Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku TV Activation

Jump to solution

@mzcity01 wrote:

Thank you so much for your quick response. I received the original information from the ONN Roku Tv I just purchased on 07/01/20. I entered the information from my old (previous) email I was using before and it would not allow it to go thru and that is when I received a call from #608-807-5563 and from there the representative asked me a bunch of questions then advised me to call #877-979-8466 where the representative walked me thru a process of setting up a new email and then going over the fees with me. They then explained to me that I would need to confirm payment by signing 2 E-Document forms, (which I have not done yet), but I did give my credit card information over the phone last night. They have not run it yet but I have set everything up. What should I do from this point because I have already signed into Roku now on my television and changed all my information? Is there anything that can be done now?

Since you gave them CC info, watch for any charge from them and immediately contest any such charge. You might even consider cancelling that card before they do and having your bank issue a new one.

If your TV is currently using the account they walked you through to set up, do a factory reset and link your TV back to your original account. Don't use the account they created with/for you, because they'll be able to control it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Dan you are AWESOME!! Thank you so much but I have to admit I am not sure of how to perform a factory reset on my ROKU television. Are you able to assist me with that? I will then leave you alone :-) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

NEVERMIND!! I researched it and found the information on how to factory reset. Once again thank you for your information...you are the BEST!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Thanks. Glad you found the info before I saw your post. Good luck, and let us know if we can help further. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Refund my money back on my card.and cancel account

Jump to solution

We purchased a Roku on Friday.  It was being set up on the TV and i received an error message saying to contact ROKU.

I went to site, immediately received an unidentified call which I did not answer.  After numerous calls I answered as thought related.  

A man with a heavy accent went thru offering assistance to sign up the roku.  Then he said I would need to pay a basic fee $56.  I said I was told this was free to which he went on to say how policies had changed etc.

He sent me an email-I did not feel right in doing this so I told him I could not access my email while on the phone.  We went on to start to watch a show and then 15 minutes later it stopped and I received a call.  The man was very pushy and obviously he had access to our roku,  I went and made this payment.  

Now i realize this was a scam and I will contact my bank BUT he had access to my roku,  Will this person go in and stop it again?  Can I change my pin number? [post edited] How is the best way to fix this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Do a hard reset on your Roku devices that are on your account right away.  Here is their instructions on how to do this:  https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

Then contact your card's issuing bank and follow their instructions. I would change any password or PIN number that either was needed to access it and/or associated in some way with my Roku account to be on the safe side after resetting my device(s).  To see how I-and others in my own family-protect ourselves online from now on, read this: 

How To Keep Your Hard Earned Money Very Separate From Your Roku Account For The Foreseeable Future 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Community-Discussions/How-To-Keep-Your-Hard-Earned-Money-Very-Separate...

As for reporting to the general interested population that needs protection, you already have done this, not just in your state.  By warning others of your dealings with these creeps right here, right now even on a holiday weekend.  Thank you for caring!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Ottodl1993 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

If you would like us to take a look at your account and make everything has been set up properly, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Why doesn't Roku have warning on there home page....

Jump to solution

I was excited to plug in my new TCL Roku TV only to fall for one the many Roku scams out there. I fill that by this time Roku knows about these scams and at this point is part of the problem. Roku is allowing this to go on by not having a large warning stating that no payments need to be made to anyone for activation.

It looks like I'm out of $170.00. I've reported this to everyone I could think of. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Why doesn't Roku have warning on there home page....

Jump to solution

Immediately dispute the charge on your credit card. If you begin seeing false charges on it, I recommend cancelling the card and having your bank issue a new one.

Roku does provide a warning on screen during the set up process that there is no charge to register/link a Roku device, or to create a user account. But the scammers have manipulated the Internet search engines to promote their bogus sites over the genuine Roku site. Google is the worst for it, while Bing is far better. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

So I also fell for this very clever scam. I'm very worried about the fact the they were able to reset and load software into my new TV while I was on the phone with them. I guess I'm out of $170.00

Will preforming a "Factory Reset" block them from getting back into my TV?

0 Kudos