Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 21

Re: Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

@Lucinda wrote:

This same exact thing just an hour ago 

first he was charging me $99.99 I refused then he could reduce rate to $59.99 for a one time activation fee since he showed I had no account !!! Which was wrong! This is outrageous way to conduct business Who or how do I take this farther? Some poor people out there are probably giving credit card info and paying for a FREE product!


This isn't Roku conducting business. They are scammers who have manipulated the search engines to make their bogus site appear while you were typing in the web address. Google is far worse for it than Bing. 

Roku is doing what they can, but these scammers are located out of the country, and there's little Roku can do legally. All they can do is try to ensure everyone understands that there's no payment involved. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

The very same thing happened to me exactly how you explained it, Dave

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

I was also scammed yesterday. I tried to activate a new device and was directed to a phone number to repair my software.  I ended up giving them $99.00 to register as a ROKU  customer. Before I called the number I went to the ROKU site to try to find a phone number to verify that this was necessary. Without help from ROKU I called the number and paid the fee.  

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

@BondGuy wrote:

I was also scammed yesterday. I tried to activate a new device and was directed to a phone number to repair my software.  I ended up giving them $99.00 to register as a ROKU  customer. Before I called the number I went to the ROKU site to try to find a phone number to verify that this was necessary. Without help from ROKU I called the number and paid the fee.  


There should have been something in the box stating there was no charge. The problem is you weren't on the legitimate Roku web site. The scammers have manipulated the search engines and people accept the suggestion as they're typing in the address. 

You need to immediately contest the charge on your credit card, and log into your Roku user account (https://my.roku.com) and change the password. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Re: Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

So roku activation is free coz they trying to charge money on my new roku tv


@Lucinda wrote:

This same exact thing just an hour ago 

first he was charging me $99.99 I refused then he could reduce rate to $59.99 for a one time activation fee since he showed I had no account !!! Which was wrong! This is outrageous way to conduct business Who or how do I take this farther? Some poor people out there are probably giving credit card info and paying for a FREE product!


 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

@MALDONADOARMAND wrote:

So roku activation is free coz they trying to charge money on my new roku tv




That is correct. There is no fee for activation, a Roku account, adding additional devices, nothing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Be careful when setting up new roku express.

Jump to solution

I was quoted $89.00 one-time setup fee I felt l was pressured to pay for this package of 400 channels even Showtime anytime that I can't activate with my new unit. The unit works but not 400 channels especially Showtime anytime. I don't know how to get my money back. People be careful when speaking to an agent setting your Roku units.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Support Activation Scam Fraud

Jump to solution

Another company to be aware of "Instaglobe Solutions LLC".  They want to charge $50 for 5 years or $80 for lifetime and unlimited devices.  Do not use this company.  One of their phone number is 1 (833) 544-4144.  

0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

Instaglobe Solutions LLC is another company doing the same thing. Their phone number is 1 (833) 544-4144.  Fast talking thieves. Don't fall for it.  Report them to BBB, 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting me know about your experience I thought this only happened to me.

0 Kudos