Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Charged $80 cannot contact anyone

Jump to solution

Thats Comptek not compete...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Charged $80 cannot contact anyone

Jump to solution

@sfbluenote wrote:

I was able to get my money back...First, I stopped the charge on my CC.  Then I called the no. I was given by Compete and after repeated attempts I got a live person and demanded a refund.  The guy issued a refund.  But the main thing is to stop the charge...once you have done that Compete are screwed.

Glad you got it back. But keep a close eye on that account, to make sure they don't make additional unauthorized charges. You might ask if that company can be blocked from using the card, but that wouldn't stop them from either using some other company or just selling the number to some other crook. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Comptek

Jump to solution

Well if a person provided their cell phone number before activating their account, couldnt the activation code be texted to that person and entered on the roku device? Or is that too complex for Roku's IT dept to keep customers from even having to try to find the real site? It seems to be an ongoing issue and that would definitely prevent further occurrences. A user friendly....without dealing with the undue stress would help enhance Roku's image. Also....why is Roku not pursuing legal action against Hern ITC. I am sure you can get enough people to show receipts where they are discrediting you guys with the scams they are running. There is no tellling how many sells you guys are losing because of this aggravation. Even the people who pay and think nothing else of it can buy an apple tv and come out cheaper altogether. Let that sink in a bit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

Some newer Roku's have a different setup where it asks for your e-mail to send a link to. That email also then has the true Roku links in it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the Roku's run a firmware update before the linking, so there are probably many still in the pipeline with the older setup link.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@jstap724 wrote:

Well if a person provided their cell phone number before activating their account, couldn't the activation code be texted to that person and entered on the Roku device? Or is that too complex for Roku's IT dept to keep customers from even having to try to find the real site? 

That would require you entering email address used by your Roku account into the Roku, using a remote that's not the easiest to use as a keyboard. Since Roku provides the complete specific URL on the display, it seems far simpler to provide the code onscreen. Nothing needed to be entered via the Roku remote. 

Also, there's a not small number of Roku users that likely don't even have a cell phone, so can't receive a text message. But since using a Roku by default assumes an Internet connection, they will all have a computer. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is this a scam

Jump to solution

I was installing a Roku express in the bedroom, I have one in another bedroom. A message came up that said "OOPS code not activated call 888-609-0026. I did. They answered as Roku support and wanted to send me an invoice for $87 to "register" my account. It would be refunded after 6 months. I did give him my email and the code on the TV. He said he could activate it for 7 days and that they would call back tomorrow to see if I could pay then. I asked if they could send the invoice today so I could read it, but he said I had to stay on the line and complete. Sounds fishy. Anybody else? Called  the real ROKU customer service, but they are not accepting calls currently due to COVID-19.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Is this a scam

Jump to solution

If you google that phone number, it shows lots of scams originating from the number.

You probably should do a factory reset to see if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Is this a scam

Jump to solution

Definitely a scam site. Roku does not use toll free phone numbers.

When registering your Roku unit, the on screen instructions tell you to go to roku.com/link. Be sure you go to https://roku.com/link in your web browser. Enter the full address directly and do NOT enter it into a search field as that's how you end up at a bogus scam site.

Congratulations on smelling something fishy. Your olfactory sense is serving you well.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Company Claiming to Collect Fees for Roku Activation

Jump to solution

While having difficulty setting up my second Roku I somehow wound up calling USA TECH LIVE LLC 773-253-5858 IL.  The person there said that I had to pay an activation fee of  $99.99 for my second Roku device as a lifetime fee.  Like a dope I paid them.  When I found out the mistake was not accurate, I  contacted my credit card company to dispute the charge. USA TECH LIVE said they would reimburse the charge, but I doubt they will.  Please warn others to be careful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

More info! Re: Replace device if scammed?

Jump to solution

We were entering the link to activate. As we typed into google like we do on everything else ... (missed the “my” on the link) roku.com links popped up and it was so fast to select and seemed so legit with logos and all that without looking we ended up at ..... rok-serv.com. When service didn’t activate right away (like so many delays in these Covid times) we ended up paying $149.99 for service up to three devices. We gave our email address, called a help phone number and from that they were able to change our password. We gave a card. Service was activated. The Roku Ultra worked perfectly. They even told us to be sure to choose a new password from the temporary one they gave us to activate. We received customer service emails. All very professional-perfect spelling and everything. Definitely US person on the phone friendly and knowledgeable. Very professional. Everything you could ask for ... except it turned out to be a scam.  If we wouldn’t have checked we never would have guessed any thing was wrong since Roku does not charge for any of the items they told us we needed to pay for. Here’s the number they gave for customer service. +1-305-749-9779.  We are good after the aggravation of disputing the charge, canceling the card etc. Did a factory reset.  Hope this helps somebody. Wish the Roku box had a BIG notice inside alerting to this scam instead of a polite notice on the setup screen that Roku doesn’t charge for customer service. They were very good - they said this was a muliti-device requirement. Who knew - we just figured most people only have one Roku like we did for several years. The setup screen needs to be much more aggressive and straight forward and state DO NOT PAY A FEE - anyone asking is NOT an official Roku site and is a scam. 

0 Kudos