Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

I tried to set up an additional Roku at my house and when I went to the website to activate it I got an error code and directed me to call a phone number. The lady told me that as of January 1,2020 Roku requires a registration fee of $100 for 2 years of service.  And since I didn’t pay that today she said my other 2 Rokus will stop working in a week. I tried to look on the website to find out more about this but it just takes me in circles. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate charge?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

@Darlene12 wrote:

I tried to set up an additional Roku at my house and when I went to the website to activate it I got an error code and directed me to call a phone number. The lady told me that as of January 1,2020 Roku requires a registration fee of $100 for 2 years of service.  And since I didn’t pay that today she said my other 2 Rokus will stop working in a week. I tried to look on the website to find out more about this but it just takes me in circles. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate charge?

NO! It is not true. Roku does not charge anything. When you went to the web site, you mistyped the web address, or used a web search to get to the Roku site. You ended up on one of the scam sites. 

Do a hard reset on your Roku (find the hidden recessed button and hold it for over 30 seconds), then walk through the setup again. When you get to the activation screen, make sure you type the web address exactly as shown, including the https:// at the very beginning. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Was Charged $99.99 for extra ruko

Jump to solution

I talked to a man about my ruko not working and he said I had to pay $99.99 for it because I already had a ruko on another tv. He said this would be good for 5 years. I got scammed because my children have more then one ruko and didn’t pay extra. What do I do now. I have put a dispute of charge on my card. DidAny one else fall for this???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Was Charged $99.99 for extra ruko

Jump to solution

@Chrisklees 

Yes you were scammed it actually costs nothing.

Contact your bank and or Credit Card immediately.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

I was just charged 130 to activate a new Roku device.  How can I get my money back? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

@Djacques wrote:

I was just charged 130 to activate a new Roku device.  How can I get my money back? 

You contacted a scam site. There's nothing Roku can do to help you. First, immediately change your Roku account password. Then file a dispute against the charge with the company that issued the card you used to pay. 

Roku doe not charge anything to activate a device, there's no such thing as any advanced account or charge for multiple devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Problem setup/activate Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Beware of scam!!!

We purchased a new Roku Ultra and was trying to setup and activate, when I followed the instruction, the tv screen only the Roku logo with distorted signal. I got online and found this website,

Go.Roku.com/selectinput | Select the Right Roku TV Input
Go.Roku.com/selectinput helps you to select the right Roku TV input and troubleshoot the video streaming issues. Call us @ +1-844-218-9011.
Which was a big mistake, I chat first with a tech first and explained my issue with the Roku, he said my Roku account was too old and needed update, wanted to charge a one time fee of $69.95 to update my account and help me setup the Roku. I told him that Roku doesn't charge a fee for activation, he continued to gave me more BS, told me the only way I would get the new Roku player to work is to pay him the $69.95. I told him I will take care of the issue myself.
If you need help, always contact Roku support directly," Do not go to the website  above for any help, they are just a big scam to get $69.95 for you one time."
Highlighted
Level 7

Beware when you call customer support

Jump to solution

I called to activate my existing Roku TV the technician was extremely rude he wanted me to pay a $70 one time fee to register my ruku account and activate my tv... I asked for a supervisor then I asked for the supervisors name he told me to get lost and hung up so I called back I spoke with another supervisor I told him to stay on the line while I look on the website to see the $70 fee and then he hung up. So be careful do not let them scam you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Problem setup/activate Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

So here is how one activation scam works.  When you are told to go to a url like Roku.com/activate this is supposed to be an address. On some browsers especially those on tablets, the words end up in the search field.  Any site that matches the phrase can be made to look like the real deal.  When some official looking preview text draws your click, an convincing forgery of the activation form takes your information. Just as you hit <enter> low and behold the network reports an error. But fear not, an 800 number appears  so that dedicated support people can fix you up with an activation over the phone.

Now if you are alert, you might notice two things, the url you landed on initially has a url that sounds like India more than Indiana and the person you are talking to has a hard time with English. After an eternity trying to spell your name etc. it’s oh by the way there is a small fee to access all those wonderful channels. When you balk at $99 she says she will speak to the boss and try to get you a discount. Smiley Sad  
SO ROKU - action item: Ma and Pa need more guidance on getting to the right site. 
Tell them EXACTLY what to type and WHERE to type it. Tell them how to know that they got to the RIGHT place.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Problem setup/activate Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Not sure of much else Roku can do, it plainly says Roku does not charge for activation, that in the small instruction pamphlet, at least mine did, that comes with the Roku Ultra.

(3) Roku Ultras 4670X, Samsung Q8 tv, Samsung NU7100 tv
0 Kudos