Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benni037
Level 7

Does Roku need to be region set?

Jump to solution

Hello

I have just acquired a Roku Express (model 3900EU) and have gone through the installation process.  I'm in the UK and unfortnuately all the channels/apps seem to be the US versions.  I cannot find in the "Search Channels" function any of the apps I would like to add - for example, BBC iPlayer or Now TV.

Amazon Prime video app is intalled by default but I cannot link my UK account to it (it tells me to link the Roku against the .com domain as opposed to .co.uk meaning none of my saved watchlists are available).

Do I need to set it to UK region and if so, how do I do this?

Many thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Does Roku need to be region set?

Jump to solution
There is no region to set. It's based on your Roku account when you register it. If you have US only channels then it was registered to a US based Roku account.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Thanks for the notes here. The situation posed by the original topic author related to an account regional misidentification, between 2 officially supported regions for Roku products. The US and the UK are both regions in which Roku directly sells products and services, and offers an official channel store for available channels/services in those respective regions, based on availability determined by each channel/service provider themselves. 

Other locations in which Roku does not officially sell products are not supported regions, and therefore do not offer the same options for adding channels/services (e.g. Israel). Some services, such as Netflix and YouTube, have been made available by these service providers in almost any location, and would be available on Roku in currently unsupported regions. Other channels may not have been made available by their respective service providers in these locations, and therefore will not be available to add. 

We're always looking at expanding our platform offering to additional regions, however, channel availability is ultimately determined by each service provider. Channels will only be available for regions in which the service provider has enabled access to their services on our platform. We'd recommend following up with any individual service provider that you are interested in to request additional information about their availability on Roku in your location, and share your interest. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
25 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution
There is no region to set. It's based on your Roku account when you register it. If you have US only channels then it was registered to a US based Roku account.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

0 Kudos
Benni037
Level 7

Jump to solution
Sorry if this is a silly question but how do I register a UK based Roku account? When the Roku goes through its initialisation process, it says to go to roku.com/link to enter the setup code. I try roku.co.uk but still goes to the .com version.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
Are you actually in the UK proper? That is, on the big island? Not Isle of Man, for example? And are you using a VPN? Are you using a UK ISP?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Benni037
Level 7

Jump to solution
Yes, I'm based in UK proper (east England) with UK ISP. No VPN.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Benni037
Level 7

Jump to solution
So I had another stab at setup...

I factory reset the box and closed my Roku account.  Did all the setup again but this time created the online account first before linking the box to it.  Still no joy.

I've also now tried searching through 'My Account' for the channels I want to download/install - weirdly last night, whilst I managed to find the channels (e.g. ITV Hub, All4, Now TV, BBC iPlayer etc), the "Add Channel" button was greyed out however, when I try and search again today, these channels are not found.

I've emailed Roku for their thoughts but having read a handful of reviews online (UK users), everyone has been saying how easy setup is and getting the UK channels no problem.  I'm now thinking if it's possible that the box is faulty?  Any ideas how I could check?

Thanks again
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Jump to solution
Do you have a case number?  I can look it up and escalate if needed.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Benni037
Level 7

Jump to solution
The case number I received was #1476005

Many thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Jump to solution
CS is looking into the issue.  I hope to have information for you later this afternoon/evening (US time).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Jump to solution
Sending a PM with instructions from CS
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison