Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streams
Level 7

Exchanging a defective item

I am having an issue with the remote not working correctly on my new 2017 Roku Stick that I purchased from Amazon as soon as it came out (Oct 9th).

I made a thread hoping that it was an issue that could be taken care of via updates or something.  RokuShawnS[/url:1sbwz3l2]  posted in the thread saying he would ask about it and get back to me.  He...

0 Kudos
20 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Exchanging a defective item

No, contact Roku support.. the item return section is not what you want to select, because there's only a 30 day return policy and you said you've owned the stick for two months. You're now in the warranty claims time period.

I suggest you contact Roku support directly and open a ticket with them. Go through the troubleshooting steps they ask you to try, and once it's determined that those steps are ineffective, they will create an RMA for your Roku, and you will send back the old one in order to receive a replacement.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I was actually looking for your thread yesterday, but couldn't find it. The notification link loaded an error. Perhaps it was removed by mistake?
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
I was actually looking for your thread yesterday, but couldn't find it.  The notification link loaded an error.  Perhaps it was removed by mistake?

I can't say for sure, but it seems very odd that the thread got deleted in the midst of 2 PMs being sent to Shawn, him reading them*, but not responding.  I really don't know what is going on.
* FYI, you can tell when someone reads a PM you sent them because it moves from the "Outbox" to the "Sent messages" folder.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
No, contact Roku support.. the item return section is not what you want to select, because there's only a 30 day return policy and you said you've owned the stick for two months. You're now in the warranty claims time period.

I suggest you contact Roku support directly and open a ticket with them. Go through the troubleshooting steps they ask you to try, and once it's determined that those steps are ineffective, they will create an RMA for your Roku, and you will send back the old one in order to receive a replacement.

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow.  
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Streams, I only have a certain amount of time I can work over the weekend (sometimes not at all), so I can't always reply immediately.

I do not remember deleting your thread ... I don't do that except under extreme circumstances, or in cases of an accident (it's been known to happen Smiley Sad ), and I haven't had time in order to look through to find out which one it was.  It's on my TODO list for tomorrow.

Regarding the remote issue, I'm filing a bug on it Monday morning with all the information everyone has sent to me thus far.  I don't have any answers for you yet.  Feel free to contact CS if you wish for an exchange.  We'll investigate the issue regardless.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Shawn, I sent the PM on Wednesday and then the thread was deleted subsequent to that.  Then I sent the PM asking about it and didn't hear back, so I thought maybe there was an issue, like you thought I was a spammer or something.  I was kinda expecting to come on and find that I was banned  Smiley LOL

OK, back to the issue at hand.  My one concern is that a customer service rep is going to understand the intricacies of what is going on here.  I mean, if I tell them that putting my hand in front of the remote stops it from working, are they going to tell me to stop putting my hand in front of it, not knowing that it's supposed to be Wifi and not control the Roku thru IR?  THe other issue is that it randomly stops working (essentially freezing) even when pointed at the TV, but not all the time, and I am not sure if it's repeatable when on the phone.  I can certainly try, though.  
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

THis is why I was hoping that it could be fixed without exchanging it.  I wait 6 days for a response and that response told me to use an HDMI extender, right after explaining that the problem was with IR and the Wifi was excellent lol.
0 Kudos
m4paws
Level 7

Hi Streams, I am new here but came across your thread.  I know this probably won't fix your problem, but I once had a remote that started acting wonky and then when I put in new batteries, the remote started working properly again.  I'm sure you've already tried this, but if you haven't, wouldn't hurt.  Anyway, good luck with your exchange.  Hope it all goes well.

p.s.  you might also want to try cleaning where the IR transmitter is with a moist microfiber cloth.
Roku 2XS
Roku Ultra R4640
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

m4paws,  I appreciate you trying to help.

I did try removing the batteries, trying brand new ones, resetting the Roku completely, and many other things.  

I had the last year model Stick on the same TV and it worked perfectly.  I just put the new Stick+ in that exact same TV today (the $50 deal was too good to pass up) and it works perfectly.  No Wifi issues with either, and the new Stick+ remote works perfectly with both the Roku and TV.

So I think it's safe to say that I am having an issue with that particular Stick or it's remote.
0 Kudos