Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Fraud - Activation Scam Un Masked

Jump to solution

@barb013 wrote:

I am a 68 year old woman with Parkinsons and was delighted when I bought my Roku. Trying to activate it I got an error message and a number to call. When I called they said they set up an account but it would be 99.00 for 3 years. I had a funny feeling and I hung up-he called me 5 times but I didn't pick up, Then I called again and the same thing happened. I told him it was free as stated on the screen but he insisted it was a one time fee. I said I didn't want it and I wanted to return my TV to just normal but he said it couldn't be done. I googled setting up the TV and luckily I came upon sites for activation without a credit card number. This is horrible. Treating people like this. It is on the set up screen so it has to be from Roku??

Are you saying the phone number to call was on the screen, or did it have a web link and you typed it into a web browser? We have never had a confirmation from anyone that the phone number was actually on screen. Unfortunately, these scammers have really gotten good at tricking people into thinking they are Roku. I can assure you they were NOT Roku employees. As you saw on the screen, Roku does not charge for user accounts, nor to register the device to your account.

I'm glad you were able to get it set up, but it is really dangerous to use a web search for assistance, as that is another way the scammers try to get you. It sounds like you fortunately found a legitimate help page, and now you can enjoy your Roku. Good job being suspicious of the scam and not giving them any payment. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

I don't understand all these people claiming that they were presented with a phone # to call for activation, but never specifying WHERE they saw the #, even when asked to clarify!  It's actually getting frustrating, and it makes me wonder if any of these complaints are even real.  If they ARE real, PLEASE answer the questions about where the phone # is coming from!

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

When you set up the tv. It says you need to call the number, ON THE SCREEN. Why don't you understand that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

I call B/S on most of these claims. Have yet to seen any proof that this came up during setup on the TV screen. I have setup many Roku's for people and have never got any kind of errors during the setup, but then again i follow the directions.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ok are you for real man? Well my claim was very real I’m sorry to say 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just ask yourself one simple question. Why did the onscreen code not work in the first place? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Did I call customer service?

Jump to solution

call Roku customer service to set up my Roku so I can watch TV streaming apps already owned they still tried to sell me on buying the streaming apps again with them and I said no I already own them I just want to get in to access the ones I paid for already & it be dumb for me to buy them twice and they justhjust up on me being very rude and this was the supervisor 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Customer service sucks

Jump to solution

So since you already paid for these Channels, Presumably on a Roku account.

Why dont you just pair it to that account  https://my.roku.com/signin

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I don't have it through them I have everything they're trying to make me buy through the individual provider they refuse how to unlock the Roku stick until I pay over $100 for the stuff I already have they just want me to buy it through them they don't care that I already own the apps through the provider's themself they said well if you want to unlock the Roku you have to buy it through us 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

Um... I don't think you were talking to Roku.  Did you do some kind of web search for a phone number?  Roku doesn't have a phone number and it doesn't cost anything to activate a Roku device.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is trying to scam you.

0 Kudos