Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tialoc
Level 7

No reason to continue to buy Roku

I've been a Roku customer since your first device was released. I've been buying and upgrading these devices ever since. I now realize there is no reason to continue to do so. You see, I am also a Spectrum customer and I have recently been made aware that the Spectrum app is no longer available on the Roku device. If I upgrade to a new device I will not be able to load the app due to your disagreement. This was a perfect solution for me when we were allowed as I was able to avoid paying for a spectrum device to watch cable. Well you solved that because now I can switch to Amazon, Apple, Playstation or just use the apps in my smart TV. Since I won't be able to watch spectrum on my Roku device I see no reason to upgrade (Pay) for newer devices so congratulations Roku on losing my continued support.

Edited** - Thanks Roku for removing my later replies to this post That's let me know you do not value your customer's input

8 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Re: No reason to continue to buy Roku

So you're going to watch Spectrum on Fire TV are you?

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Level 10

@DBDukes wrote:

Spectrum app is still available on Apple TV, Samsung smart TVs, Android, and a few other devices.  I have four Roku TVs and am very annoyed that the Spectrum app was pulled from Roku devices.   As a Spectrum customer I had hoped to not have to rent a separate Spectrum device.  I decided to buy an Apple TV 4K instead.

But after this and my recent experiences with Roku TVs, I'm done with anything involving Roku.  My next TV or streaming device or whatever will not have anything to do with Roku.

DBDukes
Level 16

@GuitarMan wrote:

@DBDukes wrote:

Spectrum app is still available on Apple TV, Samsung smart TVs, Android, and a few other devices.  I have four Roku TVs and am very annoyed that the Spectrum app was pulled from Roku devices.   As a Spectrum customer I had hoped to not have to rent a separate Spectrum device.  I decided to buy an Apple TV 4K instead.

But after this and my recent experiences with Roku TVs, I'm done with anything involving Roku.  My next TV or streaming device or whatever will not have anything to do with Roku.

What you're doing is a reasonable alternative. You've found a quality device that supports the apps you're after. What I was pointing out was the knee-jerk reaction of OP who was going to leave a device because it didn't have an app, and switch to a different device that didn't have the app. Not what you did.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

First, there's a caveat about Spectrum on Android. It isn't on ALL Android devices. It is not available on Fire TV or the Nvidia Shield. Reports say side loading doesn't work, either. It is supported on Kindle tablets, Android phones and tablets.

Now, if you currently have Spectrum on your Roku devices, adding a new device on the same user account will still install the Spectrum channel. It is still available and being updated. It is only unavailable for users that did not have it installed prior to the contract expiration date in January. So, if you have it on your Roku now, you can add it to a new Roku as well. If it was accidentally removed, Spectrum can verify you used it prior to the January date and provide you with a private channel code to add the channel back in. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

I can understand your being upset about the Spectrum app.   This is a business negotiation and NEITHER party seems willing to give an inch.  Spectrum reportedly is unwilling to accept the same conditions that Roku has with many other entities.  I can understand you being upset with Roku but you should be equally upset with Spectrum.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Level 10

@makaiguy wrote:

I can understand your being upset about the Spectrum app.   This is a business negotiation and NEITHER party seems willing to give an inch.  Spectrum reportedly is unwilling to accept the same conditions that Roku has with many other entities.  I can understand you being upset with Roku but you should be equally upset with Spectrum.

Where I live Spectrum has a monopoly.  Roku does not.  Roku also has other issues such as defective software.  I'm forced to live with Spectrum.  There are a million choices other than Roku. 

0 Kudos
Hrray01
Level 1

I have the same issue as you, and am LIVID about the sudden drop of Spectrum TV!! Also, the info about the Spectrum app still working if used prior to the contract ending...is NOT accurate. I have had the spectrum app on my Roku since September 2020. This morning I turned on my TV and the spectrum app is now not supported on my Roku device. WTF?!

0 Kudos
Hrray01
Level 1

In addition to them dropping the spectrum app, now they’ve also dropped the Google Live TV option!    I am extremely angry at Roku. Their reason is, they did it for “their users benefit”??

ROKU should let their “users” decide for themselves! 😡😡

0 Kudos