Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Subzero7
Level 7

Re: activation fraud

Jump to solution

I had the same problem.  However, with me, I purchased a Hisense Roku TV for my dad last April from BestBuy.  I got the TV set up, but when I to activate it, the TV screen showed an error and a phone number to call.  After feeling like something was off, and asking several questions, the "agent" seemed to answer with all the right words, and as much as it pains me to say this, I fell for it.  I was offered a monthly fee or a one-time lifetime fee of $149.  That was supposed to cover my current and all future Roku activations.  While it was annoying, I felt I had no choice.  The thing is after I got done with the "agent," the error on the TV disappeared, and I was able to activate it.  Now, months later, due to an unrelated technical issue I've been dealing with regarding my current Roku, I logged into my Roku account last night.  I don't know what made me think of it, but I decided to look in my "purchase" history to see if that charge was there.  Of course, it wasn't.

Other activity was there (i.e., move purchases, and rentals).  So I decided to Google "caligeeks."  And sure enough, many articles came up about them.  Some are dealing with Roku, some were talking about fraud.  And that is when I found out I was snookered!  I've contacted my CC company, and they are looking into it, and I'm now in here to see if others have had this problem.  Like I mentioned, my incident was in April.  But it really disturbs me that yours was so recent.  I feel that signifies that there is an "ongoing" issue, and there must be an "insider" in Roku that is working with "Caligeeks" to perpetrate this fraud.  Otherwise, how would they be able to cause an error on the TV screen itself with the fraudulent phone number.  And it still appears to be going on.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Irondude
Level 7

SCREWED BLUED AND TATTOOED

Jump to solution

I connected a new tv today it wouldn't activate so called the number on screen said I had to pay 129.99 to activate ...

Was not happy had a few words with the lady said it was a new policy since 4 /19 didnt matter if I had 2 other roku's so I hung up 

Highlighted
renojim
Level 13

Re: SCREWED BLUED AND TATTOOED

Jump to solution

IT'S A SCAM!!!  You're at least the third person to report this.  Just to be clear, the number is appearing on your TV?  Not a computer or phone?  If it's on the TV, how is some scammer hacking Roku TVs?  What model TV and where did you get it?

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: SCREWED BLUED AND TATTOOED

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please be aware that Roku will never charge for support or device activation services. 

For more information about activation, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tamme81
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

This just happened to me, I was trying to activate a Roku and it said it was locked and had me call that number.  He said that they required an activation of $150 now. I was pissed and hung up and tried to do it myself and realized it was a scam. It was too late as he had already had access all of my Roku information which has my PayPal in it. These people are just getting too sneaky

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Walker1
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

While trying to activate a Roku TV I bought from a friend, after trying to activate using the TV and my phone, I also got the error message, so I called the number.

Guy answered and told me, no problem, he could help...  He helped he "set up" my account, then explained the new November 2019 "rule" about "mandatory" registration for new activation.  $79.99 for couple years, $129.99 for life.  Told him that I had read on the TV itself and online that there were no fees; he stated again about the new "mandatory" rule.

It felt wrong, so I stalled; he then stated that he could give me 30% off on his employee card and give me lifetime for $99.69.

He said it was good for 30 minutes then the account would be deleted.

I asked if I could do all this online and he stated "no"! 

He did give me a name(obviously false), number and extension.

I waited one hour, then went online, created an account, activated my device, and have been watching TV just fine since.

I look forward to contact from Roku to address this scam!!!

Walker

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

These scammers have really gotten good. I have no idea how people are getting their contact information, but please, everyone just remember that Roku does not charge for accounts, there's no such thing as an "upgraded" account, and Roku does not charge to register a device. There's no limit on the number of devices you can have on a single account. If the support phone number is toll-free, IT'S A SCAM SITE!, If they want to charge you, IT'S A SCAM SITE. If they want to connect to your computer to "assist", IT'S A SCAM SITE!

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
LalaWheng
Level 7

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Same thing is happening with me, the third party called me without my permission and was repeatedly asking for my information, saying something about an activation fee and that I will have access to all the streaming channels and my email. When your own product tells me that I won’t be charged, could you please fix this or I will have to return the product.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

@LalaWheng wrote:

Same thing is happening with me, the third party called me without my permission and was repeatedly asking for my information, saying something about an activation fee and that I will have access to all the streaming channels and my email. When your own product tells me that I won’t be charged, could you please fix this or I will have to return the product.

Same thing: it was a scammer, not Roku. Now how did they get your contact info? I have no idea. I hope that Roku hasn't suffered a data breach, but that is worrisome that you received a cold call about it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mjurney
Level 7

Re: Activation Fee

Jump to solution

Ok. Same thing happened to me during setup and activation.  It did not accept the code and immediately an error message pops up on my phone stating the I needed to contact support for help.  There was a phone number given to call.  At NO time did I search Google for Roku support.  This was an automatic message that came in after the code was not accepted.   I gave the guy my login and password he got it running then said it would be 99.99 for a 5 year activation.   I told him to kick rocks and he hung up on me.  I changed my password to my Roku account immediately.  Is there anything else I should do?

0 Kudos