Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Keep getting billed for subscriptions I don’t have

My mother has two linked Roku devices, and, according to the email account we have for Roku, there are no subscriptions, when I log on. Yet, she has been getting billed for two $6.13 charges every month for a long time, apparently. And yet, the credit card that shows up on her account is expired, so I don’t know how it Roku is even charging anything, or what it is for. I cannot find an email to contact customer service. The drop down menus aren’t working, and we are both frustrated. I want her to tell AMEX to refuse the charges but she is afraid to do that because she doesn’t want to lose Roku! I looked on the tv screen and also didn’t see any information that would point me to any subscriptions. How do we find out what these charges are for? I am ready to switch her to a firestick, but I guess I wouldn’t know whether the charges would keep coming!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Keep getting billed for subscriptions I don’t have

Are you sure they're really coming from Roku?  There's a lot of scams out there.  If her account doesn't show any subscriptions then I doubt those charges are coming from Roku.  There is no charge to use a Roku, only for subscriptions to various channels like Netflix.  I would cancel that credit card immediately.  She won't lose anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The charge has been coming through for numerous months. If it were a scam, I think they would have ramped up to bigger charges. I think she mistakenly subscribed to something, but I don’t know what, since no services are showing up when I log in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

If I were running the scam I think I'd keep the charges small and normal looking in the hope they would stay under the radar. A big one would likely just get the credit card canceled.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks for your concern about a scam. However, what I really would like is for an actual Roku customer service person to reply with information about how this is happening.

Highlighted
Level 16

@Syberpat wrote:

However, what I really would like is for an actual Roku customer service person to reply with information about how this is happening.

I'm not a Roku rep, but we've seen SO MANY of these complaints about bogus Roku charges that I've given it a lot of thought as to how this can occur.  Here's what I've come up with:

When first setting up the Roku, after some initial setup, the on-screen instructions provide you with a code and tell you to use a computer or mobile device and "visit roku.com/link" to activate your Roku.  If you go directly there (it actually redirects to my.roku.com/link), you are prompted to enter the code you were given and things progress properly from there. But sometimes people don't go there directly and this is where the trouble begins.

If, instead of entering "roku.com/link" directly into your browser's address bar, you enter it into a search field, the search engine may bring up links to a bunch of different sites.  Or, if you deliberately do a search for something like "activate Roku" you'll get a similar list.  

When I did a Google search for "roku.com/link" just now, the first two entries were identified as Ads, both of which take you to bogus sites that tell you to call a toll-free phone number to activate your unit (Roku does not use toll-free phone numbers).  

The legitimate my.roku.com/link was only the 3rd entry in the Google search after the two ads.  

Following the legit Roku entry there are a bunch more, sending you to addresses at sites.google.com, or legit-looking addresses like device-roku.com, r-roku.com, myrokucomlink.org, etc.  I looked at about half a dozen of them and most prominently showed "roku.com/list" as text to try to make viewers think they are at the right place.  Any "Roku" site whose address does NOT contain the text string .roku.com (at the end or before the first /) is bogus.

Some of the links also take you to Youtube addresses.  Some give legitimate instructions, and Roku actually does have some legit videos there, but scammers do too.  Anything on one of these sites telling you to go to a website not on roku.com, or my.roku.com, or to call a toll-free number, in order to register or link your device is bogus.

Once you give any of these scammers your information you are giving them the info they need to take advantage of you, either right then or at a later date.  

Many of these sites will charge you for an up-front fee for setting up the account (something Roku does NOT charge for).  I suspect some (all?) of them may actually process a Roku authorization for you, so your Roku unit starts to work and you're none the wiser.  But they've now also got the keys to start entering charges claiming to be for channel subscriptions or movie viewings you never ordered or authorized.  Since Roku is not actually involved with any of these transactions, that's why, when you later complain to Roku, Roku has no idea what you are talking about and can't cancel the subscriptions (if they actually even exist) or refund your money.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 7

I feel where your coming from because yesterday I was just charged 16.04 for HBO and I dont even have HBO... then today they just charged me 7.48 for disney+ which was just paid for on the 27th of last month 

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Syberpat 

Thanks for the information.

If you have logged into your Roku account and are able to find any subscriptions in your account, its possible that you may have an active subscription through the channel provider directly. If this is the case you will need to contact the channel provider to manage that subscription.

For more information about managing your subscriptions through Roku, visit our Support page here: How do I manage or cancel a Roku-billed subscription?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@rpruitt 

Thanks for the note.

For account and billing related issues, please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I also have a charge that posted today for a subscription I do not have and have attempted to get in touch with anyone at Roku, inc. that can put a stop to this immediately with no luck. In the meanwhile, I have decided that my only recorded at the moment is to put a stop to ALL Roku subscriptions (even the ones I enjoyed) until this is addressed. This subscription showed up in my account with no option to cancel. This, by the way, is a monthly subscription that I didn't order, didn't authorize, and do not want. 

0 Kudos