Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: two thiefs who are scaming the elderly

Jump to solution

He is NOT working with Roku. He is a complete scammer, and takes control of people's Roku accounts when you give him your email and password. Contest any credit card charge made by these people. Immediately log into your Roku account and change the password. If you can't log in, the scammer has already changed it and now controls your account. Send a private message to @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD and they can assist with either restoring your account access or simply deleting the account and creating a new one.

Roku does NOT have a toll free phone number, and does NOT charge for user accounts or activation. The scammers have flooded the DNS servers to make their bogus site appear when someone types Roku into the web browser but not typing the full www.roku.com URL. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

$100 charged for roku activation by scammers they are pretending that they belongs to roku support

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a #rokustreamingstick, and then I searched on google about this how to activate Roku device so in results I found a google ad which says activate your device, and it takes me to another webpage and then I dialed a number, and they took $100 from to activate the Roku, but when I get to know that Roku is free I was shocked, and I don't know what to so please is there anyone who can help to get my money back @support team can help me and please check with the website and file a complaint against them this is the website where I paid the money 

Crayz Web Solution

they cheated me big scammers punish them and take action against them asap

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: $100 charged for roku activation by scammers they are pretending that they belongs to roku suppo

Jump to solution

@laurajones 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: $100 charged for roku activation by scammers they are pretending that they belongs to roku suppo

Jump to solution

@laurajones wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a #rokustreamingstick, and then I searched on google about this how to activate Roku device so in results I found a google ad which says activate your device, and it takes me to another webpage and then I dialed a number, and they took $100 from to activate the Roku, but when I get to know that Roku is free I was shocked, and I don't know what to so please is there anyone who can help to get my money back @support team can help me and please check with the website and file a complaint against them this is the website where I paid the money 

Crayz Web Solution

they cheated me big scammers punish them and take action against them asap

Unfortunately, there's nothing Roku can do to assist getting your money back from them. Those "people" are not connected to Roku in any way. Submit an immediate dispute with your credit card company, and let the scammers try to explain their way out of it. Make sure you monitor that credit card for additional fraudulent charges.

Also, immediately log into your Roku account and change the password. If you can't log in, the scammers have already changed it. Create a new Roku user account, do a factory reset on your Roku, and attach it to the new user account. 

Searching the web for assistance with activation is a bad idea, and unfortunately you discovered how badly the scammers have messed up the search algorithms used to find accurate information. I'm a moderator on a couple of other online forums, and I am deleting multiple scam posts daily that are used for this exact purpose. I realize as a new user there was no way for you to know about this. Roku has implemented a new authentication process that doesn't involve going to a web site for activation, so hopefully this scam will die away. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku tv scam to add channels

Jump to solution

Please h eff lp i was scammed by a foreign man saying i had to reset my password in order to continue to get Bravo another Channel added to my Roku device then I didn't even notice that he was having me factory reset my television after he had me reset my television code started popping up on my TV and he said to me now you have to pay a registration fee of $100 and I I started getting very upset and I demanded to speak to the supervisor he pretended to transfer me and it was still him on the phone as I was speaking to him on the phone to New York numbers called in and those numbers were all connected to this one man there is a scammer out there and he is using Roku as his biggest scam this has scared me because now my TV is not working I have two children that cannot watch it and I do not know what to do someone please help me...these are the numbers

#1888.219.59101.st number i called for assistance in adding bravo...#1899.595.4631 fake supervisor number....two new york numbers#518)724.0723. #518)724.0722

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Hmv216 wrote:

Please h eff lp i was scammed by a foreign man saying i had to reset my password in order to continue to get Bravo another Channel added to my Roku device then I didn't even notice that he was having me factory reset my television after he had me reset my television code started popping up on my TV and he said to me now you have to pay a registration fee of $100 and I I started getting very upset and I demanded to speak to the supervisor he pretended to transfer me and it was still him on the phone as I was speaking to him on the phone to New York numbers called in and those numbers were all connected to this one man there is a scammer out there and he is using Roku as his biggest scam this has scared me because now my TV is not working I have two children that cannot watch it and I do not know what to do someone please help me...these are the numbers

#1888.219.59101.st number i called for assistance in adding bravo...#1899.595.4631 fake supervisor number....two new york numbers#518)724.0723. #518)724.0722

First, if you paid any money immediately contest the charge with your credit card company. Next, if you can't log into your Roku account because they changed the password, create yourself a new Roku account. Then, do a hard reset again on your TV and link it to your new account. 

