Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Antdestin
Level 8

asked for help and almost got scammed

Jump to solution

InkedScreenshot_20210117-154547_Outlook_LI.jpg

I recently purchased a new device online and immediately realized that my address was incorrect. After many attempts to resolve the issue online, with no success, I received this email. This is obviously a scam attempt and can only come a rep working on or around my case. Please be careful folks there. Fraudsters are everywhere.

trademark
Level 8

Re: Activation fee scam - Suggestion to Roku

Jump to solution

so then after we buy it we are supposed to research it to make sure that we don't get ripped off. even if its a new product from a so called reputable company. Wouldn't it be way easier to put on the box   no activation charge ever  seems like the right thing to do, for your company and the protection of your future users. i guess that to much to ask, unless it's more about not making money from this 3rd party.

0 Kudos
SandmanXX
Level 10

Jump to solution

Read your instruction manual that came with the roku.  Written in plain English it says they don't charge for activation.

(3) Roku Ultras 4670X, Samsung Q8 tv, Samsung NU7100 tv, Plex streaming from NAS
0 Kudos
trademark
Level 8

Jump to solution

written in plain English, seems lithe good side of roku on this.  Why not put it on the box for even dummies like me who maybe have a hard time reading plain English. maybe they can put good luck setting it up if you don't read all instruction before trying to hook it up, or hook up at own risk, or have a warning that these types of scammers are targeting there product, although that might effect the third party income.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 12

Jump to solution

For any product, I would recommend doing "research" before you buy it. Internet forums are full of people complaining that products don't perform as they assumed.  Recently, someone complained here of another issue that was printed right on the Roku box.  And, Roku boxes are tiny – there's only so much that will fit on there, and, let's face it, most of what you'll find on any product box is positive marketing stuff – this has been the case for my entire life.

Today's very connected world makes many scams easier, but that same connectivity makes it easy to learn about products and scams long before you pay any money.  A little time browsing support forums like this before you choose a product can prevent many surprises.

(I put research in quotes because actual researchers might be offended at calling browsing the internet "research". Smiley Very Happy)

0 Kudos
jmg123
Level 7

Activation Scam - Digistreamservices

Jump to solution

I received an error code when trying to set up my Roku, somehow I was directed to a phone number that connected me to a Digital Stream Services sales rep who told me that the only way I could activate my Roku was to pay their company a $69.99 one time activation fee.  I told them I was very surprised that none of the Roku information had indicated that an activation fee was required.  I asked over and over again and also whether or not I could complete the activation online.  They assured me that the only way to activate the device was to pay them this charge.  After giving them my credit card over the phone (and yes I now feel very stupid), it appears they went online and created a Roku account for me (apparently that was all I needed to do to complete the activation) and then gave me the activation code.  They lied to me numerous times during the call when I insisted that an activation fee should not be required.  They also called me back several time so they could assert that they had provided some sort of "service".  They did not provide a service, they sold a service based on misrepresentation and lies.  I should have trusted my instincts and hung up and gone to this website.  I have since contacted Digital Stream Services which appears to be a real company that provides device services and support and requested a refund.  Just thought others should be aware that these fraudulent sales people are out there.  I don't know whether or not this company supports this behavior or not but I wanted other Roku customers to be aware.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Activation Scam - Digistreamservices

Jump to solution

Unfortunately there are many sites that attempt to fool Roku users that a fee is required. You most likely ended up on their web page because of a web search for help with the issue you were having. These scammers have manipulated the search engines to return their site at the top of the search returns, so people naturally will click it first. 

There is no fee to register a Roku to a user account, and Roku does not have any fees of any kind for the user account itself. The Roku packaging states it both on the box and in the information inside. Unfortunately, many people (and I include myself) often don't look that information over closely. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Strega
Level 12

Jump to solution

Yep, as of today, I put roku.com/link into a google search and the top four links had titles like "Roku Link Code Activation - Roku Com Link" and "Enter Your Com Link Code - Setup Your Device Now", but none of those had roku.com URLs.  The way they all work, is you go to any of them, and whatever code you enter gets "something went wrong – call us." These are all up at the top because they are paid ads.

On the other hand, typing the same into bing, my usual search engine, lists roku first and there are only Roku links on the first page.

Telling a liar that you think he's lying doesn't mean a thing to him because lying is his job so he just keeps repeating it or making the lie even bigger and crazier because oddly enough many people fall for bigger lies more than little lies. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yes, I have found Bing (also my default search engine) does a better job of keeping the authentic Roku site higher in the list. Google had fixed it for a while, I'm sure after complaints from Roku. But I too have tested it recently and found the scammers had moved up the list again. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
petraji
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

It happened to me yesterday.  I could not get into Amazon Prime via my Roku although all was well on the computer.  After several tries I was sent to amazon.com/mytv and eventually spoke to someone (Dave) who told me that there were too many 'devices' on my account and in order to continue watching Prime I needed to pay $114 to begin with. We argued back and forth, me telling him that it made no sense, then he went down to about $90 and finally gave me a "senior" fee of $69.99 - which - like a fool - I paid. Miraculously everything worked thereafter.  It was only after speaking to my daughter that my doubts about this whole transaction came to a point.  I called amazon (it was **bleep** to get to finally speak to someone) that told me it was a scam; and I called my credit card company to stop the pay.  For anyone else in similar situation, Amazon never requires payment for service.  The payment went to NEWTECH WEB SERVICES  or NEWTECH PRIME , a web developer.  Anyone else who gets scammed: DO NOT give information of ANY kind. Hang Up and call Amazon.  888 280 4331. What a disgusting way to scam a senior during COVID Pandemic. I had to change all passwords and cancel my card.  Everyone please watch out!

0 Kudos