Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Bogus charge for a subscription

Jump to solution

My TV was off, nobody watching it. I got an email saying I had subscribed to ESPN+ when I *had not*. This set off alarm bells. I immediately canceled the subscription from my account page and got in touch with customer service to let them know this subscription was not valid. They told me I was out of luck, I have to pay $50 for a channel I have never watched, and sent me a link for how to add a PIN to my transactions. This can’t be right. You wouldn’t charge people for something they didn’t buy and reported immediately, right?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Bogus charge for a subscription

Jump to solution

Resolved, they issued the refund.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

How did you reach Roku customer service? Was it a toll free phone number? If so, it wasn't genuine Roku support. And I doubt Roku would force payment under these circumstances. Not saying it isn't possible, but if it was authentic Roku CS, they might have been mistaken. Send a private message to @RokuDanny-R and they can assist you better. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

It was through their email support. The customer service telephone number said it was closed. I’ll put the reply below, it looks legit. The name on it is CS/MA-Jenelyn Mondriyal.

”Thank you for your response. Checking your account, our system indicates that you subscribed to ESPN+ through Roku on 4/19/2020  and cancelled it on the same date. All channel subscriptions are prepaid and non-refundable but the good thing is you still have access to the channel until 4/19/2021.

To avoid unauthorized charges in the future, you may set up a PIN following the steps on the link below:
https://support.roku.com/article/115015575047 (How do I create or update the PIN (Personal Identification Number) for my Roku account?) 

Regards,
Roku Customer Support”
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

OK, that looks genuine. But I would still work with Danny or Tanner and see if you can get it reversed. That doesn't seem like a reasonable policy, and other companies have had to alter their position on this very thing recently. Tesla also had a no refunds policy on purchases through their phone app, but after complaints they allowed a grace period for refunds. 

And the PIN is a smart idea to protect against unauthorized purchases. Myself, I haven't given Roku a current credit card number, so they can't bill me for anything. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@gwen_h 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. They will follow up to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Danny!

They have not followed up yet.

This is a pretty upsetting experience, especially during a very difficult time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Customer service has said they need to request a refund from ESPN, and they said a response will take 3-5 business days. They didn’t given me any ticket # and reference # for that request. Is this typical?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Resolved, they issued the refund.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos