Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Damm roku

Jump to solution

You guys need to do something your costumers are getting ripped off put a warning on your packageing something

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Damm roku

Jump to solution

For what it's worth, my latest one does warn in the user's guide and it also asked for my email address and then emailed a clickable activation link to me.  The one I installed years ago made you type an URL yourself, so I think they have reacted, but there may be enough older ones on the shelves to keep scams going for a while.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: They changed my email address

Jump to solution

@Scastro121 

YOUR WERE RIPPED OFF!  You didn't use the proper link and you ended up on a scammer's web page (don't bother arguing about this).  Ask for your money back, dispute the charge, and cancel the card you gave the scammers.  Factory reset all your Roku devices and do it right this time:

https://my.roku.com/link

0 Kudos

unatuthorized charge

Jump to solution

my tv wouldnt update because of this my channels wouldnt work!Philo wouldnt let me sign in so i called roku and they charged me for phone call without telling me they was!Why?I needed help it happened before what else can u do when there is no place to sign in or wyfi wasnt picking up my text number to sign in thats all they should of told me instead they kept me on the phone actef like it was a big deal i dont understand how else do u find out what to do when u cant do it yourself and they have to help u???? So make sure you ask when you call for help if this keeps up i will have to do something else but for some reason their are problems

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: unatuthorized charge

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you feel that you may have been contacted by a third party entity, we would highly recommend taking a look at our Support page for further assistance here: How do I protect myself from activation and technical support scams?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 7

Roku Activation Scam.

Jump to solution

Why is Roku not changing the   Support Activation method? Why are they not doing due diligence in sidestepping these hackers?  I was hit with a $78.99 debit and now am told the scammer probably also installed malware on the tv and has access to a number of my passwords. I need cancel my card.

I consider Roku as  complicit in our distress.

Barbara, Canada.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Roku Activation Scam.

Jump to solution

@BJ2 wrote:

Why is Roku not changing the   Support Activation method? Why are they not doing due diligence in sidestepping these hackers?  I was hit with a $78.99 debit and now am told the scammer probably also installed malware on the tv and has access to a number of my passwords. I need cancel my card.

I consider Roku as  complicit in our distress.

Barbara, Canada.

No, they didn't install anything on your TV. If you see a channel you don't remember adding, simply highlight the channel icon, click the * button on the remote, and select remove. Now reboot your Roku (not just turning it off and on) and anything you didn't install is gone. If you gave them your Roku account password, try to log in and change it immediately. But having access to your Roku account does not give them access to any of your other passwords. 

Roku has made some changes to the authentication method, but the scammers continue to attempt to intercept your attempt. The problem with a complete change to the current method is that there are tens of thousands of players already in distribution channels, and there's no way to change the way they are set up. The most important thing a user must do for the time being is to never accept the suggested web site your browser offers while typing in the web address. If you type in completely what is shown on the screen, you get the legitimate site. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

99 activation fee fraud

Jump to solution

I purchased the Roku back in June 2020 I was fraudulently charged 99 dollars on my credit card is ridiculous!!I was told because I never used Roku before this is the reason why I have to pay and honestly anyone can fall for this. After all, you need your debit information to purchase or rent some apps! I hope I don't get charged again!! 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support scam ruku

Jump to solution

I had set up my mother's tv up for RUKU and I couldn't get it, so I called the number, they told me i had to PAY for RUKU and got my acct name and password! So now I'm worried if they are going to hack me, they told me I had to pay 100.00 for ruku for one year 200 for 2 years and 300 for gold. I told him I didn't have that kind of money and just planned on using youtube, Disney, and spectrum, the foren man then said My TV will NOT work with OUT paying, that my 6 months was UP and it had to be paid for my TV to work! I told him I'll call back bc this isn't right, he said well let me give you my name an number and I said NO thank YOU, and then knew it was a scam, we got the TV to work for FREE NO paying, but we woke UP this morning and ALL our TVs were re set, but I think they did that so I'd call back and pay the MONEY thinking they canceled my "subscription" sick! Be careful never give OUT info as I did.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Activation or Support scam Roku

Jump to solution

@Linzi wrote:

I had set up my mother's tv up for RUKU and I couldn't get it, so I called the number, they told me i had to PAY for RUKU and got my acct name and password! So now I'm worried if they are going to hack me, they told me I had to pay 100.00 for ruku for one year 200 for 2 years and 300 for gold. I told him I didn't have that kind of money and just planned on using youtube, Disney, and spectrum, the foreign man then said My TV will NOT work with OUT paying, that my 6 months was UP and it had to be paid for my TV to work! I told him I'll call back bc this isn't right, he said well let me give you my name an number and I said NO thank YOU, and then knew it was a scam, we got the TV to work for FREE NO paying, but we woke UP this morning and ALL our TVs were re set, but I think they did that so I'd call back and pay the MONEY thinking they canceled my "subscription" sick! Be careful never give OUT info as I did.

First, congratulations for not paying them. Good job!

If you provided them your account login and password, yes they could have removed your devices from your account. First try to log into your account yourself, and if you can immediately change your password. If you can't log in, I recommend creating a new account, although @RokuDanny-R might be able to assist getting control back. Either way you can now link your devices back onto your account. This requires performing a factory reset for each device to link them back up, so make sure you enter the link web site address exactly as it appears on the screen. All your existing channels will be put back on your devices (assuming you kept your existing account), but you'll have to log back into the ones that require authentication. If you have any subscriptions paid through Roku, and lost control of your existing account,  then you will likely need Danny's assistance to get them either cancelled or moved to your new account.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos