Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

Good luck, but while I hate defending Roku, this is completely your fault.  You didn't follow the instructions as you were told to go to a website yet you searched for a website.  Roku has no control over what shows up on your iPhone.  You'd be better off going after Apple as it's their stupid browser that led you to the scammers.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jdeen
Level 8

Jump to solution

Good try the web site even stated my broadband connection was down to turn off my router and restart it. Other devices and web sites responded to inquiries. It was just a way to get rid of me. I restarted my router and was able to reconnect to the community which you rudely disconnected me from. I AM BACK. Is there any support for ROKU or just bots? Oh second thought, you emailed me and also sent a message to my phone renojim. Renojim on the blog must actually work for ROKU you must have my email which is in my ROKU account. Now you are going to try to blame me and it was my fault so go after apple phone for the scam of Support scam and fraud. that ROKU is complicit with and probably part of. Why don't you try to help solve the problem instead of blaming others. You sound Like Biden.  If you have my e-mail you must actually work for ROKU unless you have given access of customers' accounts to the activation scammers. I did not give the scammer any personal info on the phone # I called which came up on the screen to activate. 

0 Kudos
Mddehave
Level 7

Does roku charge me for activation wont activate my roku unless i pay them 59.95 whf

Jump to solution

Does roku charge me for activation these assh... Wont activate my roku unless i pay 59.95 i dont have a credit card

0 Kudos
Jdeen
Level 8

Jump to solution

Renojim,    Since you have my e-mail you must have access to MY account or do in fact work for ROKU why do you not give me an answer on how to connect my new device. I have a device I bought in the shop that I tried to connect and it runs so slow it's pathetic. That was supposed to be the best at the time but did not work as well as my old ones. So I ended up just watching Ant TV out there.  Any answers or just deflecting the problem to me or another Tech Company?

0 Kudos
Texaslady59
Level 7

Jump to solution

I didn't give out your broadband info just your name and number you've given me to activate my MY ROKU THAT STILL DOESN'T WORK. YOU SCAMMED ME OUT OF $89.00 YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF KNOWING HOW DISHONEST YOU ARE so I don't understand why you would text me maybe you have something to hide or feel guilty about? 1 QUESTION: HOW CAN YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING YOU SCAMMED ME AND OTHERS who are honest and trusting people instead you like to take advantage of. It would be nice if roku would help. Have a great day 

0 Kudos
Jdeen
Level 8

Re: Re Roku Scam for activation fees.

Jump to solution

All of my TV's are hard-wired to the internet. In fact, I ran a second cable to the Roku units in the house and directly connected them also. I have very fast service and can normally stream 2 TV/s and my Desktop at the same time. without any issues.  The Roku streaming stick +  I just purchased did not have a Cat 5 input , however, when I connected it to the TV it indicated it was hard-wired and WIFI connected. Are you just trying to sell more expensive or alternate devices. . About a year ago I purchased a ROKU for the shop that was suppose to be the very latest. That TV also hangs on wall but I can not get it to work at all. It was suppose to have a better remote / If unit can not stream . That one is useless!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I'm sorry, but you are listening to what is being explained. Neither myself nor @renojim are Roku employees. We are simply fellow users with a significant amount of experience using Roku devices and helping other users. 

When you begin typing the web address that is displayed on the TV screen to link your new device, your web browser (doesn't matter which one, they all do it) offers suggested sites that their algorithm feels will match what you have begun typing. Because the criminals (scammers) have manipulated the search engines, their phony site is suggested before the legitimate Roku web site. If the person accepts that suggestion (and unfortunately many do), they go to the phony site, which naturally will fail to authenticate the code entered. It then offers a phone number for you to call for assistance. And that is where the scammer/criminal has you. They give you the phony song and dance about a "new" charge which is completely wrong and untrue. They get you to give them your Roku account access information (user name and password), then log into your account on the real site and can complete the registration for you (after you pay their fee). Very often they will change the password on your Roku account and you have lost complete control of the account.

Roku has done everything they can do to prevent this, short of a complete re-write of their entire registration system. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't trying something like that now. They have included inserts in new products, added warnings on screen, and I have no doubt they are trying to get the search engines to assist. But they have no control over the search engines. 

Blaming Roku for criminal activity perpetuated by others, most likely not even located within the US, just isn't accurate. The proper term for Roku is victim. They are suffering massive public backlash over something they cannot control. Yes, I'm sure they will continue working to eliminate the ability of these scammers. But it will likely take time. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Re Roku Scam for activation fees.

Jump to solution

@Jdeen wrote:

All of my TV's are hard-wired to the internet. In fact, I ran a second cable to the Roku units in the house and directly connected them also. I have very fast service and can normally stream 2 TV/s and my Desktop at the same time. without any issues.  The Roku streaming stick +  I just purchased did not have a Cat 5 input , however, when I connected it to the TV it indicated it was hard-wired and WIFI connected. Are you just trying to sell more expensive or alternate devices. . About a year ago I purchased a ROKU for the shop that was suppose to be the very latest. That TV also hangs on wall but I can not get it to work at all. It was suppose to have a better remote / If unit can not stream . That one is useless!!!

The Roku Stick has never had a wired option. It has always been WiFi only. It's also the only current Roku (other than the Ultra) that comes with a WiFi Direct remote that doesn't rely on on IR for functionality.

If you have an issue with a Roku TV, you need to talk with the manufacturer of the TV. Roku does not make the TVs, they only supply the operating system. So hardware issues are handled by the manufacturer. But if you describe what the problem is with the TV perhaps we can offer some advice. 

Dan

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Texaslady59 @Mddehave 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tedh2
Level 7

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Yeah it happened  to me .. middle east people trying to scam I almost have them $99 but then I decided  to Google about this . Sure enough just like of the other post I read 

. The same stuff going on I've contacted  the local fox news . Have heard back from them.. so pass the word through social media  .. before they do this to other people.. 

0 Kudos