Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjhatten
Level 9

Re: Re Roku Scam for activation fees.

Jump to solution

I have been monitoring traffic on this subject for a while and what comes through loud and clear is that most of the victims fail to understand how the World Wide Web and Search Engines work.  (I'm not putting you down.  I almost got caught it myself.)

The registration process for ROKU players is accessed through a web site.  That site is roku.com/link.  Anything that is even slightly different than that address is a different site and could be made to look a lot like the legitimate site but is not.  If you have been tricked into going to a different site they can fool you into giving them payment information and authorizing payment even though they do nothing for you.

Most browsers use search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) to look up potential addresses for you and auto fill them for you so you don't have to type so much.  If the search engine autofills an incorrect address and you don't correct it, you can end up going to a fake site even though you think you have done the right thing.  This is done by the search engine.  Nothing Roku does makes this happen.  It's a result of the search engine's algorithm.  Your only defense is diligently typing in the right full address in the first place.

The scam is a "man-in-the-middle" attack.  They collect your activation code instead of Roku.  They demand payment and, if you pay them, they will impersonate you and forward it to Roku so your service turns on.  You don't even know you've been scammed.  They back it up with a fake support phone number that goes to their call center where they read a script to convince you to pay if you hesitate.  (I got this far before the scam alarm in my head went off.)    In addition, they ask for your username and password that, if you give it to them, they can use to change your password and lock you out of your account until you pay them. Roku has no way of knowing they are impersonating you.  Because you have given them the activation code and/or your username and password, Roku thinks they are legit.

The problem is the search engine.  The scammers succeed because they fooled the Google and Microsoft search engines to fill their address in instead of the legitimate address.  Users shouldn't have to be security experts to keep from being fooled.  Roku needs to raise the issue with the search engines until they fix the algorithm and stop bad addresses from being auto filled.

Mddehave
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

So how do i activate it now im being told its over 100 bollars

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mddehave wrote:

So how do i activate it now im being told its over 100 bollars

You ensure you go to the correct, legitimate Roku web site to enter your link code. That web site is https://my.roku.com/link There is no cost to do so. You do need your Roku account password to get into the site if you're not already logged in.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SandmanXX
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Jdeen wrote:

I posted a detailed post that I used the manual to activate and ended up getting a message to call the number that was the thieves.

* Here is where you messed up, in the way you got to this point, not roku.  I am thinking that you unfortunately did not type in the whole, exact website address, totally ignoring the suggestions your browser threw at you while you type, and one click, and away you go away from roku and into the scammers den.  At this point is where roku has no control, no liability, and no blame.  Period.

I gat a similar message this morning with the same number on my I phone. Roku would not post the second detailed report  so it is obvious that they are complicit in

*  Not really that obvious.  No idea so far .

this activity and probably part of it

* Wait, WHAT?  A former law officer and you -assume-?  

with foreign manufacturers or assoc to scam (Steal) twice the cost of the device. Thieves are using a back door to invade customers PC's and strong-arm them to pay activation fees.

* No, that's all your fault.  If you do not protect your pc properly, how In the world is that rokus fault.  You just totally exonerated them. 

ROKU is COMPLICIT and part of the Scam in my opinion. ROKU has my number to call me I will not call any numbers from customer support. I have no other alternative but to pursue criminal or civil charges. 

* Good luck with that, as so far you offer obviousness that is not there, assumptions, and even your opinion.  I'm beginning to doubt the former law person part, as you conjecture on here that you have a criminal or civil case, and based on your posts, here, you exonerated the party you claimed injured you.  Injury IS part of a criminal or civil case, correct, law person?  Yet you can not prove, much less beyond the shadow of a doubt, that roku is to blame or is even a part of some devious ring of thieves.  

There is such a thing as libel, you know.

So, just calm down, realize that roku cannot protect you from yourself anymore than a red light physically makes you stop, and heed the advice given here to try and protect your situation.  Simple as that.

(3) Roku Ultras 4670X, Samsung Q8 tv, Samsung NU7100 tv, Plex streaming from NAS
0 Kudos
barb013
Level 8

Jump to solution

Why do you continue to attack people's intelligence like you were there and know what happened. The phone number came on my screen with a message on the tv to call the scam number, I hear a lot of people insulting people instead of admitting there is a problem. The only way I got my TV activated was by searching google and doing it online side stepping the thieves.