If you can still log into your Roku account immediately change the password. But I think the smart thing is to create a new account. The scammer doesn't have your TV locked, and by doing a clean reset you can link it to your new account and be done with them. If you had a subscription to Bravo from the old account, you might need to contact Bravo to get your subscription moved to the new account. Be prepared to prove who you are. Smiley Happy

If there's any personal information/ credit card info on your old account, send a private message to @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD and they can help secure your information. 

Roku does not have any toll free phone numbers, and they never charge for accounts or activation. Please be careful out there!

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is this criminal activity?

Jump to solution

Attn:Roku management

Please note I could not find a way to report this.  However, I purchased a new roku since I lost my old remote and could not update my new router/modem settings.  Upon installing it Saturday April 4, 2020, my tv screen said I needed to log on the computer for a code.  I attempted to do so but the computer redirected me to an online chat person by the name of Sam Woods from Roku who needed my phone number.  (his listed as a Georgia call).  He said that he had to remote in to my computer.  He did.  To make a long story short as he remoted in when into my computer settings .  He said that I didn't have a "certificate" for my network (it's just a home computer) and that is why I cannot connect my new roku to my tv (remember I had been using one for years) He said that I need to purchase a certificate and he went to a website to show me the link to purchase the certificate of which the cheapest option listed was $299.00  He said that he could help me out by telling them that I was a senior citizen and get $100 off.  I said that I lost my job due to the virus and couldn't afford this as I could barely afford purchasing this new roku.   (I don't have cable).  I said goodbye and noticed on his chat box that somebody named "rick " and joined in...?   Obviously Roku has something wrong going on.  I could not "install" my new roku.  I want my money back $40 plus tax.  Stores are not taking back returns due to the virus. THere better not be any virus computer issues or even any other criminal issues happening here.  I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.  What are you going to do about this Roku?  Anna

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Hmv216 @anna2 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as if you may have contacted by a third party support. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

If you would like us to take a look at your account to make sure everything has been set up properly, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team who will be able to assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku phone scam

Jump to solution

I just had a scammer try and get me to pay $200 for software to remove and protect myself for network Trojans.  I was setting up my new Roku and it wouldn’t take the code at the online roku site.  A screen came up from My Roku activation on my TV that said call if there is a problem, call this number .  I called and thought I was talking to a Roku rep, why wouldn’t it be since I was calling a number generated by the sign in? This man with a heavy East Indian accent told me it was because of Trojans in my network and asked to down load an app so he could connect with my PC. I let him And he proceeded to show me some dos command that showed supposedly all the security software had been shut down.  Well I had just run my Norton and Malware and knew that not to be true.  I am doubting him now and then he said that for $200 he could fix it forever.  I told him I didn’t think he worked for Roku and hung up.  
I deleted the “Rescue Me” or”go assist“ app he had me download.  They seem to be legit but what else did he download on to my PC?  I changed the password to my network and ran some malware software.  Is there anything else I should do?  This is Roku’s responsibility, you were either hacked or it is an inside job.  So much for Roku’s security. I just hope I don't have more problems with someone  accessing my financial accounts or credit cards.  Phone # on my Roku screen that I called for help:  877-475-6463.  This is a slick scam.  No Roku client would have no reason to suspect that they weren’t calling Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku phone scam

Jump to solution

Can you factory reset your Roku and cause the same thing to happen?  I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would like to see a photo of the number on your TV screen.  Several people have reported this happening in the past, but it was never clear if the number appeared on their TV or their computer screen.

0 Kudos