Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
adamc
Level 8

Can't get credit card to work for HBO Now?

OK, HBO Now doesn't take paypal (weird). I try my paypal credit card -- I get an error saying I have to have a credit card with a valid US address. Huh? I certainly live in the US. I try another credit card -- same deal. What's up?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Can't get credit card to work for HBO Now?

"adamc" wrote:
OK, HBO Now doesn't take paypal (weird). I try my paypal credit card -- I get an error saying I have to have a credit card with a valid US address. Huh? I certainly live in the US. I try another credit card -- same deal. What's up?

Are you trying to use the card at HBO or Roku. I believe it is HBO as I know Roku takes PayPal.

You might want to ask at HBO as it is they who are denying the CC. Roku does not have a dog in that fight.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Natty
Level 7

Concerning the "invalid credit card address" error code- after much time on the phone with Roku the issue was resolved.
The name and address on your Roku account must exactly match the name and address on your credit card billing information. For example - roku account may be set up with the name Brad and your credit card account is set up with Bradley, or address of N. Main instead of North Main. Also look for middle initials. The info must be identical including spaces and capitalization. Be aware that you are only allowed to change your account info on Roku a limited number of times in one day before being locked out for 24 hours.
We had always used PayPal and had never used a credit card with Roku and the name being abbreviated on the Roku account caused the error.
Hope this helps others!
0 Kudos
adamc
Level 8

Thanks. I tried making them match but am still having the problem, not sure why.

Speaking as a software developer who worked on a credit card application in the distant past, this seems like a strange implementation. Normally you would use an external service or software library to get a "canonical" address, rather than compare what was typed in by hand.
0 Kudos
adamc
Level 8

I got it to work by doing what someone else in the other thread mentioned -- I subscribed through my phone (Android), which doesn't have such a broken credit-card app, then logged in using that.
0 Kudos
Natty
Level 7

Sorry it didn't work for you. We were beyond frustrated when roku support told us to make sure the info was identical and it worked. Perhaps something else was in play. We were apprehensive about starting an account elsewhere because roku had already invoiced the credit card.
Beyond that, we are very happy to have HBO!
0 Kudos
BlueFin53
Level 7

I am having the same problem 'Credit Card Address is Not Valid' to sign up for HBO Now on the Roku. I too had my credit card preference set to PayPal and changed it last week to obtain HBO Now. This might be a factor.
I have called Roku support numerous times. They tell me that they know there is a problem on their side and they are working on it and would let me know when they have it solved via an e-mail. I just received an e-mail saying they assume the problem is resolved and are closing the case. No solution offered but to start over.
I have read the threads on this form and another. I have checked and tweaked the address over and over. I have totally reset the Roku and reentered my channels. I have gone through the steps with Roku support to investigate it several times, no solution. I don't have an android phone to try that one but checked my Kindle Fire and the HBO Now app is not available. You cannot sign up for HBO Now directly on their site it sends you back to one one of their providers, fro me is Roku.
If Roku support reads these treads. Please find a solution to resolve this problem and provide the answer to you support team and customers. Otherwise I have decide not to have HBO or purchase the Amazon or Apple box.
0 Kudos
Natty
Level 7

In an email I received from HBO NOW they also recommended removing apartment numbers and periods from your address on your Roku account. Don't know if this will help, but I guess it's worth a try....
0 Kudos
BlueFin53
Level 7

Thanks Natty,

From memory these are some of the things I have tried in updating my address and credit card info. By the way, the credit card is a Visa with a valid US address.

I have compared the credit card address and the Roku address to look for any subtle differences.

Credit card info the holders name, street and city all caps. I have tried with and without all caps on the Roku credit card registration info.

I have tried with and without the middle initial.

Some have said to spell out street or avenue. Mine is a drive, i have tried with Dr, DR, Dr., and DRIVE.

My credit card has the the -XXXX after the zip code. Roku doesn't accept the -XXXX format.

Credit card is OH, Roku only provides for Ohio.

Other than that they are identical.

I have altered it, double checked, and saved it in at least 10 configurations. Eliminated the channel and added back in before signing it up. Doesn't work.

I contacted Roku support again this morning. The said they are still working on it.
0 Kudos
Natty
Level 7

Wow..... I'm beginning to think I just got lucky... maybe it's like the instructions my grandma gave for catching fish, "You gotta hold your mouth just right."
HBO NOW recommended removing apartment numbers and periods from you roku address... I don't know.
0 Kudos