Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

I just cannot come up with a technical explanation on how a scammer can get their bogus info onto the TV screen. I can only think of them hacking the Internet DNS servers to redirect the authentication to their servers. But that really requires a huge effort, and doesn't seem like something scammers could make pay off in the end. It would take a lot of reverse engineering the online authentication procedure. Seems like a lot of time and money to invest for an uncertain return. 

Now, I can completely understand someone typing what they thought was the correct URL and ending up on a bad site. But I have to accept that people are reporting the bogus phone number directly on their display. And I have no idea how they're doing that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

@Iamking1 wrote:

Danny, this just happen to us. Our TV wouldnt accept our internet code to be used. We called the #it gave on the TV screen. They said, they changed policy as of jan 2020, (we bought ours dec 2019) said "For life time access and 300 channels 99.00) Husband paid, but now we are seeing it's a scam! Not only are we out the money we are open to credit card fraud,😭. How would we get around this and how did they lock out our TV internet connection? Any help would be great. The people said it was EZBUY merchant.

Yes, the potential for CC fraud is absolutely there. First, contest the charge with your CC company. Make the scammers try to defend the charge, which they can't. Make sure you can still log into your Roku user account (https://my.roku.com). If you can, change the password immediately. If you can't work with @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD to either regain control of the account or get it shut down and create a new account. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

For what it's worth, when I encountered the scam, it was 100% on my computer.  I saw no evidence that there was an actual hack of the ROKU stick, the Roku app, or the Internet.  It was purely a web scam that impersonated the ROKU registration process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation fee?

Jump to solution

I purchased a 2nd Roku to use on my 2nd tv.  When I tried to activate, a number popped up on my tv when the activation didn't work.  They said my old account was so old, that there was no fee to activate, but there was a $79 fee for 5 years. I didn't hear the fee for unlimited use.  How can your roku device be railroaded with a phone number link to an 800 number to scam folks?  How do I activate the roku express and link to an existing account?  I wanted the 2nd roku because my smart tv doesn't always change channels like it should without to use the Spectrum app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation fee?

Jump to solution

I tried 436sun's search @ Google.com 

The first result was a bad ad pointing to sites.google.com/nk/link which forwards to https://sites.google.com/view/nkbusinesslinks/home an outfit under the name NKtech

There are "activate links" that point to www.geeksafeguard.com.  The page is titled "Official site" and uses Roku's logo and Purple and white color scheme:

fraudulent sitefraudulent site

geeksafeguard.com was registered in October 2019 by an outfit called Promo People.

promopeople.com was registered in January 2004, and is using a contact privacy service, and running their name servers through Cloudflare.

4 or 5 legitimate Roku.com links follow, then more fakes.  Some using Google Sites, then device-roku.com which is registered through eranet.com, a chinese registrar and hosting company.

A quick scan of the first page of my Google.com results has a considerable mix of official and fraudulent appearing results for the search term "roku.com/link".  I figure your web team ought to be able to run analytics for your major site entry points like "roku.com/link" and find the frauds. 

Los Gatos, looks like you have a problem.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Paying for update

Jump to solution

This happened to me just today. I typed in the link, so I thought and someone called me and ask if I wanted the premium service. I told the lady it says right here on the screen Roku does not charge for set up or support. She hung up on me. Roku I am hoping you can fix this problem for other people’s sac. Like my mother she would have feel for this scam. Thanks Everyone 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Iamking1 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

We would recommend contacting your credit card provider to dispute the charges on your account and then try performing a factory reset on your device to set it up again.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Paying for update

Jump to solution

@MOLLIE1 @ChaCha 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Does Roku charge for setting up device?

Jump to solution

I was also charged for a one time activation fee. The Lifetime Plan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Does Roku charge for setting up device?

Jump to solution

I was charged $160 for a lifetime plan on April 5.

0 Kudos