Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 12

Re: Roku subscription or scam?

Jump to solution

Yes - that looks scammy. Could you tell us how exactly that you got there?

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Breestar wrote:

I called the support phone number listed on my TV when the activation failed

There is no phone number displayed on the TV. The phone number was on your computer screen when you attempted to link your TV on the bogus site. 

This is what happened: you began entering the link web address shown on the Roku screen. While you were typing it in, your web browser offered a suggestion of what it felt was a good match to what you were typing, and you clicked on that suggestion. The scammers have manipulated the search engines to make their bogus site appear before the genuine Roku site. The scammers have been quiet for a bit, but they're recently fired back up with a vengeance. On another site that I moderate, I deleted over 100 bogus emails this morning that were an attempt to manipulate the search engines like this.

Once you were on the bogus site, (which they make look like it's an official Roku site) you entered the link code. Naturally, it failed because they want you to call. They provide a toll free phone number (another thing Roku does not have) and try to con you into paying to link your new device. If their bogus site asked you to log into your Roku user account, they now also have your account email and password, so they can log into the real site. If you pay their bogus fee, they log into the real site and miraculously your device is now linked. Many times they will also change your password and now you have no ability to log into your account without contacting them again. And they charge another fee. 

The first thing to do is immediately log into your Roku account and change the password. If the scammers can log in they can delete your device from your account and you have no way to put it back. And they charge you again.

If anyone has paid money to these scammers, try contacting your credit card company and contest the charge. Because what these companies are doing is illegal, they will usually give you your money back without too much of a hassle. They don't want law enforcement to get involved. However, they are virtually all located somewhere outside the US, so it's almost impossible to do anything to them. Don't be fooled because they claim to be based in California or somewhere else in the US. They aren't. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

Several people have said that a number appeared on their TV, but I think that this is a trick of memory that websites like the one above cause by design or luck.

The normal activation goes: do stuff on Roku, switch to computer/internet, go back to Roku and watch TV.  Roku comes with a dark gradient background with bold white text.  Most of the internet consists of relatively fine black text on white backgrounds.  But the page @Breestar linked to just above also has the phone number in bold white text on a dark gradient background, with a picture of a Roku home screen taking up about half the page. As a result, it no longer surprises me that people's memory plays tricks on them and they think they saw that number on the TV.  Ie: you remember that somewhere in the sequence of Roku, internet, Roku, you saw a bold white phone number on a dark background, so you naturally think that must have been on the Roku part of that process, rather than the brief detour onto the internet.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I totally agree.  I did not have a roku set up yet, so that was in my favor.  And it just didn't make sense that I had to pay money or my TV wouldn't work.  He did get my name, and email.  He said to set up a Roku account.  I don't think I gave him anything else.  I didn't give any credit card information.  Thank you for the information.  Let's me know to be really careful with my information.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Does Roku Charge For Activating A onn. Roku TV?

Jump to solution

I just purchased an onn,  TV from Walmart. In setting the TV up, I had to establish a Roku account. I pay for cable from COMCAST and stream TV through Youtube TV. Will Roku charge me for activating my TV through a Roku account and/or will I be billed monthly by Roku? I called the number provided and the woman who answered did not know. She gave me a phone number to ask Roku questions and I got a recorded message that their is no support due to the situation.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Does Roku Charge For Activating A onn. Roku TV?

Jump to solution

@jjcow 

There is no charge to activate/link a Roku and no monthly fee, but there are plenty of scammers out there that will tell you there is.

I'm confused about this "number provided".  I only know of two activation methods:
Either you're asked for your email address during setup and you receive an activation link via email, or
A code is displayed on your screen and you're told to go to https:/roku.com/link to enter that code

Which method did you see?  Who did this woman supposedly work for?  The only time anyone has mentioned a phone number is when they've ended up on one of the scammer's web sites.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

The same thing just happen to me, just minutes ago for that reason I start searching. I would like to know how to fix the issue, when I enter my code said I need to contact customer support and when I called them they ask me for $

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

@annie74 wrote:

The same thing just happen to me, just minutes ago for that reason I start searching. I would like to know how to fix the issue, when I enter my code said I need to contact customer support and when I called them they ask me for $

There's nothing for you to "fix". You just need to go to the legitimate web site to enter the link code. I won't go into detail again on how they tricked you. You just need to go to https://my.roku.com/link and enter the code there. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 7

Activation Fee?

Jump to solution

I own one Roku streaming media player. I am thinking of purchasing a second one but some reviewers say you have to pay a $30 activation fee in order to use the player. Is this true? If not what if I purchased a third one? Do you ever have to pay a player activation fee to Roku to use a newly purchased player?

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Activation Fee?

Jump to solution

Only people who get scammed pay to activate Rokus.

ie: type the link URL incorrectly, search for it, or take a suggestion from a browser while typing the URL, and you might end up someplace else - which does nothing for you but charge money for something that is free.

The last one I bought emailed me a link to click on so typing the wrong URL wasn't even a possible issue.

0 Kudos