Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JR-A
Level 7

Discovery & Discovery Plus ROKU billing BS

I’m a new ROKU user, with my account only active a few days, I received this scammy e-mail form ROKU about Discovery and Discovery Plus…here it is:

IF YOU DO NOT CANCEL YOUR DISCOVERY+ AD-SUPPORTED OR AD-FREE SUBSCRIPTION BEFORE THE 1-MONTH PROMOTIONAL PERIOD ENDS, YOU AUTHORIZE DISCOVERY+ (THROUGH ITS BILLING SERVICE PROVIDER, ROKU) TO CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD $4.99 OR $6.99 (DEPENDING ON SELECTED SUBSCRIPTION) EACH MONTH ON A RECURRING BASIS UNTIL YOU CANCEL YOUR DISCOVERY+ SUBSCRIPTION. TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AND AVOID BEING CHARGED, YOU MUST CANCEL BEFORE THE END OF THE PROMOTIONAL PERIOD.

First, I don’t recall opting into either on a trial basis. Second, there’s no apparent way to cancel either through my TV, or through the ROKU website before the 30 day billing starts?  Because, neither is showing on my account yet as a subscription, so there’s like no way to jump off this train without incurring a month of billing. Guessing they figure at worst they’ll get $4.99 people won’t try to recoup, or, they’ll get a few months billing on unsuspecting folks who missed this e-mail. I believe there are laws against ‘No Response’ automatic sign-ups. Total BS

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Discovery & Discovery Plus ROKU billing BS

Let's confirm a couple of things first.

Confirm that you went to https://my.roku.com/ and logged in using the email address to which the message was sent.

Next, from that page, you clicked the Manage your subscriptions link.

And, from the resulting page, there is no Discovery or Discovery+ subscription.

If you can confirm all of that, then perhaps it was not Roku that sent the message, but some scammer using Roku's name. Did the email contain links? You didn't click them did you?

Confirm you did the steps above and let's see where that leads.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JR-A
Level 7

Hi DB,

The sender e-mail address is ROKU@email1.roku..com, and is legit. The e-mail graphics template is identical to the format used on their other e-mails, complete with links to their social media, blog, website, and with their corporate address at the bottom. Plus, and most importantly, the e-mail is not asking me to do anything, or click to go anywhere else, it’s simply explaining what is going to happen with my billing as per some type of agreement Discovery has with ROKU.

0 Kudos
JR-A
Level 7

…and yes…everything else is confirmed, I’m not signed up for these subscriptions in my account…so there’s no way for me to Unsubscribe before they bill.

I had intended to call them yesterday morning, but I’m EST and their offices were not open, and I never got back to it yesterday.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@JR-A 

If you logged into your Roku account using the email address to which the email was sent, and if there is no subscription listed, then there is no subscription. If there's no subscription, there's nothing to bill.

If you still are worried, remove the payment method from your Roku account.

If you are concerned about accidental subscriptions, add a PIN to your Roku account.

Oh, and don't put stock in the stuff about how legit the email looks. All of that stuff can be spoofed easily. 

DBDukes

demsd
Level 13

You didn't say. Have you been charged for any subscription[s]?

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
JR-A
Level 7

Not yet, as I’ve only been with ROKU about 5 days, and their e-mail said the Discovery Plus trial period was 30 days, so I’m trying to avoid the automatic billing that is suppose to start after 30 days.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@JR-A wrote:

Not yet, as I’ve only been with ROKU about 5 days, and their e-mail said the Discovery Plus trial period was 30 days, so I’m trying to avoid the automatic billing that is suppose to start after 30 days.

Well, there is one way to find out. Do you have the app on your Roku? If so, when you launch it, does it let you watch content? Or does it want you to log in?

DBDukes

0 Kudos