Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

Since I gave the scammer my Roku activation code, should I return my Roku for a different one? Is my Roku, or my subscriptions, or worse, my internet comprised?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

You should go into your Roku account and CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD! Make sure it is VERY different than the previous one.

Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Lori2 wrote:

This happened to me yesterday as well. I entered the link in the Google search box and I too was brought to a page, entered my activation code a few times and was brought to this page that read TV Mount host and web app....

And there is the problem. Somehow, these scammers have infiltrated the web search engines and are coming up as the top hits. I'm not certain there's any way for Roku themselves to change this. The important thing for people to know is that you must not search for Roku support. You must type in the correct web address that is shown on the Roku screen itself. It's https://my.roku.com. There is no other web page that is used to activate your new device. 

As a moderator on a couple of other forums, I am constantly deleting posts and banning users for posting information designed to scam search engines. All we can do here is to continue to remind people that Roku does not charge any fees for registering a new device, nor to create or "upgrade" your Roku account. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Dan, I entered “my.roku.com” into my iPad’s Address Field, not Search. Any other time I can just put “Amazon.com” or “AnyOtherThing.com” into the Address Field and it will go to their website. This was a first for me, not knowing you HAD to use the “https://“ prefix, otherwise...scam site. It’s obviously a weak link. I would highly suggest Roku’s programmers include a strongly worded warning to use the entire address “https://my.roku.com” in the Address Field ONLY on the onscreen activation code prompt.

i lost on this one. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions.  Fortunately, after I registered myself I never noticed the spam again.   Hopefully, this holds.  I am in the process of reversing the credit card charge and defending my case.  I have also cancelled the credit card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Lori2,

I hope things work out for you. I set one Roku stick up a month ago. I started to set up a second Roku stick today, but I used my iPhone instead of a laptop. I followed the instructions and when I got to the step after entering my code number, I wasn't sure what to do. I searched on Google and called a number, which I now think was a fraudulent number. [post edited]. This person said that in order to set up a second Roku account, I had to register the account and pay for either a five-year or a lifetime plan. He also asked for my password. I didn't know it, and he then sent a link to reset my password. I just tried to log in to my account using the new password, and I receive a message that my token is not valid. 

I finally set up another account with different passwords but the same email address. The Roku sticks are working on both TVs, but I'm concerned about giving my password for my initial account to this person. Any advice would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Does Roku charge for setting up device?

Jump to solution

This is exactly what happened to me today. When I got aggressive with them and called them out, they began altering my accounts. Putting all my units on “guest mode”, deleting my units and wreaking havoc. I reset my password and factory reset all my units. What a pain! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@NewUser20 wrote:

Lori2,

I hope things work out for you. I set one Roku stick up a month ago. I started to set up a second Roku stick today, but I used my iPhone instead of a laptop. I followed the instructions and when I got to the step after entering my code number, I wasn't sure what to do. I searched on Google and called a number, which I now think was a fraudulent number. The number I called was [content removed]. This person said that in order to set up a second Roku account, I had to register the account and pay for either a five-year or a lifetime plan. He also asked for my password. I didn't know it, and he then sent a link to reset my password. I just tried to log in to my account using the new password, and I receive a message that my token is not valid. 

I finally set up another account with different passwords but the same email address. The Roku sticks are working on both TVs, but I'm concerned about giving my password for my initial account to this person. Any advice would be helpful.

It was absolutely a fraudulent number, and a scammer. Roku does not have a toll-free number, nor do they ever charge for accounts or support.

You need to completely close the original account, especially if you had a credit card associated with it. Send a private message to either @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD and they can assist you. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dan,

Thanks for your post. I don't know how to close out my original account and keep a new one. I hope someone from Roku will be able to help me today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

Info here on closing out a Roku account:

https://support.roku.com/article/208756028-how-do-i-close-my-roku-account-

If you have already linked your Roku(s) to a new account, you can skip the note about resetting them to factory.

0 Kudos