Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inquiringMind
Level 7

ROKU account database altered/deleted my Ccard autopay info and June payment failed

Jump to solution

I had set up an online ROKU account and manage it there. My automatic billing was working for months and May '20 was drafted with no issues.  There has been no change in my credit card information whatsoever but the payment as submitted for June '20 was reported to have not been accepted by my bank via a ROKU email.  I opened a new window and logged on to my ROKU account to review the credit card information and noticed that the 3-digit security code was missing. The credit card number was in the format xxxxx9999 (X's and the last 4 digits of the card displayed).  When I added the 3-digit code and hit enter, the error message displayed was complaining about the credit card number being invalid (it's been working for months).  I wiped the cc field and re-entered the card number and it appears to have saved it this time.  ROKU developers need to look into WHY my 3-digit code and perhaps part of my credit card number were removed from your database.  If it happened to me, it may be happening to many people. Please advise since it points to either an internal software bug or outside hackers, etc.  I want to feel my credit card information is safe on your servers!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: ROKU account database altered/deleted my Ccard autopay info and June payment failed

Jump to solution

@inquiringMind 

Thanks for the information.

For account and billing related issues, please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: ROKU account database altered/deleted my Ccard autopay info and June payment failed

Jump to solution

it is safe its all encrypted thats what the X's indicate.

make sure you are using HTTPS in your browser.

If you go into your account and blindly manipulate settings youre asking for trouble.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
inquiringMind
Level 7

Jump to solution

Are you a ROKU developer?  If so, I may to more clearly describe the issue.

0 Kudos
inquiringMind
Level 7

Jump to solution

I do know that the X's are encryption.

When I navigate to the credit card section of my account, I do get the https....

I am not sure what you mean about blindly editing info?  I had added a new credit card to my account 3-4 months ago and payments were being auto-drafted with no issues thru May 2020.  When I received the info that my bank denied the autopayment for June, I opened a new window and logged onto my banking info and sure enough, May was drafted and June was not.  I then opened another new window and logged onto my ROKU account and navigated to the credit card info and noticed the 3-digit code was missing (NULL, no numeric or encrypted chars were in the field). I added it, and hit save but then the system complained about needing credit card number.  I had to delete what was in that field (format:  xxxx4444) and re-enter the card number and only then did it save to the ROKU system.  This means that it was not me that was in that part of the system since originally adding the new card info and for months the payments were being autodrafted with no issue.  The card number is new and will not expire for 3 years. This means that some internal ROKU database issue has occurred and the 3-digit code and part of the credit card number were corrupted or deleted, etc.  This is an internal ROKU database problem and the developers should look into it.  I can't be the only customer this has happened to!  Very worrisome.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

The thing with credit cards is its all documented and eventually it'll be worked out.

This situation thing has the entire Bay area pretty much locked down and nothing is up to

speed. You dont want a Developer. Developers are programmers and wouldnt handle

this in any way. I can refer you to @RokuDanny-R Who will come along or you can PM

him by clicking on his name.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
inquiringMind
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for responding!  I would appreciate being forwarded to anyone who can shed light on the issue.  I did work in software testing 'back in the day' and it appears to be that someone (development staff?) threw some bad code at the database and it caused problems.  I'm sure that I cannot be the only one who had this issue and possibly development team already knows about it, but for sure someone at that level needs to look into it because either the DB has issues, or a piece of code that interfaces with the database has an issue, or potentially, the code that pulls data for the auto-payments interfaced in a bad way with the DB. Someone slapped a fix or upgrade and it caused issues which again, are very worrisome since I have entrusted ROKU with my credit card information. Thanks for any additional assistance!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@inquiringMind 

Thanks for the information.

For account and billing related issues, please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos