Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Areynolds1
Level 7

Scammed by ppl posing as Roku!

Jump to solution

I was scammed by a person posing as Roku. As i turned my tv on to follow steps to activate my Roku account. It told me to go to roku.com/link. That's where I entered my 4 digit code and it didn't work. then a number popped up on my screen to call. I called and I was told there would be a activation fee of $49.99. after I paid Roku updates started popping up and I was able to stream like normal. Come to find out it was a scam and I didn't have to pay. ROKU YOU NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS PEOPLE ARE POSING FROM YOU GUYS COMPANY DOING THIS SCAMMING. IVE REACHED OUT TO CUSTOMER SERVICE AND IT WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO I WAS TOLD! PEOPLE PLEASE BE AWARE! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Scammed by ppl posing as Roku!

Jump to solution

@Areynolds1 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

I would like to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device. I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Boaoxgrl15
Level 7

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

I tried to activate a new device and it said link failed and go to Roku.com/link to set up.  I tried that and it said to call some number.  I should have known better when the guy said a tech would call me.  He tried to charge me for a new “plan” that I never paid for previously.  Thankfully I never updated my payment method because I don’t buy or rent shows or movies. I said I’ll call back later and hung up.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Boaoxgrl15 wrote:

I tried to activate a new device and it said link failed and go to Roku.com/link to set up.  I tried that and it said to call some number.  I should have known better when the guy said a tech would call me.  He tried to charge me for a new “plan” that I never paid for previously.  Thankfully I never updated my payment method because I don’t buy or rent shows or movies. I said I’ll call back later and hung up.  

That was a scammer. It appears that someone has figured out how to hijack the DNS servers at some ISPs, and redirect the URL to their scam site. I don't know how it's done, but there's been far too many users here with the same problem for it to be a single DNS. Glad you didn't give them any payment info or personal info (I hope). 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Jump to solution

I suspect it's saying "Please go to Roku.com/Link" but I'm guessing the people affected are not actually typing "Roku.com/link" but clicking on the word "Roku com/link" which is actually taking them elsewhere. 

I'm guessing the original attempt to activate was mistyped, bringing the user to a screen that looked legit but was not.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rich_T
Level 10

Jump to solution

After a breif bit of googling, it turns out that if you enter the link, the words in the link ( or any combination) into a search engine such as google you may be presented with scam sites.

Further more if you then go to the scam site, and then try to enter the correct web address, in some cases auto correct can kick in and take you back to the scam site.

Its an unfortunate aspect of life, and people will try and scam where they can, from a UK perspective there are many other scam sites around that look like the real thing, but will charge you for something that should be free, or charge additional fees on top of what you should pay - such as government services ( passports, driving licences etc etc)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rickfraser
Level 7

Being charged a fee to activated your new TV

Jump to solution

I want everyone know there is a scam out there when you want to activated your smart TV or Roku devise there is a link that asks you for 69.99 one time charge to get your TV to work on roku. Do not pay them you can activated your new TV by going to ROKU.COM on your computer or phone and set up a new account.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Boaoxgrl15 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

If you would like us to take a look at your account and make everything has been set up properly, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trucker61
Level 7

Jump to solution

You have taken money out of my checking account with out my ok. Now I want my 27.72 put back in my checking account because I decided not to have Roku and canceled it two days after I got it

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi,

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi,

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Error Code 14.30 called Customer service number being asked to pay $69.99 to update

Jump to solution

Haven't used the Roku in a couple of Months, went to use it last week and it will not let me connect to my network, when I called your customer service I was told that there was an update and that there was a fee to update. I don't understand why I am being charged. 

0 Kudos