Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobilekathy
Level 9

How I finally got part of my data breach issue resolved.

After I informed Roku about its data breach, it took 2.5 hours on the phone with customer "service" (oxymoron), five customer service reps, two emails to 20 people on their management, communications and investor relations teams, and several posts on this forum, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. That was to get them to remove my personal and financial information from their system and refund me for cancelled subscriptions.

Customer. Service. I don't think so.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How I finally got part ot my data breach issue resolved.

Still not seeing a news report about a data breach involving Roku. Do you use that credit card anywhere else? Ever? You might want to look there, too.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Mobilekathy
Level 9

I haven't seen any news reports either but we both know that companies like this wait months before revealing they've been compromised even though customers have known it from the start. 

I have one account dedicated to my tech/streaming services. I am confident that Hulu's heads up allowed me to catch Roku's negligence.

It could be that when Hulu was compromised, then Roku customers were affected. Either way, Hulu fessed up even though I was not their customer.

Roku did not and I was a customer.  Therein lies the difference.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Mobilekathy wrote:

I haven't seen any news reports either but we both know that companies like this wait months before revealing they've been compromised even though customers have known it from the start. 

I have one account dedicated to my tech/streaming services. I am confident that Hulu's heads up allowed me to catch Roku's negligence.

It could be that when Hulu was compromised, then Roku customers were affected. Either way, Hulu fessed up even though I was not their customer.

Roku did not and I was a customer.  Therein lies the difference.

I'm really curious about your Hulu report. I'd like more info about it, if you don't mind. Can I PM you about it?

For full disclosure, I'm not affiliated with either Roku nor Hulu, but am customers of each. And consider myself fans of each.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 16

I'm having trouble following this.  For example: if Hulu was breached, I don’t know why Roku would know about that. If Hulu was breached and you weren't their customer, then how would you be involved in their breach and how would they contact you? (BTW are you sure it was really Hulu that contacted you?) If it was Hulu's breach then where does the phrase "Roku's negligence" apply?

And if it was Roku that was breached, and you're not Hulu's customer, then how does Hulu know about Roku's breach and again, how do they know how to contact you? (Which again makes me wonder if the Hulu contact was really Hulu.)

0 Kudos
Mobilekathy
Level 9

Roku knew because Roku allowed Hulu and that scammer to charge my credit card for the subscription. Roku even acknowledged that because they saw the charge on their system and my credit card statement.  They allowed the charge to go thru even though I don't have and never had a Hulu subscription.

Hulu notified me of the breach, sending me and email saying someone named "Andy" from Moscow accessed my account. And they provided an IP address, which was an address that indeed originated in Russia.  When I checked my credit card statment, a charge via Roku had been made. 

Roku didn't say a d@mn thing. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 16

Sorry, but I'm still confused.  Hulu said someone named Andy accessed your account but you don’t have a Hulu account? Or what account was Hulu telling you that Andy accessed?  And I wouldn't expect Roku Inc. to have any idea whether you have an account at Hulu Inc.  I don't believe such data is routinely shared.

It sounds like some guy got your credit card number, and usually the way to fix that is to call the bank and get a new card issued.  Last time it happened to me, someone spent $6000 at several stores in the Middle East, but after I called the bank, that was all erased and I got a new card 2 days later.  Of course, those poor stores in the Middle East were out some money, but that's the risk vendors take when they make payments so convenient and easy.  Hopefully they make enough profit elsewhere to make up for it.

But like I said, I still don't understand the entire description – that's just as best as I can guess.

Mobilekathy
Level 9

ROKU PROCESSED THE PAYMENT TO THIS PERSON VIA THEIR SYSTEM, KNOWING FULL WELL I DIDN"T HAVE A HULU SUBSCRIPTION THROUGH ROKU....or at all.

HULU sent me an email saying this had happened and that I had an account that had been compromised THROUGH ROKU.

Bank charges confirmed Roku processed that payment. Roku confirmed they processed that payment.

That is what happened. If you don't understand that, then I can't explain it anymore than that for you to understand.

0 Kudos
Mobilekathy
Level 9

@DBDukes there isn't any more I can tell you beypnd what i have already said.

0 Kudos
amylsmith5488
Level 7

You got refunded didn’t you? Only asking because I have had multiple charges to my debit card from roku for subscriptions I do not have. The only subscription I have through them is Disney plus and I’m about to cancel it since clearly they don’t have the decency to warn their customers when their data has been breached!!

0 Kudos