Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joyce2
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution
I was scammed this same way in trying to activate a new Roku after my old unit failed due to planned obsolescence. I was told that two months ago, Roku started charging for new accounts and for activating new devices. I gave them a credit card number but froze my credit card before they had a chance to use it. Don’t know what other damage they might do to me. It would be nice if Roku had a customer service policy where you could actually contact them for matters like this.
Highlighted
RowKewIsBS
Level 7

Jump to solution

Their customer service is a joke.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge for device activation.

For more information about how to activate or link a Roku streaming device, visit our Support page here: How do I activate or link my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DD2903
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just had a similar experienced and flatly refused to pay for a registration fee.  I was in the process of returning my Roku but in trying to communicate with Roku directly, I found this site.  More information must be done by Roku to stop the egregious theft and deception that is occurring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@DD2903 wrote:

I just had a similar experienced and flatly refused to pay for a registration fee.  I was in the process of returning my Roku but in trying to communicate with Roku directly, I found this site.  More information must be done by Roku to stop the egregious theft and deception that is occurring.

Unfortunately, there's little Roku can do other than try to make sure people are aware. Most of those scam sites are not located in a US territory, so US law is difficult to impossible to enforce. Spending large amounts of money to take them to court will do little to nothing since it can't be enforced on them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
pactec
Level 8

Does Roku charge for setting up device?

Jump to solution

I just purchased a new Roku Premiere and when I was setting it up it locked up and asked me to call 855-256-4555 to set up the player. I called and they said there were 3 programs available. A 5 year plan for 79.99, a 10 year plan for like $100, and a lifetime plan for $179. Told me about all the free movies and all. I told them no thanks and hung up. Is this for real? I will be taking this Roku back.

[post moved to appropriate board and title changed to denote issue]

Highlighted
JaniceCross
Level 7

Fee to activate account?

Jump to solution

I was told by customer service I had to pay 69.99 to activate my Roku, it is new policy as on October 2019. After the call to customer services my other Rokus stopped working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Re: setup

Jump to solution

I think the admins would like to know about this....

if you click on  @RokuTannerD or @RokuDanny-R   and send them a Private message.

Where did you buy this from?

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
pactec
Level 8

Re: setup

Jump to solution

Bought it from Best Buy a few days ago and just installed it. How do I contact these people about this problem?