Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vorg
Level 7

Getting real tired of having to update pin everytime

Nearly every time I try to add a channel from a web sit, it first take me to the roku page for the channel, but when I click add channel, instead it takes me to the settings page with a banner saying the pin needs to be updated. When I update the pin, it then logs me out and I have to then log back in. Then I have to click the original link to get back to the roku page for the channel and it adds teh channel like it's supposed to.  This has been going on for several months.

FIX your website.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Getting real tired of having to update pin everytime

First, the assumption is that you do want to require a PIN to add channels, not just PIN protect purchases. Your options are :

• Always require a PIN to make purchases and to add items from the Channel Store.

• Always require a PIN to make purchases.

• A PIN is not required to make any purchase or add any item from the Channel Store.

You seem to have selected the top item. If you only want to prevent purchases, the second item is the one to check. And, if you don't want a PIN, the third is the option. We're proceeding as if the first item is your intent. So...

You said "I try to add a channel from a web sit (sic), it first take me to the roku page for the channel" which would indicate you're adding an item from the Channel Store, or an item that is in the Channel Store. If you're adding a private channel, you won't get that, but rather a warning that it's a non-certified channel. Since you're getting the channel's page on Roku.com, it's an item from (or at least, in) the Channel Store.

When I browse the Channel Store (https://channelstore.roku.com) I do it logged in to the Roku Website. I don't get prompted to log in, and the process is very clean and no PIN reset.

When I add from a third-party Website, again, I'm usually logged in to my Roku account, but if not, am prompted to log in. No PIN reset.

That indicates that the problem isn't universal. Which means it's localized. So...

Try logging out of your Roku account on your browser. Then clear the cookies AND local storage for Roku. This is easier on Chrome and Firefox than some other browsers. Then, after clearing your all cookies and local storage for Roku.com, close your browser. You may even want to reboot your computer to ensure that a session of your browser isn't running in the background. If any browser session is still running, that could indicate your computer isn't freeing stuff up properly or otherwise not handling things correctly. Logging out, clearing cookies and local storage, and rebooting resolves this.

Then, log back in to Roku. Check your PIN settings. You may have to set your PIN one time (if the issue caused it to not record properly). You may want to set your PIN and PIN preferences again. You don't have to change your PIN; you can use the same one again.

See if that doesn't solve the problem.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Vorg
Level 7

It is the second option, not the top
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Vorg" wrote:
It is the second option, not the top

Then, you shouldn't be prompted for a PIN for simply adding a channel. Did you try the steps?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Vorg
Level 7

"Always require a PIN to make purchases". Adding a channel is NOT a purchase and in the past it was working fine. Now you have to update the pin at least once a day and it logs you out when you do. If you add a second channel within a few minutes it, works as it should.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

That doesn't answer the question. Perhaps someone else will come along that you'll cooperate with. I hope you are able to resolve your issue.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos