Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Activation issues

Jump to solution

@ttrue1 wrote:

yesterday i was told twice there was a activation fee to activate my tv.  i told them no and was called names.  he told me listen **bleep** at that point i was done i will return the tv and never by roku tv again.

You were not speaking to anyone affiliated with Roku. You reached a scam site that was trying to extort money from you. Go to this page https://my.roku.com/link and you will successfully link the TV to your Roku account. There is no charge or any sort of fee to do so. See messages higher in this thread for a more detailed explanation what happened. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Re: Roku update charge?

Jump to solution

@Marymo19642000 wrote:

I bought a TV ... it came with Roku ... what a joke !!! After owning the TV for 1 1/2 yrs it does a update and now I have to pay roku 60 **bleep** bucks so my tv will work again  . I went and got a new TV WITHOUT ROKU !!! WHAT A RIL OFF !!! BEWARE ROKU WILL GET YA ... THIEVES 

No, there is no fee. Please explain how you were contacted in this scam attempt. Did you reset your Roku to default, which requires a reactivation? If that's what happened, you didn't reach the legitimate Roku web site to link your TV. Please, we'd like to assist but need details. 

No, I am not a Roku employee. Just someone who understands what may have happened and wants to help.

Dan

0 Kudos
Jezecat1
Level 7

Activation Fee - Scam ????

Jump to solution

I have 5 ROKU TV's at home and no problems.

I bought my granddaughter a new TLC ROKU TV at Walmaret and I took it the their house.  When I attempted to activate the TV I was given a msg. that the TV had been locked out ad to call 844-214-8227.  A man with a heavy dialect answered and tried to sell me an activation fee which included a bunch of stuff I didn't want for $69.99.  When I challenged him he offered a basic plan for $39.99 when I refused he offered the same for $29.99.

He did something to the TV when I provided him the CODE.  Then he said my TV's were all interlinked and if I did not purchaes the PLAN then no TVs would work at my house.

I told the 4th person I spoke to that the box didn't mention anything about an activation fee and I would return the set and if my TVs at home did not work I would contact my state's AG's office.  He said ROKU's policy had changed and no matter Fire Stick or whatever I had to pay this fee.

These are numbers given "ROKURS3128" which is close to a PW I use but not one.  He said I could call him anytime JOHNNY WALKER at 833-474-8004 and he would reset my account password to 12345678.

Another guy I spoke to said his name was Alex Walker and I could call him anytime at same number.

When I arrived home all my current TVs are working but I still have the new set which is NOT activated and I am prepared to take it back to Walmart.

Fact is at this point I am about to cancel all ROKU stuff, throw out all the TLC sets and start over with another provider.  I want to speak with someone at ROKU but can't find an email phone number or address - can anyone help me here?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Re Roku Scam for activation fees.

Jump to solution
@Jdeen wrote:

The address I used was https://myroku.com/link at which time I was able to complete activation without calling the scammers.

My suggestion is not to use the address (roku.com/link) which comes up on the TV screen when activation. The Quickstart instructions DO NOT provide the correct address and the software created by ROKU sends you right to the scammers. However, using duckduckgo and the address of https://myroku.com/link works with out the interference of the scammers.  Now after all of this I am very concerned about the performance the th ROKU Stick +. havingit plugged into the TV USB,

I hope this helps someone to prevent the scammers from exactly where ROKU sends you in the on Screen prompts which actually assist the ROKU Scam for activation fees.  Roku provides the sight to get picked off by the Scammers of their activation process. 

@Jdeensays to use myroku.com to link a Roku device.   This is NOT correct.  The correct domain is my.roku.com with a period between the my and roku.   I am hoping this is just a typographical error and not a deliberate attempt to mislead.

myroku.com/link  (the one without the period) takes you to a password protected site where you have to provide a username and password to enter, at least that's what it does for me.  It is on IP 64.202.189.170.  Further, this site is unsecured (i.e. can only connect via http, not https). 

my.roku.com/link (WITH the period) takes you to an actual Roku page on Roku's normal IP of 13.225.65.125, the same IP as the rest of the Roku site.  All pages on the Roku site are secure and can be accessed via https.  This is the same page that the roku.com/link address your Roku tells you to enter SHOULD automatically redirect you to.   If you are taken anywhere other than my.roku.com/link, then you have a problem somewhere -- don't enter anything or follow any directions you find there.  Back out and try again.

If you're using a computer that's taking you to the wrong site, but also have a smart phone with a data connection, try using the phone.  Turn off the phone's wifi to make sure it's using the data connection only, and try going to https://my.roku.com/link.

If your system insists on taking you somewhere other than my.roku.com/link when that's what you enter, you have a problem at your end.  There are a number of things that can affect this, but I'd start with talking to my internet provider.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Gabby9192
Level 7

Set-up Scam still alive and well...

Jump to solution

Just a warning for anyone setting up a new Roku.  When my code didn’t work I was instructed to call support.  It seemed legit so I made the call and in fact my Tv began to update channels and things were working.  Unfortunately, the heavily accented person on the phone began to tell me everything I was getting with my new account for free...but of course there was that pesky $100 fee ... Thankfully, while I was unaware of this particular scam, I did know the Roku activation is free so I promptly hung up.  
Just be aware it’s still happening. 

0 Kudos
twesa
Level 8

I will never buy Ruko device again, got scammed, can't speak or email anyone at Roku

Jump to solution

I got scammed when set up my new RUKO TV, my activation code didn't work, put in www.ruko.com link took me to con artists such as American InfoSpace LLC, who stole $146 Canadian from me for a 'lifetime Ruko Account.  The address for America InfoSpace is an apartment building in Maryland USA.  Phone number on website 306 443 402 4144 system answer service, never returned call nor answer.  Other scam numbers involved 1888 601 0575 and 1866 918 2111.  I emailed an email for Ruko  customer.advocate@roku.com  no bounce back, no response.  I am unable to get an agent on phone or online or on email.   Nothing.   I have to prove to my bank that Roku doesn't charge for memberships and I can't because Roku does not communicate in any way with their customers.  I am then successful in my dispute with this crooks.

Worse decision I ever make was buying a Ruko device, zero help, and links to criminals.  Awful. If there was a rating system I was them -1,000,0000.   I am devastated at I was duped into a well organized group of crooks who steal your money.   I would recommend running over rust spikes in a firepit before I would ever by Ruko again.  Simple they do not speak or even type on word their 'victims'.  

Justtus6
Level 7

Re: I will never buy Ruko device again, got scammed, can't speak or email anyone at Roku

Jump to solution

Seriously am hating this service and Tv. I cannot seem to ever get anything I want to watch to come on. Weird errors that I have no idea what they mean. Just really frustrating! Shouldn’t be this fuggin hard to watch nbc ! 

0 Kudos
UnhappywithRaku
Level 7

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

Why is Roku  not doing anything about this scam? They keep repeating the "we never charge" mantra, but as far as I can see Roku has done nothing to remove the lack of security in the free sign-in process. We cannot access Roku without the block on the sign-in process by the extortionists. We cannot access any Roku service or access Netflix without the demand for $200. We returned the new Roku "friendly" TV for a refund based on the continuing hack which Roku has failed to block.

Van King

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

@UnhappywithRaku wrote:

Why is Roku  not doing anything about this scam? They keep repeating the "we never charge" mantra, but as far as I can see Roku has done nothing to remove the lack of security in the free sign-in process. We cannot access Roku without the block on the sign-in process by the extortionists. We cannot access any Roku service or access Netflix without the demand for $200. We returned the new Roku "friendly" TV for a refund based on the continuing hack which Roku has failed to block.

Roku has done several things, and one is to get the word out better that there is no charge. But since these scammers are located off-shore (not within US control) there's nothing they can legally do against the scammers themselves. As to what internal changes they're making, we don't know and likely never will, since that's proprietary security information. 

Dan

0 Kudos
TashaJensen
Level 7

$99 for premium account

Jump to solution

So when I created an account and went to sign up I got a missed call from a number I didn’t recognize. So I didn’t answer. Well then they texted me and said we are trying to setup your account let us know when a good time for you is. So I texted back and said now is a good time. So they called me back and gave me my code off my tv and said ok let’s finish setting it up. They said if I wanted I could purchase ROKU Premium for a one time fee of $99 and it would give me access to all the apps for free. So I purchased it and they said they would email me or could text me with all the info and I never got an email or a text. I got an email from ROKU that was a receipt for the $99 but now I’m wondering if it was a scam because I can’t get ahold of them. Does anyone know?

0 Kudos