Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku tv scam to add channels

Jump to solution

@Hmv216 @anna2 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

If you would like us to take a look at your account to make sure everything has been set up properly, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team who will be able to assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku phone scam

Jump to solution

I just had a scammer try and get me to pay $200 for software to remove and protect myself for network Trojans.  I was setting up my new Roku and it wouldn’t take the code at the online roku site.  A screen came up from My Roku activation on my TV that said call if there is a problem, call this number .  I called and thought I was talking to a Roku rep, why wouldn’t it be since I was calling a number generated by the sign in? This man with a heavy East Indian accent told me it was because of Trojans in my network and asked to down load an app so he could connect with my PC. I let him And he proceeded to show me some dos command that showed supposedly all the security software had been shut down.  Well I had just run my Norton and Malware and knew that not to be true.  I am doubting him now and then he said that for $200 he could fix it forever.  I told him I didn’t think he worked for Roku and hung up.  
I deleted the “Rescue Me” or”go assist“ app he had me download.  They seem to be legit but what else did he download on to my PC?  I changed the password to my network and ran some malware software.  Is there anything else I should do?  This is Roku’s responsibility, you were either hacked or it is an inside job.  So much for Roku’s security. I just hope I don't have more problems with someone  accessing my financial accounts or credit cards.  Phone # on my Roku screen that I called for help:  877-475-6463.  This is a slick scam.  No Roku client would have no reason to suspect that they weren’t calling Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

Can you factory reset your Roku and cause the same thing to happen?  I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would like to see a photo of the number on your TV screen.  Several people have reported this happening in the past, but it was never clear if the number appeared on their TV or their computer screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@cjpeterson7 

Thanks for the information.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info but the charge was for a software program that this scammer said I needed to protect and eliminate my trojan infested network.  This is my second Roku and I knew I shouldn't have to pay for the activation code.  Another thing he had said as he was about to fix my computer is that the Roku wouldn't be available for a few hours or my computer.  What damage they could have done if I  had let this happen?  My financial accounts could have been stripped.  The $200 payment for the software is where I said to this scammer no way and hung up.  This guy is smooth and I still am wondering how they got my new Roku to bring up the number that led to this scammer.  That's whats so scary to me because I had no reason to doubt that I wasn't talking to a Roku rep.  All the information as to who to call because the code wouldn't take, was on the Roku activation screen.  I did the code checking all on my Ipad but finally got the code to take by signing in on the Roku activation site on my PC.  Doubt that made a difference but that's how it went.  Is there anything else I should do to protect myself from this invasion of my computer by these scammers?  I have changed passwords on most everything I could think would be affected but I am still uneasy that they may have access to my files.  I see this as a real  problem for you guys because I will not be the only one.  I passed on the software because it was too expensive for one and I was feeling like this isn't kosher while speaking to this guy.  He was PO when I said no and got off the phone.  Sorry guys this looks like a security breach on your end either you were hacked or it is and inside job.  Tell me how I am wrong if you don't agree.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Please confirm: you are saying the phone number to called appeared on the Roku screen itself, not some web site  that you reached on your iPad or computer? Not doubting or anything, but we need complete clarity where this appeared. A number of people have said it was on their screen, but it was really just a web site they hit accidentally. 

If it was absolutely on the TV screen itself, then you are right that Roku has a serious security issue. Either their update site has been breached (Roku problem), or the Internet DNS servers have been compromised and are directing Roku devices to a false update site which is pushing hacked firmware to the devices on first startup. That scenario will be much harder to track, but Roku should be able to get them to correct the DNS servers as they are the lawful FQDN owners. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is this activation error a scam?