0 Kudos
Texaslady59
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm happy to hear from you I've done nothing wrong all I done is call the number that showed up on my TV screen I didn't go to any website so I called the number 2095000893 or 8882508696 both of these numbers belong to him Alex by the way him and another so called tech doesn't work for Roku company. I call this a scam. I'm sure Roku company does know what's going on. I'm no holding Roku accountable for this it's the person who screwed me over this problem. Have a great day.

0 Kudos
Jdeen
Level 8

Jump to solution

My problem is with the activation part of ROKU which comes in the on screen instructions in the set up of activation.. After getting a number of suggestions and everybody blaming google Apple and other browsers I again made another attempt to activate the ROKU stick. On the TV display, it directed you to go to ROKU.com/link.  That is exactly the link that took me directly to the scammers when I used it on my I Phone. This time I used my laptop and took it to the Living room where I have a swinging Hang mount that can be viewed in LR and Dining room. I used an address provided by the blog and used duckduckgo browser. The address I used was https://myroku.com/link at which time I was able to complete activation without calling the scammers. I missed the part about what type of TV I had so the roku remote will not power on or off the TV. My old roku at least done that. When I was downloading the programming I had to add on FUBO TV to which I subscribe. I did not click on anyfree trials for HULU or NETFLIX and CBS action? but yet they were all downloaded. I hope I do not get charged for them I had plugged the USB into the TV as directed and at the beginning of set up it came up as roku/lowpower. After awhile It came up again. I later checked for the solutions of low power and the instructions advised to use another port on TV and I did try that which seem to help some. I will see how it performs but as of now the remote only controls ROKU and bothering as for as power to TV or volume etc.

This device was advertised to be used for hanging wall mounts yet when plugging it to TV low power appears. It only comes with an approx 2 ft extension for an from the nearest outlet outlet. My distance is approx 11 ft to the nearest outlet. If roku does not manufacture hardware that works off of a USB TV connection they should not advertise same. 

My suggestion is not to use the address (roku.com/link) which comes up on the TV screen when activation. The Quickstart instructions DO NOT provide the correct address and the software created by ROKU sends you right to the scammers. However, using duckduckgo and the address of https://myroku.com/link works with out the interference of the scammers.  Now after all of this I am very concerned about the performance the th ROKU Stick +. havingit plugged into the TV USB,

I hope this helps someone to prevent the scammers from exactly where ROKU sends you in the on Screen prompts which actually assist the ROKU Scam for activation fees.  Roku provides the sight to get picked off by the Scammers of their activation process. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jdeen , I can understand your frustration. I do wish that Roku included the complete URL on that screen display, including the HTTPS. Because they don't include the my. in front of roku.com/link I believe leads to some of the confusion. 

In theory the Stick should be able to run from the TV's USB connection, but many TVs don't seem to provide enough current in that port. The USB 2.0 spec is only 500 mA, and some TVs don't even provide that. My suggestion is to use an HDMI extension cable and move the Roku out from behind the TV. You have less chance of RFI from the TV interfering with the Roku wireless connection, it will stay cooler away from the TV, and you can place it closer to a wall power outlet. 

You shouldn't worry about being charged for a service simply because you've installed the channel. To activate any of the trials or subscriptions you have to actively do something to create the account. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Marymo19642000
Level 7

Roku update charge?

Jump to solution

I bought a TV ... it came with Roku ... what a joke !!! After owning the TV for 1 1/2 yrs it does a update and now I have to pay roku 60 **bleep** bucks so my tv will work again  . I went and got a new TV WITHOUT ROKU !!! WHAT A RIL OFF !!! BEWARE ROKU WILL GET YA ... THIEVES 

0 Kudos
ttrue1
Level 7

Re: Activation issues

Jump to solution

yesterday i was told twice there was a activation fee to activate my tv.  i told them no and was called names.  he told me listen **bleep** at that point i was done i will return the tv and never by roku tv again.

0 Kudos