Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
migloredan
Level 7

Can't get US Channels

Just recently got a Roku 3, but when I try to add channels such as Netflix or Hulu, it gives me the message:

We're sorry. At this time, we don't support adding channels from the web for your region.

I live in the Northern Mariana Islands, which is a United States Commonwealth. I don't see why I can't get the U.S. channels even though we're part of the U.S. I searched online for available solutions and the only option I can find is to pay for a VPN.

Can anyone help? Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
10 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Can't get US Channels

Nope, you're restricted to whatever is available in your area. Against forum policies to tell you how to get around regional blocks. Unfortunately, this is Hulu and Netflix that has these blocks in place.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Your best bet is to contact the providers and ask them - they may have a way to whitelist your IP address or something similar, since yours is a special case.
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

The providers are not the problem -- the OP does not have access to the apps in the channel store ,if they did I am sure Netflix and Hulu would work with him as mikebdoss suggested
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

If my old, and potentially failing, memory is at all reliable I believe the "Northern Mariana Islands" which, like Puerto Rico, is a US Commonwealth and therefore considered, for the purposes of the Roku Channel Store, part of the US.

I would think that a simple PM to RokuShawnS at memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=48334 by the OP with details would get the situation resolved pretty quickly.

BTW: I have visited the Northern Mariana Islands back in the late 1970s shortly after their constitution was adopted. I Stopped there for several weeks to avoid returning to the US mainland while recovering from wounds and found it pleasant for the tropics. I was there near the end of the dry season so I did not experience the rains that I was told were not as bad there as many other Pacific islands.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm checking on the way Roku handles these regions. I'll post back once I have information.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
migloredan
Level 7

Problem has been solved guys, thank you all for the help. RokuShawnS made it possible for me to access U.S. channels (thanks a lot!).

We got hit by a really bad storm a couple of months ago, and while we have power and water restored, cable service is still down in my area and my provider doesn't know when they'll get it up and running. Turned to buying a Roku so I can use my living room TV once again.

Thanks again guys!
0 Kudos
rstegner
Level 7

What needs to be done?  I’m here in a hotel for the next couple months
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Foxbat_25" wrote:
Is there absolutely no way to obtain foreign channels throught Roku? I'm an expat and would like to have things I watch at home even abroad...

No, there's no legal way to access channels that are designated for a specific area when you aren't located in that area. And forum rules prohibit any discussion on methods of bypassing those restrictions. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rstegner
Level 7

I don’t want to hack, jailbreak, or bypass anything,  I just don’t understand if it says it is available in the US and territories and I am in a US territory why I can’t access the content.

Help would be appreciated.   Now I am getting an error occurred during playback message

Any help is appreciated 
0 Kudos