Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leefreeland
Level 7

Move a device to another Roku Account

Jump to solution

I want to move a device from the existing Roku account to another one.  Is this possible without a factory reset?  I'm not sure how to get the link code to display on the TV.  

The TV will be the same.  Basically, a family member is giving me the ROKU which was originally set up in her name.  I want to move it to my account.  I don't have any devices setup and wanted to add this one.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Move a device to another Roku Account

Jump to solution

There's no way to just switch from one Roku account to another.  A factory reset is the way to redo the initial setup and link to a new Roku account.

IMPORTANT! When linking your device you may be directed to go to roku.com/link via a computer or mobile device. Type this in very carefully and verify that you actually do go there. Otherwise you can end up at a scammer's fake Roku site where they may request you to pay bogus charges and will collect your payment and Roku account information to use as they wish. If you end up at ANY site not on roku.com (other than the https://my.roku.com/link that you'll get redirected to), back out and try again.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

There's no way to just switch from one Roku account to another.  A factory reset is the way to redo the initial setup and link to a new Roku account.

IMPORTANT! When linking your device you may be directed to go to roku.com/link via a computer or mobile device. Type this in very carefully and verify that you actually do go there. Otherwise you can end up at a scammer's fake Roku site where they may request you to pay bogus charges and will collect your payment and Roku account information to use as they wish. If you end up at ANY site not on roku.com (other than the https://my.roku.com/link that you'll get redirected to), back out and try again.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

Jump to solution

Instead of a factory reset, the original owner can go online to:

https://my.roku.com/account

and unlink the device from the list at the bottom of the page. You can then set up your own account and link it.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

Except that the only way to link a device to an account is to factory reset it.  Unlinking it is easy.

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

Except that the only way to link a device to an account is to factory reset it.  Unlinking it is easy.

Seems odd. If a user unlinks it, then the Roku should come up and ask for a link with a new code. I don't think they would want to 'brick' it to users who aren't aware of how to factory reset it.

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

Jump to solution

But, to add: It's still a good idea to always unlink a Roku you no longer use, just in case.

renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

I agree to both statements and I think that's part of the problem with all the "can't get a link code" threads.  People try to link a device from my.roku.com and it asks for the code.  The only way to get a code is to factory reset a device.  It's a temporary thing that either gets used within a short amount of time or gets discarded and possibly reused sometime in the future for a different user.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

There's really no benefit from not doing the factory reset. Even if you could simply change the linked account, any non-matching channels between the two account will be altered. You might lose one or more channels, or get new ones added. Either way it will require manual setup for each channel that requires authentication. 

For security purposes, I think the factory reset is the smart thing to do. Unless the same user has control of both accounts, you might have credit card info linked that you don't want carried from one to the other. A factory reset ensures absolutely everything from the past user is wiped out. Since the account link will add all current channels assigned to that account, you merely have to complete any authentication again. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos