Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meetrijas
Level 7

Is roku 4 region specific for apps

Hello ,

I want to buy Roku 4 . Main intention is you tube and stereo music.

If i buy Roku 4 from United States and ship to  Dubai will the Streaming Apps work . Mainly YouTube. ( Youtube / Netflix already works in UAE from my phone / PC / TV )

Is there any region specific issues  with Roku ( any Geo tagging ) . 

Note : I recently bought SONY UBP-X800 from US , The payer is connected to Internet , but  none of the apps were displayed. Sony informed me that I cant use the product .

Regards,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Is roku 4 region specific for apps

It depends on the app. Roku has various regions that correspond to where it’s officially sold and supported — US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Mexico, France, etc — plus a “Rest of the world” region. It’s up to the app owner determine where the app will appear in the Channel Store and how well it operates there.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Is roku 4 region specific for apps

To add to Basil's answer, all Roku players are region specific in some manner. While you can buy one in one region and use it elsewhere, you have no guarantee that it will work correctly in other places. In addition, don't forget that different parts of the world have different AC power configuration and different TV display standards. A unit bought in North America might not work correctly on a European or Asian TV.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos