Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JaeH
Level 8

Model numbers don't coincide

Jump to solution

My roku streaming stick model number is clearly marked 3800X. My roku account says the model number for the same streaming stick is 3600RW. I purchased it a while back and just found out I am unable to access certain apps because the 3600RW model isn't compatible. I ordered the 3800X which is compatible. What is going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
JaeH
Level 8

Re: Model numbers don't coincide

Jump to solution

Thanks JT. You have been very kind. I will write to the contact you noted in your last post this week.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
renojim
Level 13

Jump to solution

What model does it say on the Settings>System>About screen?  The 3800 and 3600 are two different sticks.  Did you get it at Walmart (implied by the RW suffix)?  Maybe someone swapped sticks on you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JaeH
Level 8

Jump to solution

No sticker on the unit. The number is embedded on the roku stick itself. If I recall correctly, I did purchase this particular roku item at Walmart

0 Kudos
Highlighted
renojim
Level 13

Jump to solution

What model does it say on the Settings>System>About screen?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JaeH
Level 8

Jump to solution

3600RW is the model number in settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
renojim
Level 13

Jump to solution

Wow!  So it's like you got a 3600 in a 3800 case?  I'd search for my receipt and/or try to explain to Walmart that you got hosed.  :-)  Do you still have the packaging?  What does it say if you have it?

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JaeH
Level 8

Jump to solution

The unit itself (the roku streaming stick) has model 3800 imbedded in it. That's why I don't understand why the tv is picking up that it's a 3600 model. I'll have to check to see if I still have the original box. I also need to see if I have the original purchase receipt. I'm quite sure I charged the purchase so it would be on one of my credit cards. This is very discouraging.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
renojim
Level 13

Jump to solution

It is very strange.  I can think of 3 possibilities:

1. Someone bought that unit, swapped out the insides with their 3600, and then returned it and you then purchased it.
  2. It was somehow screwed up at the factory (I don't think the 3600 and 3800 were ever produced at the same time).
  3. The wrong firmware somehow got loaded onto it (I doubt the 3800 could run the 3600 firmware, but who knows).

All seem pretty unlikely.  You might want to wait until Monday and contact one of the Community Managers like RokuTannerD and see what they have to say.

Good luck!

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JaeH
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks JT. You have been very kind. I will write to the contact you noted in your last post this week.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@JaeH 

Thanks for the notes there. This is definitely something we would like to take a closer look into.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos