Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

I got scammed yesterday. But here’s the thing: while getting the activation code onscreen, Roku asks you to go to a website online. I did that, it went to a site that says to enter your four digit activation code. I did that, pushed the “activate” button and it goes to an error page. I did that twice, got the same result. It asks to call [content removed] right away. The guy (broken English, but what support isn’t), tells me he has to charge a fee to activate; new policy. Yeah, I did it, $69.99. Linkcode, or Netpros, has hacked/hijacked the site Roku had me enter. 

Is there no recourse?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

Again, when you typed in the address, did you type in the FULL EXACT ADDRESS? Too many browsers use the address bar as a search, and it may pop up something that looks right, but is actually redirecting to a scam site. Also, if your Roku itself was somehow compromised, it may give a fake link, too.

This is the EXACT link:

https://my.roku.com/link

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@AlanG2 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

If you would like us to take a look at your account and make everything has been set up properly, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

To further add, there is a link right on the top-right of the Roku home page:

RokuActivate.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Andy, I actually entered “my.roku.com/link” without the prefix “https://“. It went directly to the scam site. Maybe the onscreen instructions should specify to enter the whole thing EXACTLY. It is, apparently, a rather common occurrence.

Thanks. Too late for me, I guess. I canceled our credit card, changed some passwords. What a royal pain.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

charges for activating and registration

Jump to solution

My first time on Roku. My roku would not be activated if I didn't pay a registration fee of $69.95 . I was never made aware of this when I bought it. Has anyone else been charged this fee?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: charges for activating and registration

Jump to solution

Its a scam!! Roku does not charge for activation or service, EVER!!! Have others been charge this, yes but they also have been scammed too.

When activating roku, when you get the link code, and address. DO NOT put this into search engine like google or bling, you enter it on the address bar of your browser either on your computer or phone.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: charges for activating and registration

Jump to solution

@Bev1 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have been contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

If you need assistance in activating a device, visit our Support page here: How do I activate or link my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: To many activations

Jump to solution

I got pulled into a registration scam just following the web instructions for activating my ROKU Stick.  How does that happen?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This happened to me yesterday as well. I entered the link in the Google search box and I too was brought to a page, entered my activation code a few times and was brought to this page that read TV Mount host and web app.....I wasn't thinking, I should have noticed. A red 866-***-****, was flashing. Looking at it now, that has scam all over it. I called, a man, Steve, India sounding, totally convinced me that I had to pay this to get my Roku activated. I was charged $69.99. Basically, he just said find this, click next, then scroll down, look for that. He must have entered my code from Roku on the actual Roku site and made it seem like he activated it. Ugghh! I'm so mad. He even had me DocuSign my receipt and I made **bleep** sure I wasn't getting charged more than what he said and that it read a one time fee. I actually was arguing with him about the fee being for extra channels I did not want.  I was emailed a receipt from Caligeek. Where can I report this and have it investigated? I did cancel my credit card also.

0 Kudos