove channel" and press "OK" on your remote to remove that channel from your Roku. Repeat this procedure for any additional channels you'd like to remove."

Hope this helps.

The OP was asking why you can add a channel from the website, but not delete it. I wonder the same thing.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
ghb51
Level 9

It would be nice to be able to remove channels online, my folks just ran into this problem when they set up an account for my 1st gen Roku that i gave them, they added some channels online but some didn't install because they weren't compatible with the older Roku, so there's no way to remove them from their account, they're not on the Roku itself so they can't uninstall from there and of course they can't uninstall online. Which actually brings up something else, they said that some of the channels showed as incompatible when they tried to install, but obviously others didn't and showed as installed even though they weren't.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

"ghb51" wrote:
It would be nice to be able to remove channels online, my folks just ran into this problem when they set up an account for my 1st gen Roku that i gave them, they added some channels online but some didn't install because they weren't compatible with the older Roku, so there's no way to remove them from their account, they're not on the Roku itself so they can't uninstall from there and of course they can't uninstall online. Which actually brings up something else, they said that some of the channels showed as incompatible when they tried to install, but obviously others didn't and showed as installed even though they weren't.

I can admit this is a problem. Hope someone can think of a solution. I can say that from my situation I did learn having 2 Rokus meant having 2 sets of channels online.  I have the original Roku also, from 2008 and had a few channels on it (Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, etc).  In 2014 I bought a Roku 3500 stick and installed it.  When I went to the channel store, I found it had lots of channels I could install so I added a bunch of them until at one point Roku said I did not have enough memory to add more. I decided I better get rid of a few, just to make sure. That's when I found out that the Roku store had a different page for the original Roku box vs the new Roku 3500 stick.  And to make it more confusing the older Roku showed some channels I had added to the stick and said they were installed, but I  could not access them. What worked was using the new 3500 stick to access the channel store and using its remote with the star (asterisk) button and removed excess channels so that my old Roku now only shows me the few actually installed and will work from the box, and my Roku stick will show me what I installed on the stick and will work from the stick.  The only problem I did run into was the 3500 stick had a problem actually accessing Netflix.  I gave up and use my 2008 Roku box exclusively.  I, too, saw channels as installed that were listed and I did use the stick remote to access the channels on the stick and deleted them using the star button. If it sounds confusing I believe it still is.  I did not have to access Netflix to delete channels but I did use the stick menu to show channels and the stick remote to delete them.  If you can find something here to help....that would be great.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

P.S.  I do believe I went to the channel store on the old Roku box and was able to remove channels using the Roku remote that had the * key.
0 Kudos