Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Support Activation Scam Fraud

Jump to solution

@EQMC, apparently you were scammed multiple times.

@EQMC wrote:
  1. How can these people access Rokus Platform?

They aren't accessing anything other than Roku's website. They know how to actually use a browser and access the real Roku site. Obviously there are many people that don't know the first thing about URLs.

• How can they change passwords?

Once they set up an account (using the real Roku site) they can do anything they want. There's no magic here.

• How can they activate and deactivate Roku Devices?
See above
What else can you do at Roku to help the customers be able to anticipate Scams and Fraud?

If Apple, Google, and Microsoft have done absolutely nothing to teach people how to use the Internet do you really think Roku can?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

roku account 99.99 error

Jump to solution

hi there I just purchased roku. When setting up roku on my TV it tells me to go online to roku.com/link and type in a code. I typed in the code and it gave me an error message Nd told me to call a number. The guy I was talking to said I needed to pay 79.99 for 5 year service. I gave him my card information. Is this a scam? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku phone

Jump to solution

Stop saying thanks and telling us u don't charge for activations,we know that.How the f@$#! Do we get pass this **bleep** as soon as trying to get the tv going from right out the box?I'm about to make a viral video of this **bleep** and tell everyone not to buy a **bleep** Roku tv.What is the solution?Get these towel head mofo off your system!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Type the URL out correctly and you won't have any issues

https://my.roku.com/link

see that link, it's supposed to look like that!

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Userfrustrated wrote:

Stop saying thanks and telling us u don't charge for activations,we know that.How the f@$#! Do we get pass this **bleep** as soon as trying to get the tv going from right out the box?I'm about to make a viral video of this **bleep** and tell everyone not to buy a **bleep** Roku tv.What is the solution?Get these towel head mofo off your system!

Make a video so we can all tell you exactly what you did wrong.  Stop blaming Roku for your own shortcomings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: roku account 99.99 error

Jump to solution

@Melissal89 wrote:

hi there I just purchased roku. When setting up roku on my TV it tells me to go online to roku.com/link and type in a code. I typed in the code and it gave me an error message Nd told me to call a number. The guy I was talking to said I needed to pay 79.99 for 5 year service. I gave him my card information. Is this a scam? 

Because you didn't go to https://my.roku.com/link. When you start typing that into your browser, the helpful search engines provide suggested sites that match what you're typing. But the scammers have manipulated the search engines to make their sites appear to be what you want, so you accept the suggestion. 

Yes, you were scammed. First, log into your Roku account and immediately change the password if you can. They might have already do so and locked you out, or they may have created a bogus account that you can't access to link your device. Then call them back and demand an immediate refund, as you know what they did was illegal. In some cases, they have refunded so they can continue scamming other users. If they refuse, then call your credit card issuer and contest the charge. They are supposed to help you, but I've heard a couple of users say they bank said they can't do that. Baloney, they certainly can. Then watch your CC for bogus charges, and consider closing that card and getting a new one. Again, the credit card companies should be happy to help you block illegal activity, as it usually costs them much more.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

Tried to activate my roku streaming stick that i hadn't had connected in a while- called the number as it failed.  got the support person and they needed my login and password and they could see my account.  I have since logged out of it all and changed my payment method and my password.  I'm worried now that they have my payment method.  They tried to tell me that i would have to pay 50 for registering my account which is something new for customers.. and I said no, that it says on the screen no charge for activation or support.  He said this is something new that all accounts need to be registered to get updates.  i refused and asked to talk to supervisor.  They said they would call me back and I said no, and he tried again and i got frustrated and hung up.  I then was able to login and link the stick to my account (for free) and then i found there is lots of this going on from googling the issue. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation failed called number and they tried to get me to pay a fee

Jump to solution

This same exact thing just an hour ago 

first he was charging me $99.99 I refused then he could reduce rate to $59.99 for a one time activation fee since he showed I had no account !!! Which was wrong! This is outrageous way to conduct business Who or how do I take this farther? Some poor people out there are probably giving credit card info and paying for a FREE product!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

Same happened to me and I couldn’t find a way around it. The “agent” said it’s a one time fee for 5 years and then I was able to go through the activation screen and use my Tv. Who do I call to vertify all this process/ get my money back and report this ?!! Hep thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

I was charged $80 to set up

my sound bar. A foreign person told me that it was not for setting up

the bar but to enable me to

add more devices to my account. 

0 Kudos