Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Registration Fee

Jump to solution

@Jdiliberto 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

I would like to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of the device. I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
WaltSm53
Level 7

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Roku as a company has to take some responsibility for this hack. Hackers are somehow able to block the registration of Roku devices and post a number which has to be called to complete registration. No one is browsing the web searching for the 855* number. It is being presented on the TV screen when trying to active the device.

I purchased my Roku brand new from Walmart so its not refurbished in any way and purchased from a valid seller. How are these hackers determining Roku devices are being activated and intervening to scam users? Have Roku serial numbers been stolen and when those devices hit the internet, hackers can see them and intervene?

ROKU...investigate!

I'm filing a complaint with the FCC and any other federal and state agencies who have oversight for issues like this. Customers will continue to be scammed until Roku and authorities step in to act.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
andyross
Level 12

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Just because it's Walmart doesn't mean they didn't resell a device. Knowing how cheap they are, they may even 'refurbish' and resell them.

Looking at the box and docs that came with my Express, and there is NO phone number anywhere that I can see. Like many tech companies, they do everything to push you to use their web site. Even the web site doesn't list any true support number that is easily found.

As I mentioned, the only way these fake numbers are showing onscreen is if the device is somehow hacked ahead of time. That could mean maybe using the secret network menu to set a DNS server. Or somehow loading a malicious channel that auto-starts and emulates setup and leads to that fake phone number. It could be somebody nearby returning these devices, which get into the pipeline, or even something malicious from whoever is actually manufacturing for Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SandmanXX
Level 9

Re: Registration Fee

Jump to solution

Interesting reading, seeing all this scam stuff.   I know better, and will not be fooled, and I have 2 Roku Ultras coming in the mail tomorrow from Walmart ordering.  I already have 1 Roku Ultra set up and running, from over a year ago, no issues then.

I just reset and set up my current roku, and was asked to enter the activation code on the screen, nothing funny happened.

I will do as usual and go to the roku account page, and set up both these devices, probably tomorrow night.  I'm interested to see if this scam stuff tries to happen to me. Smiley Happy

(3) Roku Ultras 4670X, Samsung Q8 tv, Samsung NU7100 tv
0 Kudos
Highlighted
slowens
Level 7

Scammed to activate ROKU account

Jump to solution

While trying to activate my roku today - the code given would not activate and was directed to a specific website. Once there, the lady on the line said that roku charges a one time fee to activate the account. When I asked if I could just go online and activate - she said “no” .  It all looked like it was coming through Roku, but after activation (which cost $79.99) it looks like it was a third party website “Tech-verve, ll”. What can I do to get my money back - paid through PayPal !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
WaltSm53
Level 7

Re: activation fraud

Jump to solution

I used PayPal to charge the scam "activation fee". I opened a refund request with PayPal and my $79.99 is being returned. But that's not the surprising part. As soon as I heard the money was being returned by this hack group, My Roku main screen became completely blank, except for Home and System Settings. I called Roku tech support and they walked me through a factory reset, which brought the Roku back to it's normal opening screen. What type of hold can these scammers have over a Roku to in effect stop it from operating normally before a factory reset cancels their ability to access the Roku?

Roku should really be investigating the issue because so many people are suffering loses.

I suggest anyone who paid the scam fee contact Roku and do a factory reset. You'll have to add back your channels but you'll be free of this hack.

BTW...I'm checking with Walmart online where I purchased it but I'm 99% confident my Roku is a new device, never used previously.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SandmanXX
Level 9

Jump to solution

So, Walt, are you sure you physically typed in the account page on roku . com, and not from a google/bing search engine link?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
WaltSm53
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes it was definitely from roku.com and I was on the phone with authentic Roku support. I called the actual Roku support line and not the infamous 855 scam line. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SandmanXX
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well, just curious.  I'll be interested to do this tomorrow, as Walmart says the 2 Ultras will be here tomorrow, and I'll hook them up sometime tomorrow as well.  1 will be 20 feet from my computer desk, in the bedroom, so I can see that screen real-time.  I will probably do the other on the phone while standing next to the other tv.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Scammed to activate ROKU account

Jump to solution

@slowens 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you experienced.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

I would like to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of the device. I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos