Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Trouble with setup

Jump to solution

I think it help others if we identify companies that are doing this.  Maybe members can post company names, url, phone number to make it visible and easier to avoid

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Karmagedon wrote:

I think it help others if we identify companies that are doing this.  Maybe members can post company names, url, phone number to make it visible and easier to avoid

The problem with posting URLs and phone numbers is that the search engine bots might pick them up here and actually boost their rating in the returns. I'd rather not give them any assistance. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Why did roku charge me $200.00 for lifetime support

Jump to solution

Are you sure the number "popped up on (your) tv" and not on some "support" site you went to on your computer? 

It sounds like you stumbled into one of several official-looking bogus Roku support sites run by scammers to get your information so they can apply bogus charges.  There's no such thing as a Roku lifetime service charge - Roku service may not always be the best but at least they don't charge for it.

You should immediately contest these charges with your credit card company and get them reversed.  They can trace the charge back to its origin and they'll find it didn't come from Roku at all.  Since your card has now been compromised you should have it canceled and a new one issued.

Unless you gave the scammers your email address and password to your Roku account at https://my.roku.com your account is probably okay, but just to be sure, I'd suggest logging in there and changing your password.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Perhaps if someone maintained the list as a posted image and routinely updated it etc, it might be useful assuming it could/would stay relatively recent/at the top of the list (pinned/stickied posting functionality sure would be useful...)

Otherwise Roku needs to be more aggressive with Google/etc about their filters/results, and also being more proactive about changing their activation process/alerting product owners in different ways (outside of packaging, warning inserts, on-screen during setup, etc).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Activation fee?

Jump to solution

When I went to activate my Roku Express device yesterday, I was given an error with network problem. It said I should call the support department to finish the activation. If I didn't I could damage the device. When I talked to the support department guy he wanted to charge me a $99 activation fee. Said it had something to do with increased security on their server. When I told him I would not pay the fee, he offered to reduce it to $39. I held firm and told him if he didn't activate it for free I was going to return the device and contact corporate. He then asked if I believed in magic. My device was then activated with no charge. I can't believe I was being scammed by a Roku support person!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Activation fee?

Jump to solution

@Ziggymon wrote:

I can't believe I was being scammed by a Roku support person!!!

You weren't.  Somehow you managed to connect to a scammer's site when attempting to link your Roku, which then told you to call the scammer's phone number.  One common means of reaching the scam site is via mistyping the roku.com/link address you are trying to go to.  Another is by entering the address in a search field in your browser instead of an address input field, resulting in a screen of search results, some of which are often scam sites.

Congratulations on not falling for the scam.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

But the scammer activated my Roku device! What does that mean now? Does the scammer now have total control of the device?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

I'd be more worried about him having your credit card information.  He activated your account by using the site you were supposed to use.  What does the email address say under Settings->About?  Is it yours or some generic looking email address?  If it's yours, go to https://my.roku.com (<-- click on that so there are no mistakes!) and change your password.  If it were me, I'd cancel that credit card (and dispute the charge as it was fraud).  If the email address isn't yours, perform a factory reset and this time go to https://roku.com/link when you set it up.

Highlighted
Level 7

Customer support

Jump to solution

My daughter tried setting up her new roku tv and was on the roku website asking for help. Someone contacted her saying she had to pay to set it up. i can't seem to find a way to talk to anyone from customer service to find out why they charged her. The number on the website isn't working.  How does anyone get in touch with them? I have tried everything 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Customer support

Jump to solution

Your daughter doesn't know how to work a web browser and wound up on a scam site.  If she gave them her credit card information she should immediately dispute the charge and cancel her card.  Roku does not have her money; some scam artist does.