Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Activation Fee

Jump to solution

Hi there!

It's a scam, and a disappointingly common one these days. The device should give you a code to enter at the website, not an error code. It sounds like someone might've sold you a compromised device.

Level 7

Jump to solution

I did actually follow the exact instructions. It was the message on my tv screen stating the code didn’t work & to call support.  I’m returning the Roku, very disappointed.  I had hoped to cut the tie with cable but think this just isn’t for me. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Onetime Payment

Jump to solution

A requiring payment got chaged twice

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Speaking to a live agent!

Jump to solution

I was trying to activate a device, activation got denied, prompted to call a number, called, I was told that there is a limit on devices and that I need to pay a subscription fee for a life time or a five year period. I knew something did not sound right, but fell for it anyways, I was charged $169.00 and it sounds like it's a scam!!!! please confirm??

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Speaking to a live agent!

Jump to solution

You were scammed, Roku does not charge activation fees!

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@ALTC wrote:

I did actually follow the exact instructions. It was the message on my tv screen stating the code didn’t work & to call support.  I’m returning the Roku, very disappointed.  I had hoped to cut the tie with cable but think this just isn’t for me. 

Reaching the scam site was not the fault of Roku. The scammers have manipulated the search engines (especially Google) and make their site appear higher in the browser recommendations. Unfortunately, you used the suggestion instead of typing the complete URL. Don't feel bad, many people do the same thing.

First, try calling them back, telling them you know they scammed you and insist on refunding any money you paid. That has worked for some people, because they know what they're doing is illegal and don't want to stir up trouble. If they won't, then call your bank and contest the charge on your credit card. 

If you want to continue with your Roku, log into your Roku user account (https://my.roku.com) and make sure the scammers haven't locked you out. If you can get it, change your password immediately. Now its safe from the scammers, and they can't do anything to your TV through your account. 

EDIT: Ok, I see you haven't paid them anything, so they don't have access to your account and your TV is safe. If you want to try the Roku again, there's a recessed reset button somewhere on the back of the set. Hold that button for a minimum of 30 seconds, and you can go through the setup again. This time, make sure you go to https://my.roku.com/link to activate the device. No, there is no charge for registering your device, and there's no such thing as "premium" user accounts. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 18

Jump to solution

You people that buy Roku's on Ebay or second hand or refurbished or on Flunky.com

its Buyer Beware.

I suggest you get better DNS servers as well..

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Roku activation charge

Jump to solution

I was charged a $69.99 one time charge to activate my Roku account. There is absolutely no mention of a one time $69.99 charge to activate your account in the support/help section of the Roku app or website. Therefore, why was I charged $69.99 to activate my account by Roku?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Support charge?

Jump to solution

I tried to activate a device last night, i received an error message that the device was locked and wouldn't except the code and needed to call support. the support person said i wasn't registered and need to pay a 1 time fee $ 219.99 for lifetime access. Why and i want the founds credit back to my account 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Support charge?

Jump to solution

You got scammed!  Roku doesn't have your money.  Call them back and tell them you know it was a scam.  Sometimes that works.  Otherwise dispute the charge with your bank/credit card and probably cancel that card.

0 Kudos