Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Subscription scam

Jump to solution

I just paid 189 for a lifetime subscription I got the phone number from roku.com/link how does this happen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Subscription scam

Jump to solution

@Dwight1969 

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. Please see more information here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

If you need further assistance with your account to make sure everything has been setup correctly, please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Why when I set my device up, I was directed to APEX Infotech Solutions?

Jump to solution

Why was I directed to APEX Infotech Solutions when I tried setting up my Roku Device. I'm thinking I was scammed out of $300 for a lifetime membership! A lifetime membership to what? To my knowledge there is no fee to activate a Roku device. I think what most upsets me, is why Roku would do this!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Why when I set my device up, I was directed to APEX Infotech Solutions?

Jump to solution
Roku didn't do this. But if you mistyped the roku.com/link you were told to visit you could have gone to a website a scammer set up to catch common typing mistakes. Another way to reach a scammer is to enter the address in a SEARCH field instead of an ADDRESS field on your browser so that you get web search results where scam sites can be present as well, sometimes prominantly. The scammer gets enough information from you to actually get you a working Roku, so you're none the wiser, although they may have set you up with a Roku account that they control instead of you.

Any information you gave the scammer should be considered as compromised. You should contest the fraudulent charges and have your card account closed and replaced with a new one.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

This happened to me on 7.30.20. I also hung up immediately and scanned my PC. There were no Trojans but I changed my banking passwords to be safe. I see this happed to you over a year ago and this scam is still alive and well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: False advertisement

Jump to solution

Same thing happened to me today....did you get your tv to work after the experience?.....I am taking my tv back and getting another one

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

set-up scam

Jump to solution

I want to report a creepy experience I had last night while trying to set up my Roku Premier for the first time.

Following the prompts on the screen, I went to Step 3 to activate my account and the attached screen popped up telling me I had 'Networking Error 003'.

I attempted to call the number on the screen +1 (855) 741-0779 to get "unlocked".  This number gave a recorded message that said 'this number does not work in your calling area'.  I was then given the number for the 'Roku Help Line', which was (844) 903-2751.  On this number I was asked for information regarding my purchase and then asked which 'plan' I wanted.  I asked if there was a charge, and was informed the choices were the 1 year plan for $99, the 3 year plan for $149, or the lifetime plan for $199.  
Luckily, I protested, saying I just want to try it out with my Tablo OTA recorder for 14 days (the Best Buy trial period) so I don't want to pay to have it activated in case it didn't work or I didn't like it.  The fellow had a thick Indian accent and the phone line was clicking in and out (looking back on it I believe he was recording my call), so I told him I couldn't understand him.  He asked if he could call me back at my number.  I said yes and he called me from +1 (253) 275-0632.  With a clear connection we then began to argue back and forth, until I saw the notice on the screen that said 'Roku does not charge for activation'.  I told him it was a scam, and hung up.

How is this possible?  Perhaps there is malware in the chips coming from the factory that makes this bogus screen appear on Step 3?  Please alert the company.  My Device ID is K43069382926.

I fear for people who might be more gullible than me.  

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

We tried to link an i-phone today, and it worked without any problem. The TV worked but we were unable to access any ROKU channels. Since we linked the I-phone it is working. Mine is an old TV a friend passed along to us with the Roku so I have no place to return it too. The whole problem has been maddening! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Monica9 wrote:

We tried to link an i-phone today, and it worked without any problem. The TV worked but we were unable to access any ROKU channels. Since we linked the I-phone it is working. Mine is an old TV a friend passed along to us with the Roku so I have no place to return it too. The whole problem has been maddening! 

Not following what you are saying. Are you connecting the Roku to a phone hotspot, and that's the only way the Roku has any content? This thread is about a completely different issue, and has nothing to do with connectivity. 

You should create a new thread that deals specifically with the issue you're having. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: set-up scam

Jump to solution

Where's the attached screen?

0 Kudos