Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevenc1a
Level 7

Buying Roku Overseas

I need to buy a new Roku while in Colombia. My question which I've asked through Roku support with no reply is this.....
If I buy a Roku Express in Colombia and then return to the USA can I add the Sling TV app or because the unit is purchased overseas does that exclude me from adding US streaming apps after being back and on a US IP address?

My 2 Roku 2's are dropping signal frequently.....like several times an hour. I've done factory resets, added a wifi extender with virtually no change.

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Buying Roku Overseas

I believe that as long as the Roku is registered in the US, it will pull up US channels (the IP address determines country of origin).  Origin of purchase shouldn't matter.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
stevenc1a
Level 7

Thanks,

So, are you saying that I will register the device in Colombia to use it here for a while and then when I go back to the USA and take the device I will need to re-register it somehow and then it'll be good to go in using US only apps/services?
I have a Roku account now which was set up in the US so if I add a device it won't be attached to that account? I'd use the same email address and that type of thing to register a new device.

Sorry for the confusion!!

Steve
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

If registering with the original US account, you'll likely have limited access to channels based on your IP/region.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
stevenc1a
Level 7

Thanks!
0 Kudos