Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Bit Rate Menu & Account Information

1. From reading some discussions I found out that the hidden Bit Rate Menu does not work. Well then, it should be removed at the next software update (Duh!) so people will not be wasting their time with it.

2. Why can just anyone log in here with nothing more than a user name - created "on the fly" and post? Why is not a password required? Most forums require that and an email address.

3. I had a problem logging in to my Roku (devices) account to update my email address. The login kept prompting for a Link code from my TV screen. I have three Roku3s, and two of them on. The Link code did not appear on either of those. I would not like to do a factory reset just to get a link code every time I need to login to my devices account.

I don't know if that is a website bug or what. However I was finally able to get logged in I closed the page and re-access it using this link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjY_c7Lj5Lp...

4. Lastly, when I was ready to log out I did not find a  signout link on the page. Another website bug? I had to use another Google search to find that:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=20&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjv_KubkJL...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Bit Rate Menu & Other Topics

1. The "hidden" menu items are hidden for a reason. They are used for internal testing, and not intended for end users. The Bit Rate function does work, but only with sites that do not use adaptive streaming. And since most sites do use that, it makes that function moot. 

2. You can only log into the forum with a valid Roku user account. I don't know what you mean by something created "on the fly".

3. You log into your Roku account at https://my.roku.com. You need your account password, but there's no code required. To change your email address, you might need assistance from Roku support. Send a private message to @RokuDanny-R for help.

4. You log out of this and other Roku sites by clicking your user icon at the top right corner of the page and select sign out.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

And don't ever use Google to log into any account!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Replies within the quote: 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a.

@atc98092wrote:

1. The "hidden" menu items are hidden for a reason. They are used for internal testing, and not intended for end users. The Bit Rate function does work, but only with sites that do not use adaptive streaming. And since most sites do use that, it makes that function moot.

1a. It does not work (as expected), because when changing the setting it does not "stick". If it is checked again later it it is showing "Automatic".

That is what your customers are complaining about.

I normally don't use that menu. But, I use my phone to cast Live Stream websites to my Roku. At some point the Roku begins to buffer since the website cannot keep up with it. Part of that problem is the slow DSL speed I have so as not be under an ISP data cap. If I could lower the bitrate it would help with this problem.

So if someone wants to change the setting to say, 2.5 MBps it should keep that setting.

Several replies by Roku agents to this post:
"Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate"

did say something about that menu never did work

So if it really is not intended for end users it should be easy enough to remove it from system updates for end users, and still keep it for internal testing.

2. You can only log into the forum with a valid Roku user account. I don't know what you mean by something created "on the fly".

2a. I don't know what happened there. All I know is I was in this forum to make this post, and I don't remember if I had logged in earlier. Maybe I did.

"on the fly" means "made it up" to make a post. Maybe it just happened to match my alias. I don't know.

3. You log into your Roku account at https://my.roku.com. You need your account password, but there's no code required. To change your email address, you might need assistance from Roku support. Send a private message to @RokuDanny-R for help.

3a. It happened again this evening.

4. You log out of this and other Roku sites by clicking your user icon at the top right corner of the page and select sign out.

4a. Resolved - Browser problem.

0 Kudos