Jump to solution

So I bought the TCL Roku smart TV and it was a replacement for an old one we had that was broken. We have had Roku for since 2016 and have 3 devices (2 Roku boxes, 1 TV) and we got a support number on the screen for an error setting it up and we called, the foreign man we spoke to had a very heavy accent and although we do not assume, we know that most scams are taking place in India with fake phone numbers. The phone number was 803-993-8224, and said that it was in Denmark, South Carolina. The man saying he was a "technician" for Roku stated that as of February 2020, they'd be charging extra for more than 3 devices because of "the coronavirus".... afterwords we tried to explain saying that. We tried to tell him that this sounds like a lie and we looked it up, not finding anything of the sort. As we said "So if we go on Roku's website it'll say that ____" then the man hung up. he also sent my mother a link to reset her Roku password (which she unknowingly did, and now worried they have access to our account information), I'm the son writing this and my mother was the one on the phone trying to get answers. The man had access to our account and even was able to say all the devices we have in the house. Knowing how businesses are they most likely cannot just look through your devices without reasoning, but we didn't ask, afterwords I look at my mothers phone and the link was rokucom.live that said she had an error setting it up. I told my mother that she needs to look at links more carefully and that scammers are getting smarter and smarter, but I need answers, because the number on the TV screen was the one we called and the "technician" was the one that answered. With this knowledge I'm looking to know A) does he have access to our accounts, and/or was it an actual technician for Roku. and B) Does everything I'm saying follow what you guys at Roku are actually doing, I.E. charge extra for devices now and have false numbers on the screen, and if so, was it a faulty device, hacked device, etc.

Thank you and please help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Is this activation error a scam?

Jump to solution

@Andrea64 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For security purposes, we would recommend changing your Roku account password.

For more information, visit our Support pages here: 
Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?
How do I change the email address or password for my Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Is this activation error a scam?

Jump to solution

@Andrea64 wrote:

So I bought the TCL Roku smart TV and it was a replacement for an old one we had that was broken. We have had Roku for since 2016 and have 3 devices (2 Roku boxes, 1 TV) and we got a support number on the screen for an error setting it up and we called, the foreign man we spoke to had a very heavy accent and although we do not assume, we know that most scams are taking place in India with fake phone numbers. The phone number was 803-993-8224, and said that it was in Denmark, South Carolina. The man saying he was a "technician" for Roku stated that as of February 2020, they'd be charging extra for more than 3 devices because of "the coronavirus".... afterwords we tried to explain saying that. We tried to tell him that this sounds like a lie and we looked it up, not finding anything of the sort. As we said "So if we go on Roku's website it'll say that ____" then the man hung up. he also sent my mother a link to reset her Roku password (which she unknowingly did, and now worried they have access to our account information), I'm the son writing this and my mother was the one on the phone trying to get answers. The man had access to our account and even was able to say all the devices we have in the house. Knowing how businesses are they most likely cannot just look through your devices without reasoning, but we didn't ask, afterwords I look at my mothers phone and the link was rokucom.live that said she had an error setting it up. I told my mother that she needs to look at links more carefully and that scammers are getting smarter and smarter, but I need answers, because the number on the TV screen was the one we called and the "technician" was the one that answered. With this knowledge I'm looking to know A) does he have access to our accounts, and/or was it an actual technician for Roku. and B) Does everything I'm saying follow what you guys at Roku are actually doing, I.E. charge extra for devices now and have false numbers on the screen, and if so, was it a faulty device, hacked device, etc.

Thank you and please help

Absolutely not. That was a scammer. Roku does not charge for anything about account creation or adding devices to an account. 

If she provided the account email address and password, yes it's extremely possible they now control your account. Try to change the password, and if you can't log in they've already locked you out. Send a PM to @RokuDanny-R with your account details (he doesn't need your password) and he can help restore access or cancel the account so you can create a new one. With a new account you'll have to do a hard reset on the device(s) to set them up with the new account. If you have any paid subscriptions on the old account work with Danny to get them moved. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

Danny, this just happen to us. Our TV wouldnt accept our internet code to be used. We called the #it gave on the TV screen. They said, they changed policy as of jan 2020, (we bought ours dec 2019) said "For life time access and 300 channels 99.00) Husband paid, but now we are seeing it's a scam! Not only are we out the money we are open to credit card fraud,😭. How would we get around this and how did they lock out our TV internet connection? Any help would be great. The people said it was EZBUY merchant.

0 Kudos