Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TLT12

My tv has been hijacked and locked up in guest mode

So my TCL tv had been taken over. I received an email and text saying my subscription had expired and I needed to contact this person.

I knew I didn't have to, but when i got home my tv was locked in guest mode. I tried to sign out of it but it wants my 4 digit pin. I used it said it was invalid went to Roku changed it still invalid,  Changed sign out date for guest mode when time came tv signed out and when it restarted went back into guest mode. Disconnected from wifi and restarted router. Still in guest mode. What to do next?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: My tv has been hijacked and locked up in guest mode

If you go to Settings -> System -> About, does the email address there match the account you logged into at roku.com?

0 Kudos
Sibyld1
Channel Surfer

I'm experiencing the same thing. I tried to do a reset using the reset button at the back of my Roku TV, it just brings me back to the Guest Mode screen each and every time. It's so frustrating and I'm so pissed about it.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sibyld1,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I understand that you are unable to access your Roku device because it will just stay in "Guest Mode" even you perform a reset, is that correct?

Just to verify did you press and hold the Reset button firmly for about 10 seconds and the indicator light or status LED blink rapidly on your Roku devices to indicate that the factory reset is complete?

For more information, see this additional resource:

How to factory reset your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support 

How to turn Guest Mode on and off on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sibyld1
Channel Surfer

Hi @zroku , thanks for following up and sorry I didn't respond to this thread. I called TCL and after a few hard resets the TV got stuck into some Recovery Mode. Luckily my warranty was still good so they had it repaired for me.

0 Kudos
Sibyld1
Channel Surfer

Replying to the main thread, I found a SCAM WEBSITE that was offering to help "EXIT" the Roku Guest Mode but for a FEE.

Link: https://rokuguest.info/

This is a scam because Roku does not charge any activation, and certainly not to go out of a Guest Mode.
@RokuMary-Fhoping you can look into this.

I've done my part reporting this. I think I also reported a similar website in the past, but for some reason my main account @Sibyld was inaccessible so I made a new one.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Should certainly file a complaint with GoDaddy regarding this site (rokuguest.info) by submitting an email to their abuse department (abuse@godaddy.com).

The site will just relocate, but it will at least inconvenience them a bit and have to pony up a few dollars to host again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

vjamado

I am experiencing this same "guest  mode" lock.  WHAT DO DI DO?  RESET yes not do it?

GOING NUTS..SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE!!!

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If you login at roku.com, and go to my account, you should see a list of Roku devices that you own and in the right columns of that list, you can click on “Disable Guest Mode” for the device currently in guest mode.

This assumes you are in control of your own Roku.  If you go to your Roku and go to Settings -> System -> About and the email address doesn’t match what you logged into roku with, then the above won’t work.  In that case, the next question would be: is the email address in your Roku one of yours?  Or someone else’s?

0 Kudos
KReilly

I've spent wayyy too many hours trying everything - including talking with techs for Roku at least 5 times and still locked in guest mode- I can't change date so wen times up I have to add all info to get signed into paid subscriptions- this is crazy there has to be something we can do! I was left a message on my phone saying I have to renew Roku subscription and pay min of 99 dollars for the yr

0 Kudos