Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Activation scam

Jump to solution

@NewUser20 wrote:

Lori2,

I hope things work out for you. I set one Roku stick up a month ago. I started to set up a second Roku stick today, but I used my iPhone instead of a laptop. I followed the instructions and when I got to the step after entering my code number, I wasn't sure what to do. I searched on Google and called a number, which I now think was a fraudulent number. The number I called was [content removed]. This person said that in order to set up a second Roku account, I had to register the account and pay for either a five-year or a lifetime plan. He also asked for my password. I didn't know it, and he then sent a link to reset my password. I just tried to log in to my account using the new password, and I receive a message that my token is not valid. 

I finally set up another account with different passwords but the same email address. The Roku sticks are working on both TVs, but I'm concerned about giving my password for my initial account to this person. Any advice would be helpful.

It was absolutely a fraudulent number, and a scammer. Roku does not have a toll-free number, nor do they ever charge for accounts or support.

You need to completely close the original account, especially if you had a credit card associated with it. Send a private message to either @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD and they can assist you. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dan,

Thanks for your post. I don't know how to close out my original account and keep a new one. I hope someone from Roku will be able to help me today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

Info here on closing out a Roku account:

https://support.roku.com/article/208756028-how-do-i-close-my-roku-account-

If you have already linked your Roku(s) to a new account, you can skip the note about resetting them to factory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

For those hit with this scam, are you actually giving your Roku account login and password? Or if you didn't create the account yourself, they are setting it up for you?

I  hate to be harsh, but if you tell ANYONE your password, you are an idiot. A legitimate contact, if there is a password issue, can either directly access the account, or will reset the password to something and/or send a reset email that lets you reset your account password.

You probably do not need to remove your Roku account, but should immediately change the password to something VERY different than previous.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

andyross,

Thanks for your reply and for the link to cancel my account. I now have two new accounts in which I installed the Roku devices from factory settings. I don't know what happened to the first account I created. When I tried to log on with a password I created yesterday, I could not get access. The person I had contact with yesterday probably took over the account and changed the password. Can Roku help me find the first account? 

I'd appreciate help from anyone. I'm feeling pretty low about falling for this scam.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@mjhatten @Lori2 @Rhc @NewUser20 

Thanks everyone for letting us know about the issue that you experienced.

It sounds as you may have been contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

To activate a device, use your link code from your device and go to the website roku.com/link on your computer or mobile device. This is best done by typing into the address bar and not searching through a search engine.

If you would like us to take a look at your account and make everything has been set up properly, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Level 7

Re: Activation fee?

Jump to solution

We had the same scam.  Attempted to activate a 3rd and 4th Roku and when it said to go to roku.com/link when we put that in a google search bar several results came up and we called the number that appeared (844-540-7444) and got the spiel about having to pay for more than one Roku... Should have known that it was a scam since we already have 2 Roku's.  However, somehow the new Roku's worked after we gave them the activation code (4 letters).  Not sure how that is possible.

And unfortunately I gave them my credit card number and when I saw a bill from something called Colossus Ventures I immediately called the credit card company and had the card terminated.  My concern is if they now have access to my Roku account.  I am pretty sure I did not give them my Roku password but will change it just in case. 

Pretty convincing scam.. the representative even said to call him back if we had other problems, and that we should get a follow up call on how satisfied we were with his service!    

Roku should investigate how a roku.com/link appears so high in a Google search... and warn people to only use that exact web address.  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was setting up my friend's ROKU Express today and I had to call "customer service" to activate it. Foreign person told me it was because a service charge for access had to be paid. He said the terms and conditions had updated on Jan 11 hence the fee. I did my research and found out this is totally false. Don't fall for it!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I fell for this yesterday - very sophisticated outfit named Live Tech Solutions.  I worry that it's been about 24 hours since I figured this out.  My bank is on it but I did give these a-holes my Roku password.  They also offered a "free" Hulu account if I opted for the "premium" one-time fee of $129.  So be careful!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Why is this happening with the Roku.  You try and set it up and the code won’t work and then they give you a number to call and some Asian gets on the phone and somehow takes over your tv, Roku or router.  Not sure how they do it.  They wouldn’t help me unless I paid 59.00 and I had to pay through PAyPal.  Why is this bogus website coming up when a person needs to register a new Roku.  I am not understanding how the scammers are taking over my Roku when it was new out of the box.  

0 Kudos