Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: activation fraud

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account. For more information, visit our Support page here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

In addition, as a reminder of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community: 

Be kind, courteous, and positive when posting. The Community exists to help users. Posting abusive, obscene, harassing, hostile, defamatory, offensive, tortious, argumentative, inappropriate or otherwise objectionable content may result in loss of access to the Community. Roku reserves the right to remove any content at its discretion. 

Failure to abide by these guidelines when posting may lose access to posting in the Community.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku TV Activation Fee

Jump to solution

I just purchased a new Roku TV.  When trying to activate, screen said call customer service.  Customer Service told me I had to pay a $99.99 fee to activate.  I'm returning the TV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku TV Activation Fee

Jump to solution

There is absolutely NO activate fee for Roku tv's or ANY type of Roku. You're being scammed. NEVER use a search engine like google or bing to activate a roku. Just go to your address bar at the top of your browser and type in roku.com/link.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Reset Roku to factory default

Jump to solution

NO!!! There is no cost! You accidentally went to a scam web site when you attempted to link the second device. Make sure you go to https://my.roku.com/link to do that. If you accept what the web browser offers as a suggestion, chances are high you get the scam site. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku TV Activation Fee

Jump to solution

@JWHall wrote:

I just purchased a new Roku TV.  When trying to activate, screen said call customer service.  Customer Service told me I had to pay a $99.99 fee to activate.  I'm returning the TV

You were not talking to Roku. They were scammers trying to get your credit card info. Try activating it again, but make sure you go to http://my.roku.com/link to complete the activation. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Additional charges for two Roku Streaming devices?

Jump to solution

When I bought my second roku device, it wouldn't activate so I called the help desk number  my phone gave me. The lady on the other end helped me to set up my box but told me that my 6 month trial had ended and that I would have to pay 99.00 for two devices for three years of service, or 179.00 to have unlimited service. I about cried because I bought a Roku to save money and I don't have that kind of extra money lying around. I told the woman that I didn't get paid for another week, and she gave me a number to call in a week and said that my rokus would work until then. I came here to pay the 99.00, but I couldn't find a link to pay it. Support led me here, and I am so grateful to find out that this was a scam!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Additional charges for two Roku Streaming devices?

Jump to solution

@AudraM wrote:

When I bought my second roku device, it wouldn't activate so I called the help desk number  my phone gave me. The lady on the other end helped me to set up my box but told me that my 6 month trial had ended and that I would have to pay 99.00 for two devices for three years of service, or 179.00 to have unlimited service. I about cried because I bought a Roku to save money and I don't have that kind of extra money lying around. I told the woman that I didn't get paid for another week, and she gave me a number to call in a week and said that my rokus would work until then. I came here to pay the 99.00, but I couldn't find a link to pay it. Support led me here, and I am so grateful to find out that this was a scam!

Glad you found out before paying them. If they call you back, tell them you know they are doing something fraudulently, and threaten legal action if they call again. They won't. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Reset Roku to factory default

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for that reply!  I knew something could not have been right.  The bottom line is that I was having a bandwidth issue.  And then a support call phone number would come up and I would call that.  I believe they were indeed scammers.  I corrected the bandwidth issue, did ANOTHER factory reset and was able to get my device activated.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Trying to set up a Sharp/Roku TV and Roku is wanting $70 to upgrade my account?

Jump to solution

You aren't dealing with Roku, you're dealing with a scammer that is impersonating Roku to swindle you.

IMPORTANT! When linking your device you are directed to go to roku.com/link.  Type this in very carefully and verify that you actually do go there. Otherwise you can end up at a scammer's fake Roku site. If you end up at ANY non-roku.com site (other than the https://my.roku.com/link that you'll get redirected to), back out and try again.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

I was attempting to to change my wi fi password for my new router using the ROkU settings from the TV. It wouldn’t let me do it. The ROKU  TV screen itself directed me to a website that led me to directly to a chat room where I thought I was talking to a ROKU person. They charged me 69.99 for their service. I knew ROKU didn’t charge to set up the original service, but I wasn’t sure about this type of change. I guess now I’ve been scammed. I was so proud of myself for avoiding scams for so long (I’m 74)! ☹️

Tags (1)
0 Kudos