Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Tech support says you have to pay $69.95 to update your roku device.

Jump to solution

@petro883 wrote:

I have recently been scammed for $39.99 by a "company" called Caligeeks during a setup of a Roku Streaming Stick.

Do not call any toll-free numbers during set-up/activation. Roku, please shut down these scammers !

Thank you

I hope you used a credit card and have disputed the charges. Also make sure you update your Roku account password, just to be safe.

Unfortunately, there's little Roku can do about these scam sites. Most often they aren't located in the US, which makes identifying them and getting law enforcement to do anything is problematic at best. I'm certain they'd love to be able to make it happen. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
han65son_gmail
Level 7

On Thursday Feb. 27, 2020, I accepted a phone call that said I had to pay for update and that it would cost $299 for lifetime or $199 for 3 months I said send me an email with the account number and Roku's Title on page she said she could not do that she was the CEO assistant and was told to do this otherwise they would turn off my Roku Channels.   So I said turn it off I am not paying nothing.   I don't know if it was a scam but things are still working!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

Re: Scam

Jump to solution

It was definitely a scam, there is no fee for Roku devices. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Sibyld
Level 8

Support / Activation Scam

Jump to solution

Don't visit https://vincomsoft.com/, this is a certified Roku Activation SCAM WEBSITE. It's going to ask you to enter your TV's link code and say that it's not working, and it will redirect you to a website asking to CALL a number, by which you will mysteriously get disconnected after speaking with someone. They will then call you back and say that you need to pay $100 or more to Activate the TV.

@Roku Team, I hope you can take action on this.

Vincomsoft_Roku_SCAM.jpg

Vincomsoft_Roku_SCAM2.jpg

boogernose
Level 18

Re: Scam Website

Jump to solution

Thank You I notified the admins.

Go Daddy.............figures!

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
encskir
Level 7

Activation fee $100.00 US

Jump to solution

I too, was recently charged 100.00 to activate my Roku 3939SE. The foreign speaking gentleman said I needed to make my payment to Capital IT Solutions, which I did. I got the device working and was given a phone number to call if I had any issues. I did have issues, (of my own doing, forgot my password) so I called the number and they helped me resolve the issue. Then a few weeks later I found that this was possibly a scam and started looking into it.  I went into Roku.com and set up my account with a new password and joined this community.  I even tried to call Roku and found there is no support phone number on the site, the packaging, or quick start manual. I did find a phone number for Roku in California, but when I called I got a message stating that I could not get support at this number and had to go to the website. I find it very odd that support doesn't have a phone, I'm beginning to think this company doesn't care as much as it says about helping the customers.  

Was recently scammed into paying an activation fee of $100. to Capital IT Solutions. How do I report this to the proper person. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Re: Activation fee $100.00 US

Jump to solution

The best you can do is dispute the charge with your credit card company (I hope you used a CREDIT card.) Otherwise, there is little you can do, other than having learned a lesson that search engines are easily fooled unless the real company pays Google/Microsoft, etc... millions of $$$ to prioritize common search terms.

0 Kudos
encskir
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks, I appreciate the feed back.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Activation Scam Website

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know. We've gone ahead and shared your report with our team. 

We also recommend reviewing the information here for additional recommendations: https://support.roku.com/article/208757068-will-i-be-charged-for-customer-service-device-activation-...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@encskir 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experienced.

It sounds you have been contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos