Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Woods1961
Channel Surfer

How to recover a device I accidentally unlinked from my Roku account?

Jump to solution

I mistakenly unlinked my Roku device from my Roku account. Can any of you give me a hint how I can recover my Roku device link to my account? Thank you in advance! Woods

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to recover a device I accidentally unlinked from my Roku account?

Jump to solution

Hi @bobbyd16471,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you accidentally unlink your Roku device to your account.

If you accidentally unlink your Roku device, you can simply link the device again to your account just like you did with the initial setup. You don't need to perform a factory reset.

Learn How to activate or link your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support for activation help.

Let us know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: I mistakenly unlinked my device in my Roku account. How can I recover it?

Jump to solution

Hi @Woods1961

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend relinking your Roku account to your Roku device by following the steps available in this Support article: How to activate or link your Roku® streaming device

I hope this helps! Let us know if you need further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Woods1961
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Kariza:

Thank you for your quick response. Actually, I have read the instruction in your link but still have no idea to relink my device. My device is well linked to my home internet and I have logged in my Roku account. However, I don't receive any activation email from Roku, nor any activation link. The Roku mobile app seems not linked to my device now as well. I hope that I can avoid to use factory reset and can still keep my collections of channels. By the way, My Linked Devices in my account can easily cause misclick and I would suggest that Roku can modify this to prevent any misclicking.

Woods

Woods1961
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Another weird thing is that there is no "Link a device button" in my account page but I did see that there is one in other people's video posted on youtube 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I would just do a factory reset.

Woods1961
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you. With this operation (factory reset), can I still keep my collections of channels? If I can, then how?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Woods1961 

When you tie a Roku device to an account, all the active apps on that account are downloaded to the device. You'll have to log back in to the apps, unless they support Roku's Single Sign On protocol. Some do, and some don't. If it signs in automatically, it supports Roku SSO. If it makes you sign in, it doesn't, and you have to sign in.

You're overthinking it. Just link the device to the account, like you did when you got the device, and all the apps are there and available.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Tbae

Jump to solution

I'm have the same issue, why can't you see a History of linked accounts and just add it back🤷🏽. All this technology and things are still difficult 😢

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Tbae wrote:

I'm have the same issue, why can't you see a History of linked accounts and just add it back🤷🏽. All this technology and things are still difficult 😢

Because if you sell your Roku device to someone else, and you could still add back your previous devices with a link, this could cause havoc.

I've never found it difficult to link a Roku to my account. Was it difficult when you first got your device? It's the same process.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

stljohnd

Jump to solution

The subject was: "I mistakenly unlinked my device in my Roku account. How can I recover it?"

To all the experts, on the website, to experience the problem before providing solutions, go to your account, scroll down to "My linked devices", unlink a Roku device, then try to add that device back in WITHOUT doing a factory reset. 

I would like to know. 

My issue started when the Roku app gave me an error "Account does not match", when trying to view a free program via the Android Roku app.  The email matched, but the app kept stating the account was not a match.  I reset my password, and it did not change anything.  I decided to try to unlink the device to see if that would help and NO JOY.  All my channel selections are gone from the Roku device.  There does not seem to be any way to add an account back to the Roku device, other than Factory Reset. What an oversight by the developers... both on the Roku device and the android Roku app.