Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku scam

Jump to solution

Hi Kevin, 

These scammers are pretty convincing so don’t blame yourself for falling victim. Look at all the people on this thread that did the same thing. Glad you got your money back and you’re now wiser for it. Best we can do now is educate others to help stop this . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku scam

Jump to solution

Thanks Allsmiles

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey I just got a roku  tv for my daughter and proceeded to set it up but it wouldn’t let me activate with the 4 digit code so it gave me a number to contact to activate it. I’ve seen something saying there are scammers and didn’t know before I called and gave the man my info definitely got charged 69.99 for something that I don’t even know about. I thought he said 6.99 on the phone but that would have even been a scam right? I’m trying to figure out how to get my money back and what I need to do because now I know it was a scam. I have paused my card and am contacting them 1st thing in the morning. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Scam

Jump to solution

@Niylahgillespie 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support. For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

I tried to set up an additional Roku at my house and when I went to the website to activate it I got an error code and directed me to call a phone number. The lady told me that as of January 1,2020 Roku requires a registration fee of $100 for 2 years of service.  And since I didn’t pay that today she said my other 2 Rokus will stop working in a week. I tried to look on the website to find out more about this but it just takes me in circles. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate charge?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

@Darlene12 wrote:

I tried to set up an additional Roku at my house and when I went to the website to activate it I got an error code and directed me to call a phone number. The lady told me that as of January 1,2020 Roku requires a registration fee of $100 for 2 years of service.  And since I didn’t pay that today she said my other 2 Rokus will stop working in a week. I tried to look on the website to find out more about this but it just takes me in circles. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate charge?

NO! It is not true. Roku does not charge anything. When you went to the web site, you mistyped the web address, or used a web search to get to the Roku site. You ended up on one of the scam sites. 

Do a hard reset on your Roku (find the hidden recessed button and hold it for over 30 seconds), then walk through the setup again. When you get to the activation screen, make sure you type the web address exactly as shown, including the https:// at the very beginning. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Was Charged $99.99 for extra ruko

Jump to solution

I talked to a man about my ruko not working and he said I had to pay $99.99 for it because I already had a ruko on another tv. He said this would be good for 5 years. I got scammed because my children have more then one ruko and didn’t pay extra. What do I do now. I have put a dispute of charge on my card. DidAny one else fall for this???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Was Charged $99.99 for extra ruko

Jump to solution

@Chrisklees 

Yes you were scammed it actually costs nothing.

Contact your bank and or Credit Card immediately.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

I was just charged 130 to activate a new Roku device.  How can I get my money back? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Why was I charged a one time $99.99? I was told a new policy starting November2019And all users

Jump to solution

@Djacques wrote:

I was just charged 130 to activate a new Roku device.  How can I get my money back? 

You contacted a scam site. There's nothing Roku can do to help you. First, immediately change your Roku account password. Then file a dispute against the charge with the company that issued the card you used to pay. 

Roku doe not charge anything to activate a device, there's no such thing as any advanced account or charge for multiple devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